Show reviews that mention
site family people information memorials memorial cemetery members website member
Filter review

Findagrave "buried" my great grandmother in the wrong place

find-a-grave hoarders strike again. someone who never met my beloved greatgrandmother had her info wrong--had her buried in the wrong place. I went through the trouble of making an accurate page and the hoarder (38000 graves and no photos, meaning she never got off her fat behind and did any real research) was extremely rude to my polite and gracious thank-you-but note, demanding my photos and demanding I get off the site. And find a grave defends this sort of behavior. They need to limit everyone to no more than 4000 memorials, about the maximum an enthusiastic genealogical researcher might have of their own family or local small graveyards they might have photographed. Or they need to say "no memorials without actual photos of grave or person or both" Horrible site, horrible people.

I agree. I can't even get my grandparents from a hoarder.

She just wants everyone with her (and my) name. It's disgusting to be so greedy when you are not even related.

#520974

Jane I think that is wonderful that you do the work for them. We need more people out there like you.

Its kind neat that hoarder's have their own clean up crew. This should enable them to continue adding names from death indexes to random cemeteries.

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth! You know, sometimes cemeteries are known by more than one name, sometimes they change names and sometimes adjoining cemeteries overlap and can cause confusion so stop reading malicious intent into honest mistakes. That's why there is a suggest a correction feature. I get them and I send them, all in the interest of improving accuracy.

As far as the so-called hoarders I have created over 10K memorials and have no problem transferring them to family members. Furthermore, any allegations that some are anal about losing numbers is fallacious because a person always the credit for creating a memorial even if it is transferred.

So remember, ignorance is not bliss. Get the facts so you don't look foolish.

What I run in to the most are people competing for the most contributed No they do not walk cemeteries and take photographs they search the web for online indexes and then copy and paste a name. I walk cemeteries taking pictures and the time it takes to photograph edit pictures and research each persons name is time consuming.

I have about 3,000 memorials contributed and 5,000 photographs added and i work from local cemeteries and local church records that I go down to the church to get transcribe burials and add them. Or I collect a list of names with no photo and go find those names to add a picture for people

Are these adults leaving these comments?

Most time its someone who thinks that know where some one is buried. My g grandfather was a real pain.

When he did no one wanted to claim his body so it went to a medical school.

The person who posted it was going by the schools records I had the death cert. She was very nice and correct it...

There are some good people and then you have the rotten ones who ruin it for all other...

I agree that Find-A-Grave was a great concept originally. Lately the "hoarders" have started entering fictitious grave memorials. Last week I noticed a grave memorial for a great great uncle in a cemetery that I have personally searched numerous times and know there is no grave for him there. This gr uncle is buried in another cemetery in the same county where one of his descendants has entered a memorial and a photo. The person who entered that fake memorial entered one in the same cemetery for another gr gr uncle who died in another state. I find these fradulent practices appalling.

This person is using a local history book written within the last 30 years (hardly a primary source document) and based upon a statement that all of that family was buried in that particular cemetery, he is entering grave memorials.

No one at Find-A-Grave appears to care that the site is being ruined by these people.

I plan to start submitting my gravestone photos to the US Gen Web Archives Tombstone Project instead.

@PissedConsumer366944

I know this thread is old now and noone may see my comment; but I still feel the need to apologize. Even as a researcher/volunteer I have found numerous errors on profiles and photographs as well.

There have been instances where I have acknowledged the errors; some were fixed and others are still floating around in cyberspace. I believe, honestly, that some of these errors remain uncorrected due to the lack of understanding on how the website works and the special features. It took several years before I realised that we had a messanger/ email account to interact with other cite members. It may be that the person who entered the information has either not seen the request, or they may not know how to correct/edit the information.

Even while I am creating lists to photograph, I manually handwrite the requests and I make notes from the profile such as other family members, notes from obituary, etc. I have found many errors that way just today. Plus I feel that extra information could assist while walking the cemetery in order to locate the burial site. I only photograph locally, and have done very few thus far, but will be heading out soon to take photos.

I feel that if I am willing to volunteer to take these photos then it is my place to double check and then check again.....before posting an image. These are our loved ones, our forefathers and mothers. Not all volunteers are about the numbers.

If I only ever assisted ONE family in their quest of genealogical information, then I would still feel that my work had been done. Hope that someone somewhere sees this and has a second opinion about people like nme, who do care!

Just because you can doesn't make it right. Yes the rules say hoarders can refuse to turn over memorials to actual relatives.

However, there is only one reason for doing that--wanting to rack up brownie points. If genuinely wishing to be helpful to others, as claimed, the memorials would be graciously turned over.

Most people are very nice, but a few *** people are out there spoiling the whole endeavor for everyone. Hoarding other people's dead relatives is *** and weird, no matter what the rules say.

How about all these low life geezers quit trying to claim that it's still only grave documenting website. If that were actually true, they wouldn't be allowing cremations.

Quite a few of these number snatching hoarders have tons of cremation memorials. Definition of hypocrisy.

View more comments (19)
Payson, Arizona

Deleted 87 memorials

I also becamea a member of findagrave and was very excited and put on about a hundred memorials of my family only. I put in many hours of work I found that a few of my relatives had been put on by other contributors and I agree with the previous person that many of them are hoarders. I asked this on contributor to transfer those memorials to me they were very basic some of the info incorrect. When this contributors and others refused to transfer my family's memorials to me I proceeded to make duplicates. I put pics, bios or obits and tried to make all of them consistant. Some of the other contributors did not like it because I had a few duplicates and harrased me. One person, made a duplicate and attached that to my memorials making it look like that my great grandparents had two children by the exact same name when I tried to get that peson to be reasonable and we could do a memorial together she refused wanted it her way or no way. She reported me and I was threatened that if I ever did that again I would be thrown off the website. About a month ago my brother called me about a certain contributor and what she had written in her bio saying that just because you are related does not mean you have the right to those memorials etc. Being an all around ***, so I posted a public message on her bio because I did not have access to her email, she told me that I was in the wrong because I complained that she would not transfer the memorials that I had not followed procedure etc. I asked her what right did she have to put other peoples families on findagrave did those people ask her to do that I certainly had not well it seems that the management termed I had been inappropriate and removed all of my memorials. Somewhere down the line the people that run this websited have determined that they are "God" and can do what they want well personally even though they destroyed a lot of hard work I do not want my name associated with such a website that thinks that they have the right to keep family members memorials etc away from their living relatives who only want to honor their loved ones. People should only be able to put only their family members parents grandparents etc on this website. My aunt found this website after I told her about what they had done. If they thought they were hurting me no way I lost a lot of work but at least my name is not associated with someone who thinks they have the right to play "God" Sylvia

I nicknamed them this because it's true, they hoard these memorials on Find A Grave and it blows me away. I've been researching my family tree for 15 yrs.

now and have actually helped many many others without charging them to get started researching their trees. So a couple of yrs. ago I found Find A Grave and thought, wow, what a great genealogy tool and then I ran into a nightmare. I was born and raised in West Tenn.

and so were my parents so that is where my major research is and I ran into a big time memorial hoarder. These people on *** talk about the RULES of *** but they break them all the time, they've got a *** contest going as to who can hoard the most *** memorials to the detriment of us who have family buried in these cemeteries. I have seen mistake after mistake on these memorials of names, dates, etc. yet if I contact them most of the time they won't go to the trouble to correct the memorial.

