1.9
Update by user Mar 11, 2017

After following their instructions to the letter, and sending my complaints to customersolutions@***.com, they verified my name, and address and used all that information to remove and black ball me from the use of find a grave ; they are perhaps the most dishonest...

Shakelia

Thanks for the good laughs, @GriersonOrigins!! I'm rolling on the floor.

Literally wiping the tears from my eyes. See, everyone who uses the site is bound by the "Terms of Use". If you don't like the terms, don't use the site.

If you don't use follow the Terms, they'll disinvite you from using the site. It's their sandbox so they decide who is or is not allowed to play there.

Find A Grave Customer Care
Pros
  • Directions i got from ancestry dot com in utah
Cons
  • Took my details didnt me their last name is suspicious
CHANGE OF MANAGEMENT & RESPECTFUL TREATMENT OF THE PUBLIC

Awful Find a Grave treatment

1.5
I set up memorials for my blood relatives and made some friends on the site and contributed in all good faith originally. However, after some very rude comments and abuse over a few months period, I decided to leave, close my memorials and assumed that would be an end of it. Sadly I was wrong, My memorials were "Re-instated" not by myself but by admins! because some people decided they had sponsored the memorials and that gave them a right to bring them back so to speak. I was stunned as memorials that are personal to me, that I created don't even list me as the creator and I have no control over it. I was not even told my memorials were undeleted and found out when a friend from the site assumed I had returned. I have contacted multiple times the site through email and heard nothing back, I am very fed up and just wish for my memorials to be deleted as others were and left that way. People can be so rude and unthoughtful to others to feel they have a right to steal and alter memorials of people who are not even their family or even friend.

That is an invasion of privacy. Indeed!!!

very rude and I feel sorry for you.

I hope you can fix the problem, or tell someone to leave your family alone! Who do they think they are anyway?

@PissedConsumer1284258

They should be sued! The abuse needs to stop. They have some very vile people on this website!

@PissedConsumer1284258

Need to stay away from the cat people who horde cats memorials right and left....... A sneaky bunch of old ladies! Talk about trouble!

@PissedConsumer1298044

There is some old woman on this website who has a cat memorial for her dead cat that died at 102 years old. lOl!

This shows what some put into making realistic memorials. NOT!

@PissedConsumer1298044

Sum it up to ***

Contrary to what that site claims death records are NOT public information. As a family member if you don't want your family's memorials posted on their website they do not have the "right" to post them.

You can check the vital records section for the state your family is buried in. But if they are not family members they do not have the right to post that information.

@PissedConsumer1283443

That's a load of *** Sure you can have close family members removed (parents, spouse, siblings, children, grandchildren) but not every relative in your tree. If I walk a cemetery and record every grave there, I can add the info that I collected personally to Find A Grave or any other site I choose.

View more comments (6)
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution
I find it difficult to find a contact email for anyone at Find A Grave. And there is no phone number for contact either. This is frustrating when you have a questions that can't be answered through Q&A section. All I want to know is how do you get a memorial number...

First, if you haven't already, you'll need to create an account.

Once you've done that, navigate the site to the page for the cemetery where your grandmother is buried. Click on "Add a name to this cemetery" on the right.

Fill in the form with your grandmother's info and submit.

Once the memorial is created, you can add the link by going to your grandfather's memorial and copying the memorial number (at the bottom of the page). Go back to your grandmother's memorial and click "Link family members" then paste the number into the box for the Spouse.

ID
#992087 Review #992087 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Find A Grave - FAQ is the worst

There is no administration of any website that is worse than Find-A-Grave. I had been contributing for many years, when a group of us, who were working the same county, decided to join together to manage all the memorials we had as one unit. We were all getting up there in years, and didn't want to leave orphan memorials if one of us died. We got it set up, and used the group name to enter a hundred or so additional memorials, and without warning, or responding to our requests afterwards, *** took all of them and locked down our group. It's no use complaining to their administration, or even asking a question; they simply ignore all the problems.
Shakelia

They recently posted in the Find A Grave 'Community Forums' that group memberships are not allowed.

Find A Grave has a "steward" program. You email them the information (contributor #, email) on the person you want to take over your memorials after your death. If each of you do that, your memorials will never be "orphaned".

Marka

findagrave can even suspend anyone they dislike and delete all your past created grave. findagrave can no longer be safe and good now

@Marka

Everyone who uses the site agrees to follow their policies (read the Terms of Use). Anyone who doesn't follow the rules can be suspended or removed from the site. They pay the bills so that is their right.

View more comments (3)
Poor customer service
Find A Grave is valuable for several reasons--it's more comprehensive than the competitive site, there is sometimes information provided by volunteers that cannot be found elsewhere, and a certain number of the volunteers are really good people and you can sometimes...

