Show reviews that mention
site family people information memorials memorial cemetery members website member
Filter review
A morbid person named June posted memorials on my wife and my brother. Then this same person left derogatory comments about me on those same memorials. I complained to Find a Grave and instead of removing the comments, they removed the memorials even though I am a...

Yep they are scammers who work in your business. our people learned this from firsthand experience.

Denton, Texas

Find A Grave Protects Stalkers and Harassments

I signed up with this website 7 years ago... added 2 people I knew, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BEFORE, thought they had their act together, until one of my own passed on, so I made a memorial for her since her sister decided to have a friend post an obituary in a newspaper cuting out the entire family and claiming to be the only living relative, whats the next thing?, Well here they all come, posting on Find a Grave Website on this memorial made, I even got an email from one of the whacks that are a friend and big trouble maker of the deceased and her sister,I got called mental, every name in the book, chasitized for posting a warning to this friend not to come on here and post that they are not welcomed etc. Well When I seen the display of sarcasmn, ridicule and slander... I wrote to the Administrator telling them to remove ALL of them except the ones that posted long before they did... oh they removed them alright but only left the sister up there when I made it clear to remove her because shes been following me all over, attacking me etc, yeah I reported it to every offical I could but it seems these people have more rights to slander and libel then we do when we are trying to respect their precious rules, *** me! If anyone sets up an account on this site they will be sorry and I do have the proof to back it up, I have had do delete the deceased's account 3 times now restarting a new one, they found it each time,posting and bugging. I dont know why anyone would expect someone to tolerate this type of behavior and not say a word or defend themselves, it seems just about every State has these lil glitches protecting this type of trash, I have no respect for this and its been now nearly 2 months since the deceased passed on which by the way was Dec 25,2010 by method of hanging, yes she committed suicide. Remember all your privacy is not private. This took place in another state from where I am, on top of this the deceased's aunt who is a C.S.W happily gave out the phone number and possibly my where abouts to the sister which she was not suppose to do, because where this is not even my own house nor is the phone in my name and it's really caused allot of friction and problems with the person whom does pay the bills here, I think thats messed up to allow someone to put your living status at risk on top of this ***! So take aim people, we all are being stabbed in the back by liars! And even if putting a complaint on here dont get nothing done, I am within my rights to freedom of speech! MY FIRST AMENDMENT!!!!! I hope its yours as well! God Bless you all! Good luck with the TRUST value, its 0 in my book!

I was bullied by a member I have copies of all the messages with his attacks and threats, I have sent them to the attorney general, I suggest you do the same...since the administrator that wears the red lamp is the bully's friend she helped him by banning my account and ignoring my complaints. beware of members that have friends that are administrators they will continue to make bogus complaints until they get you banned.

I cannot believe i was a member of this site before I ran in to the the disturbing behavior, All it took was a 1 time encounter with an admin who bans and abuses FAQS and photo volunteers. I like another person I know have vowed to warn others about the shady side of this site and FG STALKERS COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK DENISE HARDEN CHARLOTTE STOUVALL ALSO KNOWN AS PIXIE DIXIE BUGABOO AND CJ.

they block me on face book and log in under other names to read my posts :eek :upset :eek :upset :x looking up info on my kids. Hey Jim Tipton Good To Know You Protect stalkers but ban chalkers

I don't think these people know how how to pay attention to anything, skim through these complaints catching what they think suits them them remark on it like children. Your ignorance is showing, wonder how many times you embarrass yourself on a daily basis using the net to reply cause you don't have the integrity to face anyone in person, an article should be written about you and how immature you are, bet that would grab your nerves now wouldn't it.

Oh and Find a Grave is based out of Utah, so writing to the Attorney General of Utah regarding any of this sights so called administrations hassling anyone on these complaint sites should do the trick. The site should be more professional if it wants to build a good reputation of its use instead of sending its Chihuahua's to *** at the ankles of a user - that's pretty pathetic retaliation if you ask me.

Attacking anyone on any memorial is sinister. Its also illegal to harass and follow someone that is considered stalking.

Whether there is family issues or not, a site that advertises a business should provide standards to respect its users.

I agree the site should provide tools to avoid this type of nonsense, they would catch more bees with sugar.

Free service or not, it still provides a sponsership to make its money; the entire concept is to cover all basis irregardless of what others may seem to think or feel. That's the problem with today's society many dont think out the whole thing and that's what causes problems.

@SG:Find a Grave has nothing to do with the info of someone being givin out... When this info was passed on to me, out of shock I myself being in another state put a memorial site up for my daughter which was attacked by others who have no eithics.

The policies of info on C.S.S.

are stated as fact, no person shall release any info of another, second of all by doing this it only caused problems by others. Never the less it was out of line and WRONG.

I am sure Find a Grave may mean well in its efforts to offer a service for those in mourning but when others like what I and perhaps others have had to experiance with no tools to remove or block a unstable poster this is where the problems arise.

Again Some dont use their brains and that's what God gave all a brain for, how you use it or abuse it is on You however there are consequences to be paid when its misused in a fashion not suitible to the other party. And no one should have to experiance that kind of behavior by anyone at any given time!

The policies of info on C.S.S.

Happy Graver Wrote:Exactly how were you scammed? You were NOT. You did not have to pay a dime to join or create a memorial.

Duh George, I never said I was scammed on Find a Grave, Get your facts straight as for the Aunt she is the one who foolishly gave out info where I was. Yes the family has this issue but I am not the one who created it, THEY DID And yes it is being dealt with, because for the better judgement was not good judgement.

And Yes the Website Does not monitor its activity and it does not offer any tools to remove posts not necessary, sounds to me like you work for them and dont want to be called on the carpet.

People who post a memorial do it so others who wish to visit in a decent way. Contacting them however can at times never be completed. Never the less I got the logs to back it up.

How does Findagrave have anything to do with the deceased's Aunt giving out inf on you ? I agree with Happy Graver's comments, the problem is with the family not the website. Hope the family can work things out, life is to short.

I don't see how Find A Grave is the source of your problems. Seems to me that the problems your having is with the family of the person you posted. NOT the website.

YOU made the choice to create the memorial page. Which can be found with a simple web search. Odds were pretty good that the family would find it. Find A Grave admins are not there to deal with squabbles between family and friends of those it memorializes.

Your problems are rooted with the family not the website

View more comments (8)
ID
#220256 Review #220256 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Dallas, Texas
Find A Grave Account

Findagrave deletes

I have posted several memorials to Greenwood and Oakwood cemeteries in Montgomery, Alabama and had them deleted. One person is responsible for this Denise #4698****. She has just deleted my memorials and entered the same memorial with her name on it. One day my memorial is there and the next day it is gone. There have been a couple of times she claimed they were duplicates; but the birth and death dates are different. Sometimes the names are close but anyone can tell it is not the same person. I have complained to findagrave about her but nothing is been done. After reading the comments here I understand a little better about how findagrave runs. It is a shame that they are letting people like this represent them. It will be their downfall. You don't hear about many complaints because they do delete people off their website if they complain too much. This happened to a friend of mine who complained about this same person. I think about leaving the website; but I have been a member for over 5 years and have put a lot of work into it. If my work keeps getting deleted I want have a choice. I am glad for the chance here to express complaints and hope others will feel free to do so. This is the only way we can change things.