They're not suppose to make memorials from obits and they're surely not suppose to put living family members names on these memorials but they do. This person I ran into seems to have access to obits on the spot and if anyone in West Tenn. dies she has a memorial page made on them from their obit before they're even put into the ground. I know this for I've found memorials she's made the day the obit came out in a newspaper.

I kind of ticked her off early on so she refused to transfer my maternal gr.mother's memorial page to me. She had made the memorial because she found my gr.mother buried in a national cemetery with her 2nd husb. who had served in WWII. I lived out of State and didn't go to this gr.mother's funeral nor was I close to her in growing up but that didn't mean I didn't want to own her memorial on ***.

I told another *** member about this in that area and she got the memorial in a round about way and transferred it to me.

So there are getting to be more jerks on *** than not who are into only hoarding memorials, they don't give a hoot as to who is buried there are their history... :roll

#520978

5 YEARS 5,000 MEMORIALS 16,000 PICTURES GONE MONEY AND TIME SPENT TO HELP OTHERS THIS SITE ABUSES WHAT YOU DO. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE UP AGAINST BECAUSE REALLY ALL IT TAKES IS ONE HOARDER AND YOUR OUT.... THE ADMINISTRATOR ENCOURAGES PEOPLE TO ADD NAMES FROM DEATH INDEXES TO RANDOM CEMETERIES AND PUNISHES PEOPLE WHO GO TO THE CEMETERY AND ACCURATELY RECORD AND PHOTOGRAPH.

ADMINISTRATOR TANYA

I'm sorry if the first added memorial for Stephen Jewett was added to the wrong cemetery, and yours was added to the correct one.

We may remove the memorial for Stephen Jewett from Find A Grave, but then you will not be able to create another one.

I love find a grave, thanks for helping me find my lost family. If that's not concrete evidence I don't know what is!

I love being able to leave flowers and notes.

Create your own genealogy website, that's the place to add all you want and own it. Link your find a grave family member memorial to it or save the picture and add it to your collection, where ever that may be, even a shoe box will work.

Love find a grave!!

I found several of my relatives on the site and thought it was wonderful. There is no way I could travel to the different states they are berried in.

I love the add a flower/note feature.

That is where I added additional information about my relative for others (mostly thinking of my current and future families to find/read). I agree, it is a great site and has helped a lot while working on the family tree.

they locked me out for about 9 months and when i told them i want them to remove the 30000+ pictures i had added they let me back in but they had transferred alot of my stuff to other people who were not even related. i am not going to say anything to them for fear they will lock me out again and tranfer the rest of my stuff

@PissedConsumer397572

I found a relative's memorial with a bio completely incorrect.

The information was about the relative's mother and not her.

I asked that the bio be corrected and sent the correct information.

It was not corrected. I sent a polite note and asked for a transfer since it was my relative. Denied. I emailed and left public messages but nothing was done. I hate for history's sake that this information about this person is completely wrong. What can I do? I wont make a duplicate because that would not be right.

Duplicates deleted, degrading to the site and taking up valuable webspace

:cry

Good grief, Find A Grave is a GRAVES REGISTRATION website. This is its PRIMARY purpose, to register the existence of GRAVES. No one is playing God, we find a grave and we register it. We document cemeteries before they disappear. So many gravestones are no longer readable, or are broken, damaged, and crumbling with time and the elements. We are getting them on the site to preserve them before they are gone.

It is NOT a family tree or genealogy site. You do not build your trees at ***. There's plenty of software out there for your genealogy research. *** ain't it. Read the FAQ's before you get your panties in knots over what you think should be the rules.

And you INTENTIONALLY duplicated original memorials. That's a huge NO NO. One person, one grave memorial. That's how it works. You go thorough the channels to ask for more information and links to be added. You DO NOT need to "own" or "manage" anyone and everyone you are related to. If someone will transfer a relative within the 4 generation guidelines, wonderful. If the relative doesn't meet the transfer criteria, then you don't need it. What happens if 3 or 4 great great grandchildren (5 generations, out of guidelines) all contact me wanting to "have their relative"....hmmmmm??? Who do I pick? And no, we are not hoarders. We are caretakers of the registration of the grave.

Yes, if you cannot play by the rules, you are not welcome.

:cry

Yes, if you cannot play by the rules, you are not welcome.

No one on Find a grave owns memorials..They took the picture it's theirs. Get over it.

You create a page it's a duplicate and that is a no no..That can and will get you kicked off the site...Go find somewhere else to post a memorial for your dad there are others out there.... God Forsaken Woman? Oh please!!!

Grow up! :roll

View more comments (31)
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
Find A Grave Website
Here is my letter sent to Find A Grave staff July 8th 2011. Dear "Find A Grave" Staff, The Name of your site makes it Very Clear. However, For Me, your Format was misleading. Your Format seemed to have been developed to share Family Heritage. With places for Birth &...

Get off your soap box you should try leading by example. I sure did enjoy the work you copied from Charlene's memorials.You may not know her by her real name? you called her a toad after you participated in getting her account deleted and then you duped her families memorials.

does this refrresh your memory of who i am talking about you wrote:

A full out escalation of disgust came when I found she triplicated and plopped the Hill family in the three largest cemeteries. I knew where the Hill's where located and it really pissed me off to find them and then have to tell this *** toad

Arlington, Virginia
Find A Grave Profile

Find a Grave.com has'nt responded to request

I recently became a member of Find a Grave.com and was excited about adding family memorials. Unfortunately, I forgot my password. I emailed a request to Find a Grave and they said they emailed my password to me, but they haven't! I've submitted request repeatedly but I've never received a response. I can't access any memorials I've done, nor can I submit new ones. I'm just disappointed about what I thought was a great way to submit information for memorials and genealogy use. I'm retired grandma and was looking forward to doing all this stuff. This is first time for a post, all new to me. If anyone knows how to help or fix this, would appreciate it.

ask for help.. oh wait you cant get anyone to respond and if you do ask for help they caqll you idiotic

Thank you for the suggestions. I will give them a try.