That's all because Ancestry.com bought findagrave. Figures.

4.9
My experiences with Find A Grave volunteers has been wonderful. They have been expediently responsive, cordial and most helpful. No complaints at all from my standpoint. God bless the majority of volunteers who, without their efforts, would stifle interests in family...

I've only had a very few of the FindAGrave posters be unkind or unwilling. Most have been very helpful and willing to assist where I needed it.

I find the community and the people at the website to be wonderful.

So I have no issues with them. I love using the site.

Good customer service

Find A Grave - Unresponsive Administrator

4.5
When I tried to register with a valid email address, I got error message saying invalid email address. The verification process to prove "human" status is confusing. There is no way to contact the administrator except by US Mail service. I'm required to enter at least 100 words, even though I don't have that much to say. In order to reach that requirement so I can submit this, I'm going to have to write a lot of gibberish. Here it comes. abc def ghi jkl mno pqr stu vwxyz hidey hip hidey ho alabam left dosey do right reach down pick a bale of cotton almost finished a couple more words done this is silly

The "Help with Find A Grave" section (also known as the FAQs) has a list of email addresses under "Help...I have a question. How can I contact Find A Grave?"

@PissedConsumer1234129

dunno???

@PissedConsumer1238046

Dunno what? How to read the email addresses listed in the FAQs? How to find the FAQs?

View more comments (2)
Portland, Oregon
Loss
assist me to register

Find A Grave - Furious

I contacted Find-A-Grave this morning as I recently learned that this notorious DieHard was now PIRATING my memorials - taking memorials I had created, somehow deleting them and creating her own, leaving out much of the information I had posted such as bios, but certain to reuse the pictures I had posted. I went ballistic since this was not my FIRST ordeal with this heifer! I contacted Find-A-Grave, and not only was I REPRIMANDED for my comments, they took 10 points (??) off of my account. What the b(h)ell is this, second grade now?!?!?!?! What's next, am I going to lose my bathroom privileges? I have contacted Admin before with concerns about this same person and never heard anything from them. But yet I am told to contact "support" if you have an issue! Well, I have an ISSUE with them allowing this cheap tyrant continue to reside on their website and to terrorize people! And this is an all new LOW that she has reached. I am pissed off and I am furious over Admin allowing this and have just sent them a rather stunning letter. I will probably get demoted and sent to the dungeon with the lions now. We will see if it does any good, but I have my doubts. I don't think they give a rat's *** - just be sure not to duplicate a memorial or you'll hear from the Find-A-Grave Nazi's!!!
Marka

findagrave suddenly deleted my 2 dead friend funerals by suspend my account without proper reasons given

Marka

that lady is FindAGrave boss (or boss's related person)

is your FindAGrave account suspended?

they can even ban your acc and give your burial record (you created) to other person without your authorization!!!!!

Marka

they even take over thuy trang (yellow ranger actress) grave and keep it themselves.

I am having the same problem. I posted a memorial in 2009 for a RELATIVE.

Now I discover it's been hijacked by some lady & I have no idea how she got control of the memorial. Worst of all, it now says the listing was added in 2013, yet my photos from 2009 are still up there.

How can the photos be older than the actual listing? I emailed admin, but doubt I will ever hear back.

Yes, certain people on Find a Grave think that the cemeteries are theirs, if you add a grave, beware for nasty e-mail. Now I am getting nasty email from a member, going through my memorials, saying this is wrong, that is wrong, IT IS MY FAMILY, I know what is right and what would be wrong, She or he is wrong.

I am so disgusted, I deleted everything, I left 4 memorials on the web site. I am not adding anymore.

I had 129 I deleted 125 of them....

I truly believe that the administrators give preferential treatment to these memorial hoarders.

@PissedConsumer1229155

I think the administrators give preferential treatment to the members who understand and follow the rules.

@PissedConsumer1263499

Or maybe they give preferential treatment to the MEMORIALS that are made according to the rules.

#1219129

I do not understand how folks can be so competitive over posting on this site. I hear similar complaints as listed above.

I don't get how others can delete a memorial they did not create.

Life is just way too short and stressful as it is. And I do agree....people like this should be banned, but then again, I guess they could come back with new names.

I am sorry you are going through the same thing i have for many years. Good luck on solving the problem.

