Clayton, North Carolina

Before folks register at Find a Grave website, you should understand that they are not concerned with accurate records -

They are merely just another inaccurate Mormon data base.

Plus each person needs to understand that the contributors on that site are very troubled individuals -

These folks do nothing but complain and argue with each other constantly -

The Find a Grave website is just poorly setup and no one needs to be able to claim dead people as their own, especially if they are not a direct family member

My best suggestion, get another healthy hobby and

stay off the Find a Grave website -

Product or Service Mentioned: Find A Grave Website.

Comments

Blue Genes

The number of complaints changes daily. There are literally hundreds of them on here.

Another interesting point is that this is not the only site where people have lodged complaints. I don't believe I have ever seen any one company receive so much negative feedback from so many people online, ever! This is a testimony of just how horrible the findagrave website really is.

The people have spoken - find a grave is broken! :roll

For those who don't know, the poster using the names "Blue Genes" and "OMG!!!" are one and the same. She wants people to think there are hundreds of thousands of people having problems. The problem is the person she sees in the mirror.

The bottom line - there are a lot of evil people that are running/involved in the f.a.g. website.

This is a site about the deceased. People that have died. It takes a horrible, heartless, cold and evil being to speak and act the way they do about a memorial website that represents the death of an individual.

When people die they are no longer with us and the family that is left behind is devastated. Only a heartless b*astard and an evil *** would disrespect the wishes of a family member concerning their dead relatives.

#520446

Great post and nothing has changed I love change

Read the FAQS guess who I am bahahahaha

First off dead folks are not Mormans. I have nothing against Mormans but I am not one.

But most Mormans are hardworking folks who are willing to share what they have for free. Like this Web Site. I do not have to pay $20/month to use it and I can find very useful info.

Sure there are crazies everywhere, look on Ebay. But for the most part I have had very few bad experiences and that was with members, not ***.

@kota069 (or, as you posted in the F.A.G. forums, Bill_K)

From my understanding, you neglected to read the FAQs or willfully chose to disregard them.

Guess you did not read the Sponsorship screen either (you know, the part about it being "non-refundable"). But the web-site "scammed" you.

Riiight. How do you function in the real world????

kota069

The list of reasons to denounce and avoid Find-a-Grave/Find-a-Scam seems to grow by the day, if not by the hour.

Still, *** is merely a scam. Fortunately they ONLY go to steal $15.00 from me before they exposed themselves. Their own greed and arrogance is their own worst enemy as they would likely have gotten much more had they been patient.

A collective lot of petty thieves; sheep composed of poor, miserable social misfits without productive lives or motivation, blindly led by Rev. Tipton.

“Birds of a feather…”

I guess that’s as good a place as any:

Find A Scam

AncestorAppreciator wrote: "They have great forums for folks to get involved in as a means to assist each other to learn more about our ancestors, how to research them, and where we come from."

Yes, they are great forums until you express an opinion to one of the "pets" of the owner's that makes them mad at you, and they get you banned from the site without notice or reason given.

So, if you want to participate, just don't forget to kiss *** never express an opinion of any kind, and you'll be just fine and happy as a clam.

I filed a complaint with the better business bureau when they banned me from the site and deleted all my memorials. Jim Tipton finally let me back in, but since has banned my account and left all my memorials intact.

So I went in and transferred all my memorials to a new account and when I went in today, he had transferred them all back to the original account!

So now I'm going on a massive campaign to report copyright violations on that website to as many places as I can, including the US Copyright Office, The US Attorney General and the FBI. I've already written letters to the LA and NY Times.

February 3,2011

To all the folks that have defended findagrave against all of the hideous, outrageous, and uninformed commentary that I am seeing posted...I bid you a huge heartfelt thank you!

For all of you that are still dealing with pain from losing a loved one I am sorry for your loss.

To those that are complaining and obviously do not understand the true intentions behind findagrave. Please allow me to clarify a few things for you.

This is a website dedicated to “memorializing loved ones” as well as documenting our ancestors. They have great forums for folks to get involved in as a means to assist each other to learn more about our ancestors, how to research them, and where we come from.