There is no need to post or interact with the other users on the forum though. Simply send a pm to the one of the listed mods/admins on the forum to take care of the issue stated above.

DON'T got to the forums. They will attack and belittle you.

Register on the Find a Grave forums and then send a pm to one of the moderators there with what you stated above. This seems to work the fastest. Good luck!

View more comments (4)
Saint Peters, Missouri

Forum Corpse Horders at it Again

Some unfortunate newbie unknowingly threw up the Bat Signal when she asked a simple question in the Help Forum. As usual the same Flying Monkeys swarmed her with the usual arrogant, nasty answers. They succeeded in driving her off the boards but then a few pages later 2 more unsuspecting newbies made statements/asked questions. Wait for it...wait...in 5,4,3,2,1 and cue the Flying Monkeys. The same people are back quoting FAQs, jumping around with their skirts over their heads trying to get attention from JIM TIPTON and the admins. "Look at me, look at me! I know the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary reason for Find A Grave! I obviously have a lot of time on my hands because I add thousands of Memorials, make me an Admin toooooo!!" It is actually hilarious to watch them try to outdo each other. These Hoarders (see Flying Monkeys) constantly whip themselves into a frenzy, usually it is kick started by someone mentioning that some people are "in it for the numbers ", Bat Signal goes up. From there the Hoarders steer the discussion to how virtually everyone (except them of course) on FindAGrave is there to fill in their family tree or somehow try and beat the system (Eye Roll). They go on for pages about the Photo thieves (don't post them if you don't want anyone taking them duh) , "Ploppers", "The Gimme Grabbers" "Dupers" "Name Collectors" and on and on…and on…and on but do not call THEM Hoarders. They are NOT Hoarders, oh no siree, they are simply adding data to a Grave Registration site because that's how JIM TIPTON (say his name with reverence, like they do, cause, ya know, you just never know when he could single you out and reward you with the coveted admin position but I digress…) intended the site to be when he first created it. (Viagra was intended to be a High Blood Pressure med, but I am fairly certain the primary reason has been superseded by the Secondary and Tertiary reasons, wouldn't you agree?) Maybe one of the Hoarders can plead with JIM TIPTON to disable pictures, linking and biographical information for each memorial since that is what is drawing the Game Grabbers, well I'm pretty sure they think of themselves as family or the very least descendants, but the Horders view them as thieves, just trying to steal one of their precious numbers….or photos. The Hoarders must be exhausted, constantly on the watch for anyone who might try to mess with their Hoard. If they weren't Hoarders they would always transfer to a family member "outside of guidelines" and if the original memorial was deleted after the transfer and resubmitted by said family member just to screw them out of the credit, so what? Apparently this happens to them ALL THE TIME. The idea is to register the grave right? It shouldn't matter who gets the credit. Apparently, it does because the Hoarders spend hours in the Forums seeking validation from each other by discussing ad nauseum the people who "won't take no for an answer" and "refuse to play by the rules". Their obsession with those who "refuse to play by the rules" is particularly ironic since not long ago there was a thread about certain cemeteries that will not allow pictures of headstones to be taken. Apparently the Hoarders are not going to "take no for an answer" they all went on about the clever ways to take pictures without the staff catching you, hilarity ensued when they took turns describing how sneaky they were in getting the picture of said head stone, good times. Fortunately the Hoarders have a double standard for themselves, they "refused to play by the rules" of the cemetery and were able to jack up their photo numbers too. Say it with me …H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y

Totally agree. They're like the republicans of Find A Grave.

A lot of those members are a pathetic lot. Jim Tipton must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I did not know how upset people were getting about me using different names on this website. I assumed because the site tracks the town and state people would be able to identify my posts.

In July something was wacky with the site.All my posts are listed under Madison Wisconsin from July 1, 2012 to July 27,2012 On July 28 it changes to Minneapolis, Minnesota. I will now stick to using one name to help you all out but if I forget remember all of July Madison WS and Minneapolis Minnesota to date.

PS Its not very nice to call people corpse hoarders and flying monkeys :sigh

Hmmm.... Anita Bracken uses names like this: flying monkeys, cronies, corpse hoarders..so isn't that the kettle calling the pot black??

I found your blog and all though you claim anita bracken uses these terms I can not help but point out that there is no reference of her using them?

I see here that you created them.

you are using them. Do you have something going on that causes you to project your own behavior on to someone else and claim it to be repulsive.

Miss Kitty, (is that an homage to your 19 cats?) Little tin cup.....Oooooo good one, you really put me my place. I guess you have the last word on this, I simply cannot compete with your edgy wit.

Now that you have set us all straight you job here is done. Get off the computer for 10 minutes, go outside, breathe the fresh air, feel the sun on your face. You remember the sun right?

Pssssst, I'm a girl.

@ TheyWalkAmongUs you're right they do and you're one of them...Now be a good boy and hold your little tin cup out and I'll put some pennies in it for you!! :)

Aww gee...Listen to the whiners want some cheese with that whine? Sounds to me you(Koda and theywalk) have a serious problem...You know gimme gimme gimme then when you don't get your way you come here and whine and cry about it...Oh boo hoo poor poor you! Grow up!!

Oh and I failed to mention - that was done without a word to me. I didn't know it had taken place until I DISCOVERED it.

I only wish they WOULD "ban" me. They took my $15.00 for sponsorship of 3 memorials I created then gave them to a "HOARDER" because he wanted them for his "Cemetery Collection".

Those 3 were direct Ancestors of MINE. So now it looks as though I'm "sponsoring" (at $5.00 each) 3 memorials that it now LOOKS as though I didn't create.

Hypocrites?

Ha! Try THIEVES.

@Kenny D.

From reading your comment below it is apparent that English is a second language. Just wanted to let you know that A LOT is two words.