After reading about find a grave, I hope to God that none of my loved ones are on that site. Maybe they should record pet cemeteries instead.

There initials for the site *** are extremely offensive, it would be like starting a site with the abbreviation of the very offensive N word. And the reading the behavior of Tipton the owner of the site as well as the administrators they sound atrocious. Shame on tipton for making money off the dead by selling sponsor ships that get deleted. He might as well be a grave robber along with his administrators.

Free or not I'd rather pay for professionalism.

This Find A Grave site should be renamed Find A Powertrip. Horrible

I don't know anything about you except that you have a twisted recall of events and exaggerate and stalk peoples kids, because you advertise it. you stalked me i dint stalk you so i cant send you an email. why so you can tell me you have my IP address

what you are is a liar who targeted someone and complained to an admin so you could control an entire cemetery so no one thinks your an admin we do think you are is a verbally abusive stalker that lies and that is really all it takes.

1 thread = every thread 1 memorial= is 75 million.

Anita says flying monkeys cronies and corpse hoarder Denise do you need me to show where you authored and created those words. Strange no reference of me using them but i am posting links to where you

Anita is following me yet you provide proof of following Anita and none that demonstrates she was following you this site sends you an email.

in order to determine any truth to your twisted intake of events and your perception of them, it seems i would have to take everything you accuse charlene of and turn it around. so you stole pictures and lied to admins claiming Charlene stole them. That is how you presented it to admins who took your word for it but it was a lie because admin did not know you blame others for your own crimes you had to stop her because you are in charge of a cemetery. The lady you accused could not defend herself not knowing when you play that you lie to benefit your own needs. She also did not know what you lied about so she could not defend her self.... Now Charlene never gave me the hole story she couldn't because YOU FLIPPING SCARE HER! STALKING HER KID AND BROTHER NOT HeR DEAD RELATIVES DENISE HER KID AND BROTHER they are alive !!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously my brother has a personality disorder and he does the same thing commits a disturbing act he find sick and says someone else did it and scolds them for it....He also exagerates openly like you do 1 memorial = 75 openly and gets busted because he cant keep track of all his lies....NO ONE WONDERS WHY YOU WERE CHASED AT GUN POINT NOW THAT YOU ARE STALKING MY KIDS

I am still not an administrator, don't have one in my pocket and the woman in question had her account suspended because she misrepresented someone else's work.

Since you seem to know so much about me send me an email.

PS this is how you spell exaggerate

@PissedConsumer524105

Yes you are an admin.

Your name is ----- We all know it.

Everyone Everyone is onto the scams

You use the same old insults over and over down to the "exact" words.

Everyone is leaving this site because of you.

Hide behind user names. Your words and your style of writing give you away. People have saved your comments to provide to the police.

#520308

you dont have to be an administrator you just have to have one in your pocket. That being said your argument is not valid.

So maybe Jessica you should use your brain and think outside the box and not assume it still cant be done. The hoarder I dealt with lied lied 3 times about her memorial status and moved it around.

In tight with an administrator you can get what you want from the administrators. Denise here has a tendency to exagerate facts go read her verbal assault against this poor lady and she even drags some of her family through the mud

And I am not an administrator. You have been a member as long as me which is four years.

I just had you beat by two weeks.

Stop trying to bend the rules to suit yourself.

It ain't your sandbox and you would not have lost your "work". :grin

@PissedConsumer508778

Yes you are an admin...

No its not anybody's "sandbox" it is a "litterbox"

You think we dont know that admins can change the site to make it look like they have not been members for long, steal other people's work, rip people off, backdate memorials and hide behind user names

#441960

Unless someone is a Find A Grave administrator, they cannot delete others' memorials. Use your head.

View more comments (8)
Tustin, California

Horrible "Admins"

I have contacted find a grave about a complaint several times over the past year with absolutely no response. I first tried using the address info@***.com. After a couple of months of no response, I decided to contact the admins directly, starting with the one who calls himself AJ Marik. I waited a few weeks and, you guessed it, no response. I then sent emails to every address listed for the admins. No one has ever gotten back to me. My emails contained no disrespect and contained a proper "subject" as stated in the guidelines. I think that this website is very poorly run and obviously plays favorites with its "top" contributors, forum hounds, and memorial hoarders.

That same ***, Anthony Jerome, "AJ" Marik deleted 5 years of Biography work I did on a grave I found belonging to a Medal of Honor awardee with the help of his only grand child. F.A.G.

had created a memorial with NO grave, a violation of there own guidelines. I had just heard that the Congressional Medal of Honor Society had vetted all my research and were beginning the process for getting a marker placed. All my hard work was finally being vindicated with a marker! I went to update my memorial and it was GONE.

The F.A.G. memorial still out in La La land with all the old bad information. So I write Katrina asking what happened to my memorial in such and such Cemetery. Then I get a response that my email was forwarded to AJ the archivist and if my issue had not been resolved to email.

Well of course nothing was resolved so I emailed AJ back and got this from him.

"The memorial for Mr. Siegel that you created in 2010 was merged into the existing memorial. Find a Grave does not allow duplicate memorials under any circumstances."

So I checked the memorial link he sent and it was now in the correct cemetery they had deleted mine from but had none of the information mine had and they had even deleted there incorrect death date and left it blank. He did not even transfer the flowers.

Now F.A.G.

had always led me to believe if you find a grave and create a memorial and there is another one that has NO location and is just out in La La land that the memorial in the CORRECT location will have the other merged with it.

Well there was no merging at all in this case just deleting and flat out lying.

Well karma is coming for AJ you my friend! You keep beating your dog and one day he will turn and *** your ***.

@PissedConsumer1078910

Report it to ancestry.com. They need to know how these people treat us.

AJ Marik is a powerwhore as are all the other so called "administration" remember the so called "faq's" stands for frequently ask questions not RULES they are just "guidelines". We are all hopeful that ancestry will eliminate the "administration" and allow former members that have been banned because of "favoritism" and bias in favor of top contributors. Jim Tipton is nothing more than a heartless mormanmoron.

... and the nature of your complaint?

Their admin is not the most responsive, but it does appear that they have a priority system in place.

Perhaps, your complaint is low on their list. Perhaps you should become a little more of a "squeaky wheel"

Jim Tipton is a f.a.g. r.a.t!

He and his pinions should have be tarred and feathered. I hope everybody takes their dogs to take a big f.a.g.

S..H..I..T! on his families graves!

@PissedConsumer657501

Interesting tack, but effective???? If the memorials are "FREE", then they must be the product.

This is a lucrative business venture. In the words of Milton Friedman, TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

f.a.g. administration are bullies & unsrupulous!

@PissedConsumer570679

THEN DON'T SUPPORT THEIR BUSINESS. Let their advertisers know that you won't by products that avail themselves of their product.

Get you friends and family to do the same.

I can't believe the person calling themselves OMG just commented by saying bucko? Are you serious?

And they wrote it in all caps! This is a prime example of the behavior that goes on at f.a.g. The level of immaturity is unbelievable. The site is run by ego maniacs and most of it's minions are immature, ego-inflated, bobbleheads that have nothing better to do than disrespect the deceased and their loved ones.

Their comments speak for themselves and expose them for what they really are. "Let him rave on, that men shall know him mad"....Yul Brenner, The Ten Commandments.

don't understand the previous comment? However, I totally agree with the complaint find a grave administration only addresses their friends issues.