It is not done in bad taste nor in an effort to offend anyone or add to anyone’s grief. Stop taking the low road and complaining especially when you truly don't know what you are complaining about. For those that post comments such as videos of the deceased have been posted in their caskets is a complete crock. This is one of the first rules when posting on findagrave. No post mortem photos, etc. are allowed. They want it clean, respectful, and nothing morbid is to be posted or they will remove it. They have some pretty strict guidelines in an effort to keep it respectful and tasteful (please read up on it).

Consider yourself lucky that someone is honoring your loved one by entering a "memorial" on findagrave. I have met many wonderful fellow findagravers as well as have helped and received help in researching my ancestry for which I am truly grateful.

Loss is a hard thing to take. I just lost my father a year ago this coming Monday (Feb 7, 2011) but no one is trying to make it more painful for you. Trust me. It is all with good intentions. Before my father died I was able to find his GG Grandfather (my 3rd Gr Grandfather) on findagrave and learn that he was part of the Underground Railroad in TN before and during the Civil War (they helped many slaves escape to their freedom). So incredibly proud were we! And his father was a Revolutionary War Soldier that fought to gain our freedoms we take for granted today!

I am extremely proud and honored when I can go out and memorialize or visit my 1st, 2nd, 3rd all the way to my 11th & 12th Great Grandparents on some of my family lines via findagrave. I am sincerely thankful that findagrave has had a huge hand in helping me find and validate my ancestors dating back to the 1600’s so far.

Some people cannot get to a cemetery to visit their loved ones gravesite and this is a fabulous alternative. I know I can't. I can't travel to IN, IL, PA, NC, VA, TN, CA, and many, many, more states to visit my loved ones so I do so through findagrave.

You can leave virtual flowers, balloon bouquets, flags, even heartfelt notes, etc. You can even honor our brave fallen soldiers from over the centuries as well as from all over the world if you wish to do so.

It is a wonderful means to learn and document our history and your family history.

After all, if you don't know where you have been how do you know where you are going?

Please, give findagrave a break. Try and view them for the positive reasons, not the outrageous ones that are being posted. Especially unfounded comments that don't apply because people are making comments and accusations that aren't true.

Additionally, if you do find your family members on findagrave and want them removed contact the "Manager" listed on their memorial and ask them (kindly) to remove it.

Most are happy to do so as they do not want to hurt or offend anyone just as findagrave does not. But please keep it clean and respectful when you do make a contact. Vulgarity and negativity are definitely not necessary and typically gets none of us anywhere. It's just a waste of time and energy. And those you are "trying to protect" would not be impressed by that type of behavior either.

Findagrave may have been started by one person but it has become a very strong, happy community and in many ways like an extended family for many of us. I think I can speak for most, if not all of us that use findagrave; that we are all very happy that everyone involved is always so eager to help each other and treat each other in a thoughtful, respectful, positive manner. This in society today is a rarity and we all love the fact that complete strangers from all walks of life, all ethnicities, etc. are being nice to each other and showing respect to not only us, but our loved ones by memorializing them.

I also have actually found family members (distant cousins, etc) that I never knew existed. All in thanks to findagrave.

Thanks for your attention. And have a great day.

july1962

How can one make a "mistake" by entering someone that is alive? If no death year is listed it should ALWAYS be assumed that the person is living. The FindAGrave FAQs state:

Is it acceptable to add a memorial for someone who is still living?

Please try to avoid it. In general, we do not encourage adding memorials for individuals that are still living. We do realize, however, that when transcribing a cemetery, it is not always possible to determine if the person is living or not. If it is obvious that they are still living (e.g. "1910 - ____ ), please do not add them to Find A Grave. You are always welcome to create a 'pre-need' memorial for yourself, if you would like, provided that you have a pre-need headstone already in place in a cemetery.

@july1962

It used to be that you could enter a pre-need stone. They have since changed that and you are not supposed to do that now.

I think you have a severe attack of "Sour grapes'. This site is a great source for genealogy searchers.

As most serious genealogy people understand there are OFTEN discrpencies within info found on grave stones - - but it i a great starting place!