[B]Richard Pea[/B] :cry I think you are leave alot out that you created duplicate memorials and your were warned, but you kept on pushing the issue, that is why you were ban, so stop sling false information. :x

View more comments (22)
Raleigh, North Carolina

Find A Grave: CemetaryPhoto Removal

Hi I went to add some flowers to friends and relatives virtual memorials on Find A Grave this morning, and found that all but one of 15 grave/mauseleum photos had been removed. They Had been taken and put up on my memorial pages by volunteer who had my permission to do so. I am dissbled and annot travel and those photos of my Mom, Dad, sisterAunts, and dear friends meant so much Others have have had their cemtary photos remove too Why did they do this If anybod could she light on thisit would be deeply appreciated T hanks Rose
#521971

Please do not listen to the follow the rules and you will be fine i did listen to that and a lady who adds names from death indexes to random cemeteries had mine deleted in the correct cemetery and threatened the family members in her public bio probably the administrators mom 505 Firefly

I have been slapped for this before, but NBC news stated that if you load your photos to a digital web site like *** or Facebook, you lose your claim to that photo. *** can even sell that photo.

But on the same story, folks on this site are literally copying copyrighted books and posting here. They claim public domain. Public domain is for government officials, not ***. Public domain can be used everywhere, but that is just an excuse.

I would like for the Supreme Court to rule on this.

I expect in the very near future with enough complaints to the attorney general of each state, this will stop. If not the ones doing it will be fined or *** shut down.

It's pompous to believe that because someone has provided a (free) service to you that it entitles you to steal it and use elsewhere. Ancestors are not "property" but intellectual materials and photographs are.

Did you steal all your term papers, too, just because someone already published the information and you managed to get your grubby fingers on it?

I've never denied anyone using my photographs, but luckily - most people I've met have had enough tact to ask permission and offer to leave a credit to me.

Some photos have even been used in publications without compensation and I'm fine with that. A decent attitude, a little appreciation, and offering to respect their work goes a long way.

@Grave finder.

I received an email from Ancestry.com that one of the photos I uploaded was flagged as copyrighted and that I should remove it. That blew my mind.

My ancestors grave copyrighted?! So I took it off my family tree and requested for ANOTHER volunteer to take the photo and mentioned that it would be for our family tree even BEFORE the new photo was taken. It was, and the person said no prob you can use it! But low and behold, after having this back and forth conversation with cluckymom at findagrave, telling her how dare she think its ok to photograph someone's family headstone and then MAKE them ASK permission if they can use it...well, I find myself banned from the forums and my profile deleted.

All I have to say is: Forget that madness.

I thought Findagrave was a godsend, now I know that site is all about people trying to CLAIM the rights of my ancestors final resting place just so they can have power over others. *** off.

"How Sad" --I am a photo volunteer and encourage others to use my photos. It makes me sick to see other volunteers mad that people use their photos.

I am here to help others, not get glory for myself. If you are so concerned about copyright and getting credit, you should stop photographing.

I am a volunteer on *** and I have readily given permission to anyone who has asked for them to use my photos on their own website or family trees.

The point is, the proper thing to do is to follow forum guidelines and get permission before using the photographs.

That there are those who choose not to follow guidelines established on a website. Someone is kind enough to go out and find specific graves and take photographs of the headstone -- without compensation, giving their own time, and gas to get there.

Then the recipient of the volunteer's kindness is repaid by someone disregarding the guidelines of the website and copies those photos for publication on a different website. Wow.

Really does encourage people to want to volunteer, doesn't it? Did you bother to even contact the photographer in advance and ask if they would mind?

File a copyright complaint with my ISP? Hahaha!

"Unbelievable", you are just plain nuts. No, she didn't have to take the pictures, but she did. If she didn't want me to have them, she could have let another volunteer do it.

The pictures are staying on my site. Get over it.

Unbelievable, your crazy rant is so precious, earnestly citing some ambiguous "FEDERAL LAW", asking people if they are "slow", I am picturing you as some old crone with dial up, neck veins bulging out while you furiously type your "threats". So cute.

Sadly it does not change the fact that no one cares that you and "many people are very actively filing complaints" Who exactly are you complaining to to? The Supreme Court? I don't think they take complaints. You can file complaints all day long, nothing is going to happen, you know it, I know it and the people "lifting" your pictures know it.

I think I may file a complaint about you to someone about your atrocious grammar and your bullying of the OP.

You don't want people to take your so-called copyrighted picture? (Puh-leese :roll ) Don't post them online to a site that gets upwards of 10,000,000 hits a day. It really is just that simple or ARE YOU SLOW?

@PissedConsumer296239

The photos are copyrighted. As to who to complain to, the website or its ISP.

Hit them with a takedown notice. Any site foolish enough to ignore takedown notices is risking a lawsuit and copyright lawsuits are easy money for attorneys. Many are settled out of court or before judgment and it's why you rarely hear about the majority of copyright lawsuits.

Ask Roni Loren how much it cost to use photos they thought weren't copyrighted. Many volunteers are professional photographers and they have a full copyright protection on all of their works instead of the basic copyright.

View more comments (24)
Reston, Virginia

Find-A-Grave - Photos of Memorial Monuments

For those unhappy about finding photos of your family members memorial monuments and considering it infringement of your privacy: 1. When someone dies, they no longer have civil or legal rights 2. Find-A-Grave preserves history and does a wonderful service for those working on heir family history and genealogy 3. Anyone can walk through a cemetery or mausoleum and view the final resting places of the deceased. The cemeteries and mausoleums are open to the public. Cemeteries and mausoleums are not your private property. Others are not doing anything illegal by taking and posting photos on line. If you don't like what you may see on Find-A-Grave, don't go to that website to view the content.

The contributors are opening private family cemetary gates that are locked 24 / 7 and entering without permission. How dare you.

How *** dare you. I swear to god I'm going to sue each and every person for trespassing that I can lock onto using that website that have done so. Invasion of privacy, criminal trespassing, disturbing the dead, do any of these charges sound familiar? because they will soon enough.

The whole idea escapes me that a privately owned *** PRIVATE graveyard is being entered. How do you even find it? how? and then I see my grandmothers stone on the internet for your enjoyment?

this is recreation for you? you think you are researching geneology?

you are stealing information and distributing it across the internet. i'm thinking class action to shut you and everyone like you down.

Public cemetaries may be public but guess what sunshine. Private cemetaries exist where private gates are kept locked and meant to keep the public out. you are advocating invasion of privacy and disturbing the dead as well as criminal trespassing

Its not a crime to tell your child he/she is a piece of garbage everyday so everyone should do it?.... To all of you who think the site is great thats wonderful!

my question is why do you think because you feel that way it is a universal thought. Bad news the world is full of people that have different views and do not deserve to be attacked for having different views.

They need to be respected as do you. If what you do makes someone feel violated and then not only do you make them feel violated you come on here to make them feel like they are less then you is sad and thats all you are is sad

Rella and those so ate up with hatred we can only say a prayer for that God will ease their pain.