I suggest you contact the BBB of Utah, (that is the Better Business Bureau of Utah) and place a formal complaint they are not in good standing with the BBB, lets all keep it that way, since f.a.g. does not care as long as they continue to profit from the deaths of our loved ones.

View more comments (36)
ID
#208931 Review #208931 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Rochester, New York
Service
Find A Grave Forum

Find a grave put my 6 year old daughters pic

Find a grave.com photographed my 6 year old daughter's headstone and put it online. I was aghast when it popped up on my monitor. I have contacted the prosecutor and state police. The prosecutor says that I can file a civil complaint about this infringement against the guy who took and posted the picture. This person will not answer my emails and the police have located him. I feel this infringes on my privacy, copyright laws and personal property of mine being placed on the internet for advertising purposes. I'll write again to let everyone know the outcome of this.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to do that IF it was a public cemetery. Sorry.

Company Name Find A Grave Inc Headquarter PO Box 522107 Salt Lake City, UT, 84152-**** Tipton, Jim Marketing Executive Marketing Manager-Level jim@***.com Phone Number +1.801.671.4677 Industry Business Services Employees 25 - 100 Revenue $1 - 10M Ownership Privately Held

Good luck with that. Nolo bono is still in the legal dictionary.

If the pocket isn't deep, you have wasted your time, effort and money. There are more porductive uses of your time and more positive ways to celebrate the life of your daughter.

I hope that disgusting Tipton is found dead in a pool of his own, rancid urine and *** after drowning in his own vomit. He's a disgusting specimen of a vermin species. Go to ***, Tipton, you thieving SOB.

yeah all you f.a.g. members keep working to help jim tipton make millions you s...uc.....kers!

Find A Grave and its members are grave vampires!

Company Name Find A Grave Inc

Revenue $1 - 10M

Ownership Privately Held

Copyrights:

Newspapers and Copyright

Everything published in a newspaper is protected under copyright law. Copyright law grants the legal rights to a work of intellectual property to a certain party.

Web Content Is Copyrighted, Too

Just because content published on the web can be easily cut and pasted doesn't mean it is any less protected than content on the printed newspaper page. Newspapers are vigilant about protecting their copyrights, so if you're going to paste a clipping of an article to your company or organization website, always make sure you request the permission of the newspaper before doing so.

10 Big Myths about copyright explained

An attempt to answer common myths about copyright seen on the net and cover issues related to copyright and USENET/Internet publication.

- by Brad Templeton

Note that this is an essay about copyright myths. It assumes you know at least what copyright is -- basically the legal exclusive right of the author of a creative work to control the copying of that work. If you didn't know that, check out my own brief introduction to copyright for more information. Feel free to link to this document, no need to ask me. Really, NO need to ask.

1) "If it doesn't have a copyright notice, it's not copyrighted."

This was true in the past, but today almost all major nations follow the Berne copyright convention. For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not. The default you should assume for other people's works is that they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you know otherwise. There are some old works that lost protection without notice, but frankly you should not risk it unless you know for sure.

It is true that a notice strengthens the protection, by warning people, and by allowing one to get more and different damages, but it is not necessary. If it looks copyrighted, you should assume it is. This applies to pictures, too. You may not scan pictures from magazines and post them to the net, and if you come upon something unknown, you shouldn't post that either.

The correct form for a notice is:

"Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]"

You can use C in a circle © instead of "Copyright" but "(C)" has never been given legal force. The phrase "All Rights Reserved" used to be required in some nations but is now not legally needed most places. In some countries it may help preserve some of the "moral rights."

2) "If I don't charge for it, it's not a violation."

False. Whether you charge can affect the damages awarded in court, but that's main difference under the law. It's still a violation if you give it away -- and there can still be serious damages if you hurt the commercial value of the property. There is a USA exception for personal copying of music, which is not a violation, though courts seem to have said that doesn't include widescale anonymous personal copying as Napster. If the work has no commercial value, the violation is mostly technical and is unlikely to result in legal action. Fair use determinations (see below) do sometimes depend on the involvement of money.

3) "If it's posted to Usenet it's in the public domain."

False. Nothing modern and creative is in the public domain anymore unless the owner explicitly puts it in the public domain(*). Explicitly, as in you have a note from the author/owner saying, "I grant this to the public domain." Those exact words or words very much like them.

Some argue that posting to Usenet implicitly grants permission to everybody to copy the posting within fairly wide bounds, and others feel that Usenet is an automatic store and forward network where all the thousands of copies made are done at the command (rather than the consent) of the poster. This is a matter of some debate, but even if the former is true (and in this writer's opinion we should all pray it isn't true) it simply would suggest posters are implicitly granting permissions "for the sort of copying one might expect when one posts to Usenet" and in no case is this a placement of material into the public domain. It is important to remember that when it comes to the law, computers never make copies, only human beings make copies. Computers are given commands, not permission. Only people can be given permission. Furthermore it is very difficult for an implicit licence to supersede an explicitly stated licence that the copier was aware of.

Note that all this assumes the poster had the right to post the item in the first place. If the poster didn't, then all the copies are pirated, and no implied licence or theoretical reduction of the copyright can take place.

(*) Copyrights can expire after a long time, putting something into the public domain, and there are some fine points on this issue regarding older copyright law versions. However, none of this applies to material from the modern era, such as net postings.

Note that granting something to the public domain is a complete abandonment of all rights. You can't make something "PD for non-commercial use." If your work is PD, other people can even modify one byte and put their name on it. You might want to look into Creative Commons style licences if you want to grant wide rights.

4) "My posting was just fair use!"

See EFF notes on fair use and links from it for a detailed answer, but bear the following in mind:

The "fair use" exemption to (U.S.) copyright law was created to allow things such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education about copyrighted works without the permission of the author. That's vital so that copyright law doesn't block your freedom to express your own works -- only the ability to appropriate other people's. Intent, and damage to the commercial value of the work are important considerations. Are you reproducing an article from the New York Times because you needed to in order to criticise the quality of the New York Times, or because you couldn't find time to write your own story, or didn't want your readers to have to register at the New York Times web site? The first is probably fair use, the others probably aren't.

Fair use is generally a short excerpt and almost always attributed. (One should not use much more of the work than is needed to make the commentary.) It should not harm the commercial value of the work -- in the sense of people no longer needing to buy it (which is another reason why reproduction of the entire work is a problem.) Famously, copying just 300 words from Gerald Ford's 200,000 word memoir for a magazine article was ruled as not fair use, in spite of it being very newsworthy, because it was the most important 300 words -- why he pardoned Nixon.

Note that most inclusion of text in followups and replies is for commentary, and it doesn't damage the commercial value of the original posting (if it has any) and as such it is almost surely fair use. Fair use isn't an exact doctrine, though. The court decides if the right to comment overrides the copyright on an individual basis in each case. There have been cases that go beyond the bounds of what I say above, but in general they don't apply to the typical net misclaim of fair use.

The "fair use" concept varies from country to country, and has different names (such as "fair dealing" in Canada) and other limitations outside the USA.

Facts and ideas can't be copyrighted, but their expression and structure can. You can always write the facts in your own wordsthough

See the DMCA alert for recent changes in the law.

5) "If you don't defend your copyright you lose it." -- "Somebody has that name copyrighted!"