I have found my great-great grandfather on Find A Grave - - when the cemetery he is burried in couldn't, after asking yearly for several years. This sit isgreat for finding people you never knew existed!!

Thanks to all the other volunteers who have responded to this one. I, too, have spent years combing cemeteries in my county and adding the entries onto Findagrave as part of a Genealogical Society project.

I've had nothing but positive comments and thanks. I have also had lots of people all over the country thank me for locating their relatives and taking pictures of the stone for them.

In most cases, if there is no death date, there should be no entry, but sometimes people miss something. People make mistakes - we're human. We do NOT however do things to hurt others.

We are trying to honor our ancestors and honor those who have gone before. We are trying to create a database of cemetery information for genealogical researchers all of the country (and I guess the world!).

We are as accurate as we can be, and I don't think I've ever had an argument with anyone on the site.

The fact that we love doing this kind of physically demanding work may make us unusual, but we do not have the evil intentions you claim we do. And I'm NOT Mormon.

#207777

I have been a find a grave contributor for a few years. I am not Mormon and as far as I know, "data base"s have no religious preference.

You wrote that the contributors are troubled individuals and maybe we all are as we are addicted to honoring the dead and helping others. We are troubled and abnormal because the majority of humans on this planet are self centered, uncaring, fools who assume way too much.

The contributors in my area have been working on adding whole cemeteries and comparing the transcription records with their own transcription and also searching for burial records to also compare. I know the few folks in my area have worked very hard to make the cemeteries here as accurate as humanly possible.

It is too bad you obviously had a bad experience with find a grave. I will pray for you to find a way not to be such a bitter unkind individual who assumes way too much.

#191475

The findagrave volunteers try to be just as accurate as the volunteers at

internment.net, distantcousin, cemeteryjunction, GenWeb tombstone transcription project or any of the local cemetery transcription projects.

Your comment said both that "They are merely just another inaccurate Mormon data base." and that "that the contributors on that site are very troubled individuals"

So am I a database or an individual? I'm not Mormon and many faiths are represented at findagrave, as this is an international project. I am not a troubled individual nor have I ever argued with anyone at findagrave.

But you know you can find angry and unbalanced people everywhere.

While visiting local cemeteries I have been approached by cemetery officials with lists and assistance, as well as a cold beverage on hot days! Every cemetery official I've met has appreciated our volunteer work. This is not an easy task.

Its not easy transcribing names and dates of a stone and realizing it memorializes a child who died at only 18 months old. (my cousin also lost his baby at 18 months... I know the pain and loss this family felt)

Or that a husband and wife died days apart. (I cannot imagine living without my spouse)

Or exposing the text from a grave covered in dirt, weeds and overgrowth to find those ironic words: Gone but not forgotten.

Perhaps this quotation will help you understand how many transcription volunteers feel about cemeteries and this work:

"Lives are commemorated - deaths are recorded - families are reunited - memories are made tangible - and love is undisguised. This is a cemetery.

"Communities accord respect, families bestow reverence, historians seek information and our heritage is thereby enriched.

"Testimonies of devotion, pride and remembrance are carved in stone to pay warm tribute to accomplishments and to the life - not the death - of a loved one. The cemetery is homeland for family memorials that are a sustaining source of comfort to the living.

"A cemetery is a history of people - a perpetual record of yesterday and sanctuary of peace and quiet today. A cemetery exists because every life is worth loving and remembering - always."

~author unknown

Isn't this what the intention of findagrave is? "memorials that are a sustaining source of comfort to the living"

But, in reality, you have no power.

My mother passed away 3 months ago. But I found out last night that some stranger posted a memorial to my mother a year ago.

She had her gravestone set up in advance. There was no death date but that didn't stop them. They just put "????" for the death date.

So calling their records inaccurate is an understatement. Personally, they have caused me tremendous pain and I would stop at nothing to shut them down, if I had the power to.

@Amber

Or you could just send the memorial manager a message and ask them to remove her memorial. Not being callous, but that would solve the problem.

Find A Grave Reviews