I am in agreement with Roland.Here is a chance to do something nice. If you take a photo think of how you are keeping a memory alive.

You may help someone find family members or people in the future to do genealogy. Pat yourself on the back. Its free. Can you believe That???

Something free!!!!" Those of you complaining about emails not being answered need to volunteer your time at the site. There is one person doing this.

Its stated right on the page. Stop stamping your feet.Be thankful.

Here's what my Bio page on Find-a-Grave states about my photos, mostly of my family, but sometimes of their "neighbors for eternity" too:

"Feel free to use any of my grave marker photos any way that you want to, as none of them have any artistic value which would be covered by the intent of the Copyright clause in the Constitution."

The people who irritate me most in life are those who are MOST LIKE ME--that has been a hard Truth to accept and learn to get past. I can't change them--I can only change my attitude towards them.

Get over yourself. I know that *** jumped out of the computer and beat you to find them.

No you went looking. Just like you went looking for this site. As far as hurt, what hurts will make you stronger.

Move on or throw away your computer. It is your choice for the computer does not turn itself on.

Excuse me, all the grieving folk. Let me tell you what this site is to me.

Its a way to find my entire family tree. Its wonderful, to find everyone I love be on this memorial list I have created. I have not asked any of my family members for the rights to do this. I have created a book of everyone in orders, every person gets their own page.

Invasion of privacy....nope! Look it as a way of your loved one being known to future family member searching for them. I was excited to find old photos and gravestones of my ancestors. I added photos of my great grandmother that many of my realatives have never seen.

I tell you why, she died in 1920 when you were lucky to have a handful of photos, if not just one. She had one photo and two coies...all owned by my grandfather, her son. Now with a click of a mouse ALL my family can see a photo of her and a story. The deal is this the greatest thing ever and someone always had to complain.

CRAIG, YOUR STORY WAS RIGHT ON AND EXCELLENT.I like the way you think. These humans finally have a chance to come out and be recognized again, when they have simply been forgotten. I loved the saying about" PEOPLE LIVE ON FOREVER, AS ALONG AS YOU REMEMBER THEM." Well, I tell you all those that whine, one day you will be dead and no one will have a memory of your loved one because you stood infront of the an incredible desire to let these people continue to thrive and be apart of this moment, cause a nice volunteer kindly posted a photo. Maybe the photo is not for you, but for your desendent that one day reaches back in the past and wants to see who this person was.

I AM SO GRATEFUL BECAUSE SOMEONE WORKED SO HARD, THAT I FOUND MEMORIAL I NEVER KNEW I WAS RELATED TO, BUT THANKFULLY SOMEONE PULLED THE VINES OF MY ANCESTORS HEADSTONE AND TOOK A PHOTO ALL THE WAY IN ENGLAND, TO VIRGINIA, AND TO NORTH CAROLINA. Remember some people will complain when something great happens, but more will rejoice.

You're a perfect example of the type of rude person I'm talking about.

What I know about the forums is what I've read here; I looked at them when I first joined the site but didn't post anything. I haven't read them since.

I've always been pleasant to the people I've interacted with; I don't typically announce that I've fulfilled a request unless there's a need to communicate additional information; my photos are high quality. I don't think the problem is ME, and you have no basis for assuming it is.

Further, don't assume I'm a hoarder. I've always been happy to transfer memorials on request, and have proactively transferred memorials to people I know are actively researching a particular family or cemetery without being asked and regardless of their relationship to the family. I've never filed a complaint against anyone, nor have I denied anyone use of a photograph, nor have I caused any drama.

Your hostile reaction is EXACTLY the reason I stick to photography and don't interact on the forums.

I suggest you learn some manners.

Hey "Yikes" your pants are on fire. You stated that "you couldn't pay me to hang out in the forums", it that a really big lie or just a little omission kind of lie? As in you are happy to be a bully over there for free?

If all you do is take pictures on Find a Grave how would you know if people were rude or not unless you "hung out in the forum" where they go on about that very thing every 3 or 4 days. If your statement is based on experience and half of "you" don't even say thank you then I suggest you find yourself another little hobby if all you are looking for is praise. You must be very unlucky with who you take pictures for, I have always gotten a thank you. Hmmm, maybe it's, oh I don't know...YOU?

Get over yourself. Hoarder.

View more comments (40)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Find A Grave Genealogy Record

I'm new to findagrave and after reading these complaints..

I am likely going to stop posting to the site. Reading about online stalkers, terrible admin. people, posters who will not return emails, etc. has gotten me worried. I saw one suggestion online, which was to write to ancestry.com to see if they might start a similar service. I am going to do just that, because in theory maybe some of the crazies will NOT have access to that website. I think like many issues with internet services, findagrave is free and entirely open to the public. That brings good things and bad things, obviously. I would be infuriated if some of the things that have happened to other users happened to me as well, and at this point I'm worried about those things occurring. And when the people who are supposed to be in charge are treating others with such intense disrespect and are being so petty, I think it's a big issue. The place sounds like it's being run by middle schoolers. Again, I have never had issues with the place. But it sounds like it's just a matter of time... So I am going to write to ancestry.com to ask them if they would consider starting a similar service, and I guess I'd suggest others do that as well. Good luck to all who are having issues.

Yes, I'm a thief and there is nothing you can do about it. I will continue to profit from the deaths of your loved ones I will continue to violate copyrights.

How else can I get a picture of your loved ones unless I have my members steal them from the obituaries you paid to have printed in your local newspaper.

So what if you paid for the burial plot and the gravestone my website is going to profit from pictures of that gravestone. Deal with it I'm rich and greedy and nobody is going to stop me!

I left findagrave and now use billiongraves what an amazing site! A faster process built on teamwork.

I will never go back to the findagrave website.

It is neglected and people cyberstalk and bully on findagrave. It is just not a safe place to be.

After reading about find a grave, I hope to God that none of my loved ones are on that site. Maybe they should record pet cemeteries instead.

There initials for the site F,A.G are extremely offensive, it would be like starting a site with the abbreviation of the very offensive N word. And the reading the behavior of Tipton the owner of the site as well as the administrators they sound atrocious. Shame on tipton for making money off the dead by selling sponsor ships that get deleted. He might as well be a grave robber along with his administrators.

Free or not I'd rather pay for professionalism.

This Find A Grave site should be renamed Find A Powertrip. Horrible

There initials for the site *** are extremely offensive, it would be like starting a site with the abbreviation of the very offensive N word. And the reading the behavior of Tipton the owner of the site as well as the administrators they sound atrocious. Shame on tipton for making money off the dead by selling sponsor ships that get deleted. He might as well be a grave robber along with his administrators.