False. Copyright is effectively never lost these days, unless explicitly given away. You also can't "copyright a name" or anything short like that, such as almost all titles. You may be thinking of trade marks, which apply to names, and can be weakened or lost if not defended.

You generally trademark terms by using them to refer to your brand of a generic type of product or service. Like a "Delta" airline. Delta Airlines "owns" that word applied to air travel, even though it is also an ordinary word. Delta Hotels owns it when applied to hotels. (This case is fairly unusual as both are travel companies. Usually the industries are more distinct.) Neither owns the word on its own, only in context, and owning a mark doesn't mean complete control -- see a more detailed treatise on this law for details.

You can't use somebody else's trademark in a way that would steal the value of the mark, or in a way that might make people confuse you with the real owner of the mark, or which might allow you to profit from the mark's good name. For example, if I were giving advice on music videos, I would be very wary of trying to label my works with a name like "mtv." :-) You can use marks to critcise or parody the holder, as long as it's clear you aren't the holder.

6) "If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work belongs to me."

False. U.S. Copyright law is quite explicit that the making of what are called "derivative works" -- works based or derived from another copyrighted work -- is the exclusive province of the owner of the original work. This is true even though the making of these new works is a highly creative process. If you write a story using settings or characters from somebody else's work, you need that author's permission.

Yes, that means almost all "fan fiction" is arguably a copyright violation. If you want to publish a story about Jim Kirk and Mr. Spock, you need Paramount's permission, plain and simple. Now, as it turns out, many, but not all holders of popular copyrights turn a blind eye to "fan fiction" or even subtly encourage it because it helps them. Make no mistake, however, that it is entirely up to them whether to do that.

There is a major exception -- criticism and parody. The fair use provision says that if you want to make fun of something like Star Trek, you don't need their permission to include Mr. Spock. This is not a loophole; you can't just take a non-parody and claim it is one on a technicality. The way "fair use" works is you get sued for copyright infringement, and you admit you did copy, but that your copying was a fair use. A subjective judgment on, among other things, your goals, is then made.

However, it's also worth noting that a court has never ruled on this issue, because fan fiction cases always get settled quickly when the defendant is a fan of limited means sued by a powerful publishing company. Some argue that completely non-commercial fan fiction might be declared a fair use if courts get to decide. You can read more

7) "They can't get me, defendants in court have powerful rights!"

Copyright law is mostly civil law. If you violate copyright you would usually get sued, not be charged with a crime. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a principle of criminal law, as is "proof beyond a reasonable doubt." Sorry, but in copyright suits, these don't apply the same way or at all. It's mostly which side and set of evidence the judge or jury accepts or believes more, though the rules vary based on the type of infringement. In civil cases you can even be made to testify against your own interests.

8) "Oh, so copyright violation isn't a crime or anything?"

Actually, in the 90s in the USA commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies and value over $2500 was made a felony. So watch out. (At least you get the protections of criminal law.) On the other hand, don't think you're going to get people thrown in jail for posting your E-mail. The courts have much better things to do. This is a fairly new, untested statute. In one case an operator of a pirate BBS that didn't charge was acquited because he didn't charge, but congress amended the law to cover that.

9) "It doesn't hurt anybody -- in fact it's free advertising."

It's up to the owner to decide if they want the free ads or not. If they want them, they will be sure to contact you. Don't rationalize whether it hurts the owner or not, ask them. Usually that's not too hard to do. Time past, ClariNet published the very funny Dave Barry column to a large and appreciative Usenet audience for a fee, but some person didn't ask, and forwarded it to a mailing list, got caught, and the newspaper chain that employs Dave Barry pulled the column from the net, *** off everybody who enjoyed it. Even if you can't think of how the author or owner gets hurt, think about the fact that piracy on the net hurts everybody who wants a chance to use this wonderful new technology to do more than read other people's flamewars.

10) "They e-mailed me a copy, so I can post it."

To have a copy is not to have the copyright. All the E-mail you write is copyrighted. However, E-mail is not, unless previously agreed, secret. So you can certainly report on what E-mail you are sent, and reveal what it says. You can even quote parts of it to demonstrate. Frankly, somebody who sues over an ordinary message would almost surely get no damages, because the message has no commercial value, but if you want to stay strictly in the law, you should ask first. On the other hand, don't go nuts if somebody posts E-mail you sent them. If it was an ordinary non-secret personal letter of minimal commercial value with no copyright notice (like 99.9% of all E-mail), you probably won't get any damages if you sue them. Note as well that, the law aside, keeping private correspondence private is a courtesy one should usually honour.

11)"So I can't ever reproduce anything?"

Myth #11 (I didn't want to change the now-famous title of this article) is actually one sometimes generated in response to this list of 10 myths. No, copyright isn't an iron-clad lock on what can be published. Indeed, by many arguments, by providing reward to authors, it encourages them to not just allow, but fund the publication and distribution of works so that they reach far more people than they would if they were free or unprotected -- and unpromoted. However, it must be remembered that copyright has two main purposes, namely the protection of the author's right to obtain commercial benefit from valuable work, and more recently the protection of the author's general right to control how a work is used.

While copyright law makes it technically illegal to reproduce almost any new creative work (other than under fair use) without permission, if the work is unregistered and has no real commercial value, it gets very little protection. The author in this case can sue for an injunction against the publication, actual damages from a violation, and possibly court costs. Actual damages means actual money potentially lost by the author due to publication, plus any money gained by the defendant. But if a work has no commercial value, such as a typical E-mail message or conversational USENET posting, the actual damages will be zero. Only the most vindictive (and rich) author would sue when no damages are possible, and the courts don't look kindly on vindictive plaintiffs, unless the defendants are even more vindictive.

The author's right to control what is done with a work, however, has some validity, even if it has no commercial value. If you feel you need to violate a copyright "because you can get away with it because the work has no value" you should ask yourself why you're doing it. In general, respecting the rights of creators to control their creations is a principle many advocate adhering to.

In addition, while quite often people make incorrect claims of "fair use" it is a still valid and important concept necessary to allow the criticism of copyrighted works and their creators through examples. It's also been extended to allow things like home recording of TV shows and moving music from CDs you own to your MP3 player. But please read more about it before you do it.

In Summary

These days, almost all things are copyrighted the moment they are written, and no copyright notice is required.

Copyright is still violated whether you charged money or not, only damages are affected by that.

Postings to the net are not granted to the public domain, and don't grant you any permission to do further copying except perhaps the sort of copying the poster might have expected in the ordinary flow of the net.

Fair use is a complex doctrine meant to allow certain valuable social purposes. Ask yourself why you are republishing what you are posting and why you couldn't have just rewritten it in your own words.

Copyright is not lost because you don't defend it; that's a concept from trademark law. The ownership of names is also from trademark law, so don't say somebody has a name copyrighted.

Fan fiction and other work derived from copyrighted works is a copyright violation.

Copyright law is mostly civil law where the special rights of criminal defendants you hear so much about don't apply. Watch out, however, as new laws are moving copyright violation into the criminal realm.

Don't rationalize that you are helping the copyright holder; often it's not that hard to ask permission.

Posting E-mail is technically a violation, but revealing facts from E-mail you got isn't, and for almost all typical E-mail, nobody could wring any damages from you for posting it. The law doesn't do much to protect works with no commercial value.

No public cemeteries are not "fair game" there is no such thing as "fair game" all gravestones, grave plots were purchased by family and NO ONE has the right to profit from taking pictures of them and putting on f.a.g. for tipton to profit from.

:sigh

Private property is a no-no, but public cemeteries are fair game. As for me, if a member of the immediate family requests removal, I would comply from respect.

Nothing is more precious then remembering those family members we have lost. There is nothing illegal about posting photos taken in public places.

These people work hard and long for no pay. I lost my older sister while she was a baby. This made me happy that she isn't just a Rock somewhere.

There are some sick people out there who love to find fault with everything. Next you'll want the Internet shut don!

These people work hard and long for no pay.

I lost my older sister while she was a baby. This made me happy that she isn't just a Rick somewhere

View more comments (46)
ID
#208439 Review #208439 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Mortum Pictures and Video Posting

I am also a member of Find-A Grave, recently a member passed away. After countless posts of generic sorrow BS. The individuals family posted "Ralph" in his casket and video of the same. I was appalled over this. Several calls to *** headquarters, I complained that they were absolutely breaking one of there first rules that state NO POST MORTUM photos. They said they would look in to it, they are still there. What a classy bunch of people.y The cliques in the forums are ridiculous, they are not very friendly and very snooty, avoid them at all cost, way too much personal info floating around. No more *** for me.

Some folks never make it past kindergarten in mentality.

That they choose to go doesn't mean they know what they're gienttg themselves into. If you go on an adventure to a far away country, you can prepare yourself by learning a about the language, culture, customs etc but there is NOTHING that can prepare you for the things that you're about to experience.

And I'm just talking about an unplanned vacation. The feeling of suddenly being confronted with a reality you were unaware of is not something that you can imagine if you haven't experienced it. I'm sure this feeling is a lot more intense for a young soldier in a war.

Believe me, watching discovery channel doesn't teach you anything about the real world outside your living room. You may not like what they're doing or who they're representing, but they deserve our sympathy and respect none the less.

Hmmm I'd like to know what kind of weapon was used to FORCE you to open that thread? Am curious...

Those pictures were wrong to post *** lounge people were so phoney it made me sick what a bunch of losers.

I am a member of find a grave yes there are rules to what you can post, however If the pictures are taken by immediate family and posted on here THATS THEIR DECISION and if someone runs across them and disaproved then well thats their problem. YOU dont have to look.

Find A Grave def has it's Rules - but more Importantly - have the Hoarders of Find A Grave ever taken the time to be Human for just a moment - and consider that each person grieves differently?

This is most likely what has happened in this case. This was how this person handles their grief.

NOTE: To Hoarders - "Compassion" is a word, I'm certain is completely foreign to you, but many others can surely understand.

I read your thread. I know it was a while ago that you had the discussion but I'd like comment.

My 17 year old son shot himself on

August 4th, 2010. I was able to see him the day after he died. He had a bandage on his head and his eyes were very red and swollen but he looked like my son. I took pictures.

I don't know why but I did. At his viewing (after embalming) he didn't look like my son at all. He looked like he was a wax doll. He looked like he was holding his breath in.

His father had nightmares about seeing him in his casket. I showed him the photos I'd taken and he stopped having the nightmares. I realized there were so many people who saw him that way. I posted the photos I took of him on his facebook page.

I know that those photos have helped so many people

So maybe you should find out reasons why someone posted them. Actually, its not your family member so you should stop trying to get get people in trouble like a little tattle tale then complaining when someone doesn't get in trouble.

We all grieve in different ways. So let the families grieve and heal their own way.

You said, "You can't get nothing done by hiding behind generic terms, call them out on it."

You do that, and you will be banned without notice or explanation. They ban people all the time for no reason other than that you disagree with them or one of their "pets". What makes you think they won't do it to you?

You pro-gravers are missing the point. The rules clearly state, no post-mortem photos! Here they are for you:

ONLY post photos for which YOU hold the copyright (meaning photos you took)!!!

The copyright of all photos posted to Find A Grave remains with the original submitter. No use of photos for any other website or personal use is given without prior consent of the original submitter.

JPEG format preferred (.jpg or .jpeg).

200-800 pixel width and less than 350 KB

Cropped with no surrounding white space.

No decorative graphics or animated GIFs.

No white space around the photo

No photo frames (the ones added with a graphic program)

No graphic embellishments (photo graphics like flowers put randomly on a photo)

No post-mortem photos.

No photos taken from other web sites!!!

I don't object to post-mortum photos.

Victorian customs aside - where besides being sad and heartfelt memorials, some of the post-mortem pix are truly beautiful - in the modern world, post-mortems taken by loved ones are like a dirty little underground secret. A LOT of people have them of their loved ones, so clearly it is much more common to take them than is generally believed - and I have been shown many of them over the years, from babies in their mothers arms to older folks in their coffins. Because they are so often taken now furtively by family rather than a professional, they are not always as lovely as the pictures taken 140 years back but clearly, these pictures are very, very important to the families involved.

I don't think its necessarily the way I'd personally like to be portrayed, but it's not in the same category as accident scene pictures. When taken by family, the intent is respectful and heart felt, and part of their way of memorializing the person and dealing with their grief.

View more comments (13)
ID
#207577 Review #207577 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Providence, Rhode Island

Find-A-Grave

I have been a contributor for about two months and I have to echo DBA82'S comments; I've been able to help so many people find lost family members. I take pictures of very old gravestones especially and have posted them along with entire cemeteries. All the messages I have received have been grateful and positive. I am a genealogist researcher and find the site very helpful, so I know other researchers feel the same. Find-A-Grave has been a wonderful tool for such a large project. As far as getting help. Asking questions. Pointing out mistakes. I've never had a bad experience. I do not participate in any forum.
#520419

I Like this post because you can go years and be fine before running in to the dark side of this website.Its not likely this poster is still blind to it if they are blind to it be careful

It is obvous you know my name, but I don't know yours.

What do you mean by "you have been cheated" and " are being stalked"?

Both terms are not related to the work done on Find-A-Grave.

Rudy, they would be greater if they respected their users, word travels fast when you been cheated, its a shame a site will put up all these rules and not abide by a user's request when they are being stalked, to me thats disrespect at its highest accord!

View more comments (2)
ID
#203517 Review #203517 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Chesterfield, Virginia
Service
Find A Grave Forum
A photo of my mother was taken from her funerals homes site apparently without the funeral home's or the family's approval. Her death was posted on "find a grave" without any relative wanting it to be there. When I tried to email the people listed on the...

If you were hit by Penguin, you must have seen a drop in non-paid search traffic by about 30 to 70 % percent on one of the following dates:

4-Oct-13

22-May-13

25-May-12

5-Oct-12

May 25, 2012

April 23, 2012

Don’t Panic - We have 5 easy steps to recover from Google penalties

Link Audit - We will check each and every link and identify the unnatural ones

Link removal requests - A link removal request is sent to the webmaster of the unnatural link sites

Link Disavow - A tool that allows us to tell Google that we don't want certain links

Reconsideration Request - We request that Google reconsiders the indexing of the client's site

Link Building - We will create relevant and quality backlinks only

YOUR WEBSITE WILL BE ON PAGE ONE OF GOOGLE !!!!