Free or not I'd rather pay for professionalism.

This Find A Grave site should be renamed Find A Powertrip. Horrible

There initials for the site *** are extremely offensive, it would be like starting a site with the abbreviation of the very offensive N word. And the reading the behavior of Tipton the owner of the site as well as the administrators. Free or not I'd rather pay for professionalism.

This Find A Grave site should be renamed Find A Powertrip. Horrible

OH ?? If there are jerks in the forum why are they not being reported and removed ???

so it can be used by respectful people??? seems like a backward Idea to kick good people out by banning or scaring them out....So the abusive people can have the run of the place

Yes, friend, it's "just a matter of time".

And whatEVER you do, do NOT give them any money for ANYthing.

:cry

Ancestry.com? Don't they have enough of the market, lol, and one has to pay for access.

I have seen the behavior mentioned and find that if I stay away from the forum the site retains it's charm ;)

I am not new to find a grave, photographed and entered 1000's. There are many "contributors" who make their own rules and get by with it.

All that have posted about the forums and admin are very correct. I had a simple question that was not in FAQ and you cannot believe the hostility I was met with. That is twice and by same people. Some of these "pets" have over 20,000 - 40,000 posts-so you know they sit there all day.

Then you have the nice ones which try to attempt cover for the horrible people. You will be fine if only enter & photograph-I have met some great people too.

Good luck. Hope ancestry will come up with a site!!

Clydene, I agree with no headstones. I'm going to be cremated and thrown into the wind. My descendants wil have other pictures besides headstones to see.

View more comments (14)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Find A Grave Website
Who gave anyone at this "hobby site", the "right" to stand on my father's grave and take a picture of his tombstone? Unlike the many "famous" people and their graves that begin this site... it has now devolved into a grave violating hobby for a bunch of people who...

The United State of America gave them the right to stand wherever they want. Deal with it.

You don't own anybody and you DO NOT get to choose who is remembered on a website and who is not. Are you ok? Cuz THAT just happened! hahhahahahahahaaahahhaahhahahhahhahahah

First you can tell your old *** granny that her husband was a Nazi and there are lots of people that want to find his grave online so they posted it.

People like to come and *** all over the graves of *** like your Nazi grand-pappy. You have no idea who he knew, and who knew him throughout his life, and you don't get to control his memory, we do, hahahahahahahahaah owned you *** tard.

Salem, Oregon
I have been a member of findagrave for over a year. I never put up any photos of other families' headstones, only those related to me. I volunteered to take photos for others when I could. When I wanted to add a memorial for my great uncle, a WWII vet, I found...

Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Newark, New Jersey
Find A Grave Forum

Find a Grave doesn't work.....

I have entered more than a dozen names into the search box at findagrave.com. Absolutely none of my relatives' graves were revealed. Is this actually a database or a joke? I'd rather get a spanking than waste my time with this.... I am wondering if the names and graves had to be entered by another individual in order for a researcher to find any value in the site...? Or, perhaps the database contains only names and graves of individuals in specific geographic locations or only information within a certain time period. Can anyone tell me how this site is supposed to work???

Just like all genealogy, it has to start somewhere. Why are you so concerned, since did not bother to place them there.

Look in the mirror and see the culprit.

The main problem with *** if not enough folks who will add a few more than their relatives. If everyone did this, then we would have pictures on most memorials instead a very few.

My biggest complaint with this site is the fact that several members refuse to transfer memorials that they created of my relatives, even if they are not related. Some of thse folks, are cemetery walkers, transcribers, who have no relation to the graves that they record.

While this is a valuable and much-appreciated service, it boggles my mind that there are some there that do not care if this is your great-grand uncles memorial, 'they' created it, so 'they' should not transfer it, 'Because it doesnt fall within the Find A Grave guidelines'...meaning a closer relative than a great-grand-uncle (as an example). FAMILY IS FAMILY. It doesnt matter to me if you created a memorial of my g-g-g-grandfather, if its my family, and not yours, then you should transfer it. This should not be negotable.

The moderators are of no help, as they have their favorites, and if you have the misfortune of one of their favorites creating your relatives memorial, and the favorite wont transfer, then you are out of luck. Some of those contributors care more about pumping up their numbers, than doing the right thing.

This is a terrific site until you tick off the CR staff once you do that forget it they delete your memorials purge you from the website etc. Do not communicate with you,or ask if are guilty of what you are accused of and yes when you search their data base even though your relatives are there they do not always come up. And even if you ask nicely a lot of the time your memorial will not be transferred to quote one contributor just because you are a relative does not mean you have the right to own the memorials and I am within my rights by not transferring just think if I had the time to add a hundred thousand memorials to this website I would not have time to eat, sleep etc

I agree with the people who complain about recent deaths. There should be a 30 day waiting period for family to post a recent death.

If it is posted by a non-family member and they refuse to transfer, the memorial should be taken down. I have complained once about this and *** transferred it to me. As a whole, the site is wonderful. If you do not like the site, you do not have to ever go there.

I have found in life that some folks' alarm clock goes off to the tune of ***, ***, ***.

They could never be pleased in the front seat in heaven. Life is passing them by and they cannot do one thing about it.

Thanks for all the volunteers

Findagrave.com is done by individuals that volunteer their time to take the pictures and do research. For the most part I have found them extremely accurate and when I did find an error, I wrote the person that posted the listing and they immediately corrected the file. I do professional genealogy research and find the site one of the best, most accurate sources I have ever found.

You create the memorial yourself & can "visit" it anytime. You can also post pictures, memorial messages, etc.

I LOVE this site!

As Christy stated....this is done by volunteers and if you can't find your relative listed then they have not been entered. But if you know the name of the name and location of the cemetery, you can become a member, for free, and add the relative yourself with all the info that is asked for (or just some of what you know) and then request a photo be taken of the headstone and someone will take it for you. Some people on the site only do that...take photos for people who request them and not enter any data in the system.

I found that a lot of my relatives were not listed in the cemeter I knew they were so I just added their info. I was able to find a cousin buried in Florda and was able to view his grave stone, I am very happy with the site. It is good for doing one's family history.

The grave information is all user submitted. If you can't find your relatives it's because nobody has recorded their burial info yet.

View more comments (9)
Decatur, Indiana
My story is outlined in my blog at http://en.wordpress.com/tag/jim-tipton/ I have just reported the site to the FBI (Intellectual Property Theft Division), the US Copyright Office, The Los Angeles and New York Times, and intend on reopening my case with the Better...