ID
#195843 Review #195843 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Los Angeles, California

Find a Grave

Find a Grave has been one of the greatest find I have used in finding my heritage. I think that anyone that is complaining should just suck it up because this is public information. If an ancestor is looked at, so what! Many folks are related to your ancestor too. Many folks were not able to have fancy grave markers or were not lucky enough to be famous or what ever. Find a Grave is Fantastic. I personally have found over 30 relatives - Praise God for that. So keep up the good work by God! My grandfather, grandmother both of whom I never knew I found. My great grand father and all of his children and grandchild I found. It gave me a record of where my heritage was from and where my ancestors are buried. It has also connected me to many of my cousins...Over 6000 of them. I am proud of my lineage and am proud of who and where I came from. I would think that the complainers should be proud of their loved ones too. I know where my mother is buried. I buried her. I want all of the ones that are related and married into the family to know the information about her. I am not a selfish man and it appears that the folks that wrote the nasty reviews are just not my kind of folk. They are whinning. Be proud of where you are from. If you were poor or rich it does not matter. It is a record of where you are from. It is a path of lives and a journey of any people. Mine is American and prior to that it was English and prior to that it was Scottish and prior to that it was Finnish. And all of that information was gotten from records. And Find a grave is a record of life. Celebrate it.
#520437

If your Genealogy over rides the fact that people deal with loss differently and those who lost someone are paying a price because of your genealogy get off your duff and go find the graves of your ancestors yourself or for goodness sake quit doing genealogy because no child parent sibling she have to go through that for your genealogy.

My son was born still born He did not live, he did nothing in the public, nothing to be noticed, no reason in the world to be noted outside the hospital and a local paper obit. I did not expect to see his name in a search on my family, on what seems to be a very popular website.

Please do not include everyone in your " just needs to suck it up" statement. You have no way of knowing everyone's story and why they would be bothered.

Interesting issues for ***. I'm also a contributor, but many on this site have no scruples or tact when it comes to taking photos from another website and posting it as if it was their own.

Some even take the photo without the owner's permission and crop it so the personalized logo doesn't appear. While some may say photos on the web are public property, US copyright law says different. And if the issue is who cares who posts the photo of a grave.

. .then why doesn't the person who stole the photo from another site use the name anonymous.

I give permission to most people who find my photos and want to use them, but those who don't ask don't really care and are only interested in the points of being a top contributor.

#207782

***·sumer (kən so̵̅o̅m′ər)

noun

a person or thing that consumes; specif., a person who buys goods or services for personal needs and not for resale or to use in the production of other goods for resale.

You know I could understand if there was someone out there digging up graves or desacrating graves and boasting about it on a website. By all means, raise ***.

Find a Grave is a picture and a transcription. I've found ancestors by using it and I've paid respect to my loved ones with it. A cemetery is meant to be a place where you're remembered long after you're gone; what better way than to share these stones and give opportunties for those to let their memories live on.

I don't see a pissed off site about the pyramids being dug up and put on display in museums, and I do believe this is far from anything like that.

Don't you agree? So don't be pissed.

The world is too angry anymore. Like the one who posted before me said, Celebrate the lives, if you wanted them hidden you wouldn't go to the effort to erect these monuments that will stand long after even you are gone, right?

Okay...this site is for PISSED consumers...

View more comments (5)
ID
#191908 Review #191908 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Seattle, Washington

Stranger posted memorial for my LIVING mother

My mother passed away 3 months ago. But I recently found out that some stranger posted a memorial to my mother a year ago. She had her gravestone set up in advance. There was no death date but that didn't stop them. They just put "????" for the death date. Obviously, if they are posting living people as dead, their standards for accuracy are rather slim. I have contacted them and got no response or apology, although the contributer did immediately remove the bogus memorial. I have however, received an email from a "friend" who is a find a grave contributer, who basically told me to get it removed and move on with life. I personally think that people need to give the families time to grieve before they go posting information on strangers. To them, the graves are just rocks with words. To us, they are our family members. I just wish they would stop hiding behind the response that they are "preserving their memory so they won't be forgotten." That is MY job not theirs. Go preserve your own family members, and let me preserve the memories of MY loved ones.
#520444

These people are so disturbing and unable to show any humanity but welcome to find-a-grave. Jim Tipton wants to make people feel violated he has emotionally disturbed people working for free running this site It is a Breeding ground for the stereotypical wife beater to prey on the vulnerable.

Oh just because dates and stones are there that is an excuse for you to stop being human... good to know

SEE THE LIGHT" wrote to the OP: "I am glad you dont use the site, and I wont be seeing you there, good riddence!"

Just wait until you say that (or even something innocuous) to the wrong pet of one of the admins at f.a.g. and they get you banned just for disagreeing with them.

Your "almighty holier-than-thou" attitude could change overnight!

And I truly hope it does. And good "riddence(sic)" to YOU!

#251947

If a marker is in a cemetery the information is there. Pure & simple. The rules of posting pre need markers did not change until Dec. 2009, before they were acceptable.

Also, take a look at the 1000's of transcripts avaiable online, chances are you will find the marker listed there as well.

Photos of markers are placed to preserve the posterity of a cemetery, not to disrespect others.

It is not required to remove a pre need unless it was created after Dec. 2009 or unless the CLOSE famiuly requests it. In your case you had every right to request it's removal, however before getting all uptight you need to take a closer look at the reasons behind such a posting.

There are some dilly FAGers here on this forum, alright. Sorry about that.

Most, however, are very sweet and don't you to have a moment's anquish. You are absolutley correct that this stone should never have been uploaded. The rules are against doing that. I'm glad the uploader removed the page for you.

Some of the above *** members give us the rest of us a bad name. :sigh

How about paying the engraver? If she paid for her services ahead of time OBVIOUSLY she didn't know when she was going to die. DUH!

It states right in the FindAGrave FAQs:

Is it acceptable to add a memorial for someone who is still living?

Please try to avoid it. In general, we do not encourage adding memorials for individuals that are still living. We do realize, however, that when transcribing a cemetery, it is not always possible to determine if the person is living or not. If it is obvious that they are still living (e.g. "1910 - ____ ), please do not add them to Find A Grave. You are always welcome to create a 'pre-need' memorial for yourself, if you would like, provided that you have a pre-need headstone already in place in a cemetery.

Calm down. It did not suggest your mother was dead. It recorded her public headstone which your family placed.

There are tens of thousands of pre-need stones listed on find a grave.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I don't think you understand the purpose of this site.

At least you know where your mother is buried many people don't. This site can't provide psychiatric services but I'm sure there is someone in your home town who could refer you to someone to help you deal with your grief.

#208886

Well I guess people have to complain about something.

#207955

Not a problem! I don't want to be associated with a group of cruel people who don't care about the needs of the family and only care about the number of stones they incorrectly document.

Goodbye.

I will not be responding here again. You are sick

View more comments (21)
Mount Laurel, New Jersey

Dont have friends name on cemetery list

find a grave states view (all) interments they leave out interments (3) of my friends when they state view that to me means you (see) there names on there list but these idiots at find a grave can't see much of anything this is fraud where my (3) friends are laid to rest is avon centre cemetery in grayslake I went through the list there names are not on it they definitely are buried there find a grave staff couldn't find there way out of a circle and cause grief maybe its eaiser for them to lie there a brown spot on this beutifl land of ours

I understand your frustration. I take photos and list the name b.

and d. In most cases that is the only information I have. I am asked to search for headstones to photograph. If you want it done.

Give accurate information. i have spent up to 10 hours looking for one grave. Older Cemeteries have very little information and in most cases no caretaker. I infromation in the request.

The more I have the better the result. Did you try asking for it to be added? I am currently searching for headstones from people who requested it over 3 years ago. I am going as fast as I can.

But, I do have a life, Kids and job.

I do this part time to help geneologist. A little appreciation for THE THOUSANDS OF VOLUNTEERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

OK, first of all, findagrave does NOT make entries in any cemetery. Regular people make the entries - either for their family or for a genealogical society (my case). Listings are NOT necessarily accurate, and the people adding people may not put in accurate information. In some cases, the only information is what is on the stone, which may not be much.

My point is, garbage in, garbage out. The fault is not with findagrave, it is with whomever is typing in the entry.

If your three friends are at Avon Centre Cemetery, ADD THEIR NAMES AND DATES YOURSELF! That's the only way they will end up on the listing.

View more comments (1)
Chicago, Illinois

Find a Grave

Before folks register at Find a Grave website, you should understand that they are not concerned with accurate records - They are merely just another inaccurate Mormon data base. Plus each person needs to understand that the contributors on that site are very troubled individuals - These folks do nothing but complain and argue with each other constantly - The Find a Grave website is just poorly setup and no one needs to be able to claim dead people as their own, especially if they are not a direct family member My best suggestion, get another healthy hobby and stay off the Find a Grave website -

The number of complaints changes daily. There are literally hundreds of them on here.

Another interesting point is that this is not the only site where people have lodged complaints. I don't believe I have ever seen any one company receive so much negative feedback from so many people online, ever! This is a testimony of just how horrible the findagrave website really is.

The people have spoken - find a grave is broken! :roll

For those who don't know, the poster using the names "Blue Genes" and "OMG!!!" are one and the same. She wants people to think there are hundreds of thousands of people having problems. The problem is the person she sees in the mirror.

The bottom line - there are a lot of evil people that are running/involved in the f.a.g. website.

This is a site about the deceased. People that have died. It takes a horrible, heartless, cold and evil being to speak and act the way they do about a memorial website that represents the death of an individual.

When people die they are no longer with us and the family that is left behind is devastated. Only a heartless b*astard and an evil *** would disrespect the wishes of a family member concerning their dead relatives.

#520446

Great post and nothing has changed I love change

Read the FAQS guess who I am bahahahaha

First off dead folks are not Mormans. I have nothing against Mormans but I am not one.

But most Mormans are hardworking folks who are willing to share what they have for free. Like this Web Site. I do not have to pay $20/month to use it and I can find very useful info.

Sure there are crazies everywhere, look on Ebay. But for the most part I have had very few bad experiences and that was with members, not ***.

@kota069 (or, as you posted in the F.A.G. forums, Bill_K)

From my understanding, you neglected to read the FAQs or willfully chose to disregard them.

Guess you did not read the Sponsorship screen either (you know, the part about it being "non-refundable"). But the web-site "scammed" you.

Riiight. How do you function in the real world????

The list of reasons to denounce and avoid Find-a-Grave/Find-a-Scam seems to grow by the day, if not by the hour.

Still, *** is merely a scam. Fortunately they ONLY go to steal $15.00 from me before they exposed themselves. Their own greed and arrogance is their own worst enemy as they would likely have gotten much more had they been patient.

A collective lot of petty thieves; sheep composed of poor, miserable social misfits without productive lives or motivation, blindly led by Rev. Tipton.

“Birds of a feather…”

I guess that’s as good a place as any:

Find A Scam

AncestorAppreciator wrote: "They have great forums for folks to get involved in as a means to assist each other to learn more about our ancestors, how to research them, and where we come from."

Yes, they are great forums until you express an opinion to one of the "pets" of the owner's that makes them mad at you, and they get you banned from the site without notice or reason given.

So, if you want to participate, just don't forget to kiss *** never express an opinion of any kind, and you'll be just fine and happy as a clam.

I filed a complaint with the better business bureau when they banned me from the site and deleted all my memorials. Jim Tipton finally let me back in, but since has banned my account and left all my memorials intact.

So I went in and transferred all my memorials to a new account and when I went in today, he had transferred them all back to the original account!

So now I'm going on a massive campaign to report copyright violations on that website to as many places as I can, including the US Copyright Office, The US Attorney General and the FBI. I've already written letters to the LA and NY Times.

February 3,2011

To all the folks that have defended findagrave against all of the hideous, outrageous, and uninformed commentary that I am seeing posted...I bid you a huge heartfelt thank you!

For all of you that are still dealing with pain from losing a loved one I am sorry for your loss.

To those that are complaining and obviously do not understand the true intentions behind findagrave. Please allow me to clarify a few things for you.

This is a website dedicated to “memorializing loved ones” as well as documenting our ancestors. They have great forums for folks to get involved in as a means to assist each other to learn more about our ancestors, how to research them, and where we come from.

It is not done in bad taste nor in an effort to offend anyone or add to anyone’s grief. Stop taking the low road and complaining especially when you truly don't know what you are complaining about. For those that post comments such as videos of the deceased have been posted in their caskets is a complete crock. This is one of the first rules when posting on findagrave. No post mortem photos, etc. are allowed. They want it clean, respectful, and nothing morbid is to be posted or they will remove it. They have some pretty strict guidelines in an effort to keep it respectful and tasteful (please read up on it).

Consider yourself lucky that someone is honoring your loved one by entering a "memorial" on findagrave. I have met many wonderful fellow findagravers as well as have helped and received help in researching my ancestry for which I am truly grateful.

Loss is a hard thing to take. I just lost my father a year ago this coming Monday (Feb 7, 2011) but no one is trying to make it more painful for you. Trust me. It is all with good intentions. Before my father died I was able to find his GG Grandfather (my 3rd Gr Grandfather) on findagrave and learn that he was part of the Underground Railroad in TN before and during the Civil War (they helped many slaves escape to their freedom). So incredibly proud were we! And his father was a Revolutionary War Soldier that fought to gain our freedoms we take for granted today!

I am extremely proud and honored when I can go out and memorialize or visit my 1st, 2nd, 3rd all the way to my 11th & 12th Great Grandparents on some of my family lines via findagrave. I am sincerely thankful that findagrave has had a huge hand in helping me find and validate my ancestors dating back to the 1600’s so far.

Some people cannot get to a cemetery to visit their loved ones gravesite and this is a fabulous alternative. I know I can't. I can't travel to IN, IL, PA, NC, VA, TN, CA, and many, many, more states to visit my loved ones so I do so through findagrave.

You can leave virtual flowers, balloon bouquets, flags, even heartfelt notes, etc. You can even honor our brave fallen soldiers from over the centuries as well as from all over the world if you wish to do so.

It is a wonderful means to learn and document our history and your family history.

After all, if you don't know where you have been how do you know where you are going?

Please, give findagrave a break. Try and view them for the positive reasons, not the outrageous ones that are being posted. Especially unfounded comments that don't apply because people are making comments and accusations that aren't true.

Additionally, if you do find your family members on findagrave and want them removed contact the "Manager" listed on their memorial and ask them (kindly) to remove it.

Most are happy to do so as they do not want to hurt or offend anyone just as findagrave does not. But please keep it clean and respectful when you do make a contact. Vulgarity and negativity are definitely not necessary and typically gets none of us anywhere. It's just a waste of time and energy. And those you are "trying to protect" would not be impressed by that type of behavior either.