Hate this find a grave page! It's invasion of privacy and makes up ***.

Los Angeles, California
Find A Grave Account

FindAGrave Admins Are Rude

I have been a member of FindAGrave for a few years and have had my fill of the rude admins. they have running their site. After reading a "help" forum, I was so irritated, I decided to end my membership. This comment wasn't even directed towards me, but this unprofessionalism is the norm, rather than the exception. Actually, there are two admins that are rude all the time. One being counted58x. Below is how she responded to someone's question in the forums. She is an absolute "B"! Why would anyone want to put up with these people? Originally Posted By: ludlowbay With regard to recent forum conversations concerning headstone cleaning do's & don'ts, I would still like clarification about the punishments that are repeatedly mentioned for failure to comply. I am NOT advocating any challenges to the discussion of proper cleaning methods, or the Find A Grave system in general. I find only one mention of suspension in all of the FAQs, and that is in regard to charging money for taking photos. I find zero mentions of banned or time out. If another member speaks in the forum, purportedly on behalf of Find A Grave and says "you can be given a time-out or permanently banned", I want to know where I can find the official version of that statement. HER RESPONSE (counted58x): My goodness. You do have trouble taking a hint, don't you? We completely rewrote the FAQ last year and made them much more exhaustive. Do we need to spell out every little thing? Don't chalk. Don't touch a stone that doesn't belong to you. Don't worry about consequences unless you do things we've told you not to do. That should be sufficient for adults to understand.

That "member" is Tipton's wife. She's the biggest B of them all!

#620948

Jim Tipton is ***.

All the pitiful little maggots that he lets drive the sight are on the same level as Tipton; ***. They're pathetic little vermin with no significant lives of their own.

I removed all of my additions/submissions to the site and denounce anything and everything that Jim Tipton and his pathetic little minions stand for.

@PissedConsumer620948

HERE HERE! Very well said! Concise, accurate and to the point!

@PissedConsumer548303

And me? I guess I must be from Englewood, Colorado. That what the post says :zzz

Seems that administrator the one that wears the red lamp shade to cover her devil eyes who also wants what she refers to as pests to play in a microwave loves to suspend members account...it speaks volumes of her evil character.

#519882

I think you get what you pay for :grin and since tipton does not have to pay them they are just volunteers dealing or rather not dealing with issues in their spare time. Their only ability is to ban people when people get upset that they don't follow the rules and are bias in their application of said rules or ignore them all together my 1st ever encounter was with Julie who deleted my memorial and replaced it with one her mom made from a death index and added it to a random cemetery.

Then Julie duped the memorial deleted the 2 photos of the headstone and place a new photo request I was like OMG seariously abusing a volunteer system because you dont want me to own my own memorial !! sick

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT (counted58x)

View more comments (7)
Peoria, Illinois

Unprofessional Admins. on FindAGrave

I have been a member of FindAGrave for a while now and have seen almost everything imaginable. What really upsets me is the way a couple of the admins. talk to members. There is one broad, countedx58 who is probably the worst. Below is a comment she made earlier (she quoted another individual and then added her two cents). Very, very unprofessional!!!! Originally Posted By: ludlowbay With regard to recent forum conversations concerning headstone cleaning do's & don'ts, I would still like clarification about the punishments that are repeatedly mentioned for failure to comply. I am NOT advocating any challenges to the discussion of proper cleaning methods, or the Find A Grave system in general. I find only one mention of suspension in all of the FAQs, and that is in regard to charging money for taking photos. I find zero mentions of banned or time out. If another member speaks in the forum, purportedly on behalf of Find A Grave and says "you can be given a time-out or permanently banned", I want to know where I can find the official version of that statement. HER REPLY: My goodness. You do have trouble taking a hint, don't you? We completely rewrote the FAQ last year and made them much more exhaustive. Do we need to spell out every little thing? Don't chalk. Don't touch a stone that doesn't belong to you. Don't worry about consequences unless you do things we've told you not to do. That should be sufficient for adults to understand.

What is wrong with someone taking photos at a national cemetery if national cemeteries are sending the information to FG to make the memorials in the first place? Your condemning her for doing what she's doing when the cemeteries are the ones sending in the info? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

LKat has been reported to FSH and they have assured me that only family can give permission for a gravestone to be photographed. In fact there was a local story about the ongoing problem with f.a.g.

members violating cemetery policies not just a the national cemeteries but local private cemeteries. They are onto these vultures that are helping jim tipton profiting from gravestones in their cemeteries. The local news even had a video from a family member that recorded LKat going down the row taking pictures of gravestones at the national cemetery and the administration was appalled. They have her licensed plate number and have informed the workers if they see her to contact the office and they will have the police serve her with trespassing after she has been warned.

Good riddance no more vultures at FSH! She will also be ticketed for not have a licensed plate on the front of her car...she doesn't like to obey Texas laws typical f.a.g.

vampire. lmao, you could use to lose weight and not just off you as..s.

We are aware of L. Kathleen Caldwell and have advised her that she/he is not authorized to photograph gravestones, graves or temporary markers unless they are her immediate family.

We are trying to get a handle on people that are violating cemetery policies.

Please inform our administration if you witness anyone taking photographs at the cemetery.

@PissedConsumer641851

Wow, I love how you tried to make this look like it is 'officially' coming from Fort Sam Houston Cemetery. Yes, this is exactly the forum in which they would respond. It is not illegal to take pictures at a government cemetery.

@PissedConsumer645359

Can I assume LMAO, based on your use of sarcasm that you are a active member of findagrave. I do thank you you for the comment because it will help new users understand what kind of people are using the site and that they will have to interact with them.

If anyone wants to use an abuse free website try billion graves its amazing you can upload personal photos and bios for each person and the process is less time consuming and less expensive. The owners are in the billion graves face book group and are happy to help you solve a problem by actually responding.

@PissedConsumer641851

Applause!

FIND A GRAVE MEMBER LKAT IS NOTHING BUT A FILTHY VULTURE, SHE STANDS ON FRESHLY BURIED VETERANS GRAVES (BURIED THAT DAY) @ FORT SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL CEMETERY. I HAVE WITNESSED HER FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS STANDING ON FRESHLY BURIED VETERANS GRAVES & THEIR SPOUSES GRAVES TAKING PICTURES OF THE TEMPORARY MARKERS SO SHE CAN RUN HOME AND CREATE A MEMORIAL.