Findagrave may have been started by one person but it has become a very strong, happy community and in many ways like an extended family for many of us. I think I can speak for most, if not all of us that use findagrave; that we are all very happy that everyone involved is always so eager to help each other and treat each other in a thoughtful, respectful, positive manner. This in society today is a rarity and we all love the fact that complete strangers from all walks of life, all ethnicities, etc. are being nice to each other and showing respect to not only us, but our loved ones by memorializing them.

I also have actually found family members (distant cousins, etc) that I never knew existed. All in thanks to findagrave.

Thanks for your attention. And have a great day.

View more comments (18)
Clayton, North Carolina

Findagrave locked out my IP

How low can they be? I battled with findagrave to respect my ancestors and to provide a way to block graffiti. They do not block graffiti attachments from non-family. It is not findagrave, it is findyourgravegrafitti. They locked my IP – you may locate me in a gulag somewhere in an extinct Russian outback, about a thousand miles from Alaska? Hey, thay have a staff of lawyers running for a political office I suppose. Okay, you are playing on the number of words to get to 100 - one two three four five six seven eight nine ten or so Ron

What are graffiti attachments? What graffiti are you talking about?You mean ads? I have an ad blocker, I don't get attachments or ads.

FindAGrave has administers who work for free they also ban people who have individual opinions in the forum. They have a high tolerance for verbal abuse against anyone asking question and a low tolerance for anyone who confused by admins not following guidelines and banning people..... Administrators violating a volunteer photo system is what freaked me out and the promotion of verbal attacks in public bios of Family members

#206652

I JUST SEEN A GUY FR4OM HUNGRY HILL, MA. IN THE NEWSPAPER BRAGGING ABOUT FINDING GRAVES

View more comments (2)
Georgetown, Texas
Find a grave is an arrogant web site that has no concern for the wishes of others. Yes allot of information is accessible through public domains. Most of their minions do not care about accuracy or privacy.Their biggest goal is to contribute more than another.Our...

I somewhat agree with review below. Findagrave should have it that the family member be contacted and asked if its alright.

I think that is the prudent thing to do. I don't really care for them either they are very insinsitive because they think they have the law on there side so sc*** everybody.

No class, I would say they fall in between worms and carpetbaggers. In my case they didn't like what I had to say so they took my sons sight and put it so it can't be found or searched for and cannot be updated FROZEN.

Greensboro, North Carolina

Find A Grave

First the individual contributor for Find A Grave renamed our cemetery the William Dalton Cemetery. This was corrected to Reece Cemetery Dugspur Carroll County Va. She photographed all monuments. We finally got the names and monuments off the list but they will not remove the website, map or directions to Reece Cemetery. We have also sent an email letter from the owners of the real estate requesting removal of the website but to no avail. We can only assume they plan to add information to it later. This is private cemetery maintained by private funds and private real estate taxes. Find A Grave will not remove website.

Find A Grave adminstrators & its members are grave vampires! STOP SUCKING THE LIFE OUT OF THE SURVIVORS SO JIM TIPTON CAN PROFIT FROM OUR LOVED ONES DEATHS!!!

Grave Photographer, As a F.A.G. member myself, I know that it's a commercial venture.

Money is made from all those ads that flash around, from the partnerships with other companies, like ancestry.com, and a dab from the sale of the souvenirs. Try to be understanding, empathetic, and helpful to the nice comsumer, not all huffy and judegemental. You put the rest of us in a bad light.

According to the BBB, there are between 25-100 employees. All those employees need to be paid, so Mr Tipton HAS to make money.

@PissedConsumer234069

Find a grave does not have 25 to 100 employees all adminstrators are volunteers if they were employees they would be the ones visiting the thousands of cemeteries and entering the information rather than members doing it for FREE so jim tipton can profit from free labor. spotty dotty you and other f.a.g.

members have helped make greedy jim tipton a millionaire. you are the huffy judgmental consumer,,,,no one should profit from our loved ones deaths when we paid for the funerals, grave plots, gravestones, obituaries etc...while jim tipton profits from their deaths and what their loved ones paid for.

f.a.g. does NOT have employees!

And no one is making money off of it! The only way anyone (meaning Jim, the owner) makes any money is if you pay him the fee to remove the ads from the page for that entry. If you don't do that, then NO ONE is making any money on the entry!

The Reece cemetery is not marked private property In the Deed book s

and at any cemetery you must have permission from the owner or cemetery board to allow anyone to be buried there.

Even if the cemetery was on private property it is still public record who is buried there...Which means there is no way to prevent someone from placing it in the Find A Grave web site for the use of genealogy

Joycekay isn't the only one with family connections to the Reece cemetery...there are hundreds of people with relatives buried there

Real estate taxes are paid on the land, not the cemetery. Most cemeteries public and private have a maintenance fund set up for mowing and upkeep.

If it were a private cemetery

Virginia Cemetery code number (§57-27.1).

"Virginia law does require that landowners allow access to cemeteries on private property for the purpose of visitation by family members/descendants or plot owners, and for genealogical research. "

Tony Smit

The Reece cemetery is located in a small close knit Farm land community...

There is a Mobil home a few hundred feet away that you must drive by to get to the cemetery. I don't recall at any time has there been vandalism to any local cemetery.

There also is no copyright infringement unless a patent is filed, then pending until approved.

GenealogyGirl

"no such thing as privacy for the dead. Privacy ends with death"

It isn't a privacy issue, Once you pass away it is public knowledge were you are buried, plain and simple.....Nothing personal or Private is divulged

It seems the directive here is to have others think that those that post on the Find A Grave site are maniacal evil foes of privacy...I assure you, nothing is further from the truth. It is in fact done for genealogy research and nothing more.

#207796

OH MY, SERIOUSLY? Get a grip!

If your relative is on findagrave, join, and then tell the person who made the memorial that you wish it to be transferred to you.

seriously people?

:upset

:sigh...There is a simple way to help everyone here...Private Cemetery, With Family members only...O.K...Now lets say your uncle Joe was laid to rest there 6o years ago...and his wife, who is not blood kin was laid by him 4o years ago...now her family wants to locate her grave...do they have the right to visit...common sense..."YES"...Should they contact the family and ask for permission...By All Means possible they should attempt to contact the family and ask...but if they can not reach you...then they should at least contact the local Sheriff and advise them of their intentions...especially if they are out of town and don't have much time on hand...yes there are a lot of "and" "if's" and "Buts'"...this is just a general rule of procedures...the owners can also post family contact numbers in case of such an inquire is made...please stop and think of a solution before you speak and hurt others feelings...they are family in a long distant way....

@PissedConsumer172610

Why would your Uncles wifes family have to ask permission from the Uncles family if she is buried there unless the cemetery is on private land? Is there something I'm not understanding?

To genealogygirl:If you don't understand the problem maybe you should get a reality check.Some people still believe in privacy and respect for their loved ones that have passed away.Whether it be one year or one hundred years ago does not matter.By the way how do you get the nomenclature for your username? Seems as though you're definitely a "findagrave" minion.

No one can be buried on this private property unless they are a member of the family by blood or marriage. And it is private property.

We pay the real estate taxes and maintain it, of course. We just fill like we have been violated by the a contributor of Find A Grave going onto the property and posting of lists/monuments on its private website for profit.

View more comments (11)