MY GRANDFATHER WAS BURIED THERE 2 YEARS AGO AND I SAW HER BEING A VULTURE AND ASK WHO SHE WAS AND WHAT SHE WAS DOING...TURNS OUT SHE IS A FIND A GRAVE VULTURE!

FEEDING OFF THE DEATHS OF VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILY

@PissedConsumer546940

She has been reported to the cemetery administration. Hopefully she will be banned from the grounds. I was assured that what she is doing is not only illegal but will not be tolerated.

They work for free that is what qualifies them Tipton likely retains 100% profit and gets everyone to work for free Proof administrators cannot handle the job they fill can be seen with the hundreds of people they ban

View more comments (21)
Peoria, Illinois
Find A Grave Forum

Find a grave should be called find a gossip

My name is Cindy McPhee, I last wrote here because I was really upset about find a grave unprofessionalism they never would explain why they turned off my account and picked on my Little sister (just because she was related to me) I at first felt taken advantage of because I had cared about the nice people and the angel's that I had flowererd and then I finally called the BBB, and when I got angry they answered me, when I was nice and friendly they ignored me, they changed my memorials to their own words and let me look like the creator still even though they took ownership of my memorials, not my grandma but the other memorial's i wrote they were murder victims, they erased that they were killed, when everyone else there has murdered victims memorials made they bullied me and let so many of the other members gossip and write horrible public board lies about me and my deceased husband "Let the dead rest, rude people at find a grave" I filed my complaint about how I was treated very poorly, and I was told they are being investigated from alot of not just the BBB but other agencies as well, if they were more professional and fair they would be ok, but since they act so rude to people who cared about their site, they show their true colors AJ, Jim tipton, Darlene this girl that thinks she owns the site, and people who are there just for flower counts and running people around like they're in high school still being bully's. I call this place Find A Gossip, They left a very sick slanderous lie gossip story about my dead husband and me for atleast 3 days over a month and I had asked nicely 4x to please erase this note since they deleted my husbands memorial, and a fake memorial took his place, they didn't care about my dead husband. I just found out it is barely off it took that long had I written it I would have been in trouble but when their people write rude lies and slanderous comments seriously defamation of character they let it stay they just now erased it because I think this is no longer a joke it's gotten serious, my sister has an account she is afraid to even get on and leave a flower for our dad and grandma, because they said they are watching her and she doesn't do anything, so threats to her go unwarranted my also my 18 yr. old has an account for his dog that was shot last christmas, they deleted his account because he was related to me also but, then restored it, he is going to the Marine's in June he did nothing and they deleted him like my sister, I spoke up so yes, they of course deleted me but my sister and son wo, obviously because they are related to me, they both don't want to go on because they don't need the lies and drama of whatever lies will be made up nest, So instead of find a grave, I call it find a gossip, I enjoyed the nice people but when the admin. people are so unfair and controlling and just plain unprofessional and have their favorites, then it becomes something totally different as long as you don't ask any questions why they are treating you or your memorials a mean way then they feel they own you. well, it's sad there, I have gotten emails from across the world that I met there and even all around the usa, about this site. It's ridiculous some people just want to see who can pass out the most flowers or who gets the most flowers so so sad, not there from there heart but like a competition. They do have some good people contributors there and they have been very caring and encouraging to me and my family. As for the people who run *** I have to say it's too bad for the way it is run. Blessings to Angels in Heaven.

AJ is one of the worst. He uses fake names. He uses private information to bully. Dont believe a word about what your read on their "privacy policy"

He thinks he has everyone fooled. You can tell its him

by his sarcastic little remarks, name calling, and threats to blackmail. Iv filed a police report and blocked the site from my computer. Better to file a police report prior to something happening so that when it does they will know who to deal with. The police let me tell you did not think this was silly at all after I copied their threats and showed it to the officer. They can hide behind fake names but they can be identified.

I will keep sending my complaint to the BBB along with copies of my credit card charges to get a refund of the memorials I foolishly sponsored.

BEWARE OF FIND A GRAVE!!

BEWARE OF JIM TIPTON & DEB DASH!

#519891

awwww :sigh Im sorry you were attacked you are not the only one. There are some really great people on the site and using the site for what it is claiming it is.

There are to many of the other kind of people like kermit who get off on putting other people down. The website is not meant for posting memorials to represent the people that you love.The nasty people push you out.

20 years is a long time to be away from the love of your life. My heart goes out to you.

There are several people on findagrave that are interested in NUMBERS of memorials that they can do up... doesn't matter if they get them right or not...just how many they can do!

I have sent information to this one person and SHE continues to ignore my requests..she doesn't transfer..she doesn't make changes...

so I just let it go... I have reported it to findagrave...if they want to let her continue doing this...it is their right to do it...

Cindy,

I have never had any trouble getting someone to delete something or edit something... I have had trouble when *** was down...thinking that my stuff had been deleted..but it never was.. just wondered what went wrong?

Cindy,

@Guess- HAHA! My thoughts exactly!

@kermit also proves my belief of the find a grave elitist ***. As for @Find a Hobby's comments, the poster @Bdub slandered her, how? Look up the definition of slander, sweety. And, if anyone is guilty of libel, it is the Goddard woman herself.

A quick google search will bring up her bio page. How dare she create a "virtual cemetery" defaming the names of people who choose to use chalk on a headstone! Guess what, chalking is not illegal. Referring to these individuals as "culprits" is ridiculous and childish.

I've also searched through the forums and I'm assuming "Jackie" is the same woman. She makes harsh and shameful comments. I notice she has her email address removed and comments shut off.. Hmmmm, wonder why???

Hey, find a grave!

You ban people for other childish reasons, yet this woman is still a member. How is this?

@Kermit, you are wrong, obituaries ARE under copyright. For someone who is complaining about grammer and such, you need to brush up on your spelling. It's spelled COPYRIGHT.

Mrs. McPhee's letter is incoherent, a garbeld mess, poorly written and obviously a cry for help.

(Mostly from a 9th grade English teacher) If you are a person interested in genealogy find a grave is a valuable tool. Obituaries are not copywrighted nor are they private. When you write one be careful because they will be on the internet forever. If a person has entered information incorrectly then contact that person directly by his or her email on the site.

If you have no success with that then by all means contact the Find A Grave website directly. But I think your objections will have to be stated a little more coherently than in the above letters.

What a mish mash of the worst syntax ever.

:roll

Considering it's a volunteer run website, like any other if you don't like it you're free to move along to another. I also sure Ms.

Goddard will be more than pleased to see the public slander, libel and humiliation she's been subjected to by your statement. Besides an education, perhaps some social skills and psychological counseling would help both of you.

View more comments (13)