View more comments (10)
Wyaconda, Missouri
Find A Grave Customer Care
Cons
  • Posting of incorrect information
  • Theft of original memorials i created
  • Others deleting memorials i created
Preferred solution
Restoration of my pirated accounts by DieHard and to have her sufficiently reprimanded or permanently removed from the website

Find A Grave - Customer Care Review from Council Bluffs, Iowa

1.8
I have had issue with other find a grave members. Find a grave allows contributors to hide behind anonymity. Recording this information for posterity should require transparency. I used to really like find a grave but no longer. They did not read my e-mail to them and are unresponsive to e-mails. They merge work that has been done by one person into someone else's work.
Calbert
#1190131

Duplicates are merged because only one memorial per person is allowed.

Members can be contacted thru the Edit tab's 6th option on any memorial they manage. It is really that easy.

You said Find A Grave did not read your email and were unresponsive. What was your email about and what response did you need or want?

#1194210
@Calbert

Merges are not always duplicates.

Some members make blank pages as Burial Unknown. Once they see an accurate memorial posted, they copy all the information to their blank page.

Then, they report the other page as a duplicate. If they feel "nice" they might tell the other page creator the page is a duplicate and to delete it.

This is one way some of the members up their page count.

Others have a page with inaccurate information. Name misspelled, wrong burial location, what have you. They will do the same thing.

The page which was created earlier will remain with its page creator.

The other person loses their page.

Find A Grave will look into it if you feel someone has been gaming the system. But my feeling is this is not something they want to be bothered with very often. Unfortunately some members will do anything to increase their total. I had a page merged when mine had the accurate burial location and the other page was a cenotaph.

The cenotaph page creator must have asked for the merge. I sure didn't.

@PissedConsumer1194210

I've never had *** refuse to look at the history of a memorial. Those who typically move their Burial Unknowns into a cemetery and want the second (but correctly created) memorial deleted are "family collectors" who continually misuse the site.

View more comments (2)
Council Bluffs, Iowa

Find A Grave - Customer Care Review from Redwater, Texas

I have submitted several edits to Ellen Stevens #4712****. There has been no response and her Bio and messages are disabled. I wonder if she is still active. Deloris Gueterman #4853****. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Years ago you could email edit at findagrave dot com and in reasonable time get a resolution to a problem. Then Ancestry.com bought Find A Grave and the admin side has gone downhill.

If you call Ancestry (no way to call Find A Grave really) you get "it's all volunteer" or "they are eight weeks BEHIND in doing corrections!" or the like. Never used to be that way! They would fix it, email or politely explain why they could not. Now you need to join *** forums (separately) and read to figure out your problem.

I have seen duplicated records where a graver put ten plus relatives in the wrong city, wrong cemetery; any normal edit was never fixed, no reply. When *** was emailed (four times) they admitted he was deceased, amended his profile, but NEVER FIXED HIS ERRORS! So today--good luck. Read the rules and FAQs online then select other departments to email (info at findagrave dot com) or you may never get a reply.

Are all staffers unpaid there? Why can't Ancestry HQ manage it better since they own it--set up a new system to manage it?!!

Redwater, Texas

Find A Grave - Just Do Not Understand

I am a business woman. I don't have my own business, that dream never worked out for me. I spend a great deal of my time reading about successful companies, organizations, and individuals that have been successful in private business. Many of these individuals have their dreams come true. Their own business. How rewarding. Its not easy to do. I have read a great deal about Jim Tipton. He was a creative young man who took a hobby that he loved and turned that into a wonderful business that has allowed him to earn a substantial living. I dont for one minute fault Jim with earning money from a business that he created. People do have to live and eat and if you can follow your dream and have that happen how lucky you are. Jim had a creative idea and individuals loved the site so much they were willing to become members and volunteer their time for free. They worked hard and made findagrave what it is today. For many it has been a lifesaver to find a hobby that they felt provided a service as well as enjoyment for them. Jim has had faithful members help his business grow beyond what he probably ever imagined. Jim is also said to be a wonderful husband, father and family man. He seems like he has been blessed with the American Dream. What I do not understand is how Jim can allow a company that he loves to be hurt by members that are hurtful and mean to others. These people are not just strict "guideline" followers, they are bullies, stalkers, and just mean. They think nothing of calling others names, making threats and causing pain. They cause pain to the very people who are working hard to help Jim's business continue to be a well loved site. My boss started his own business and it is like a "child" to him. He is so proud and protective. If office workers were reported over and over for years by others my boss would consider them a cancer to the company. We arent just talking about strict or even rude workers. we are not talking about competetion, We are talking about people who threaten, call people names, look up information on people and in a way threaten to "blackmail" others. I know that Jim and the other admins have to be aware of these people. Most of the complaints about the company are because of these individuals. They are driving off the very people who want to help others and represent findagrave in what I think should be Jim's image of a productive company that has the potential to reach billions of people. I just do not understand the business thinking behind allowing these individuals to hurt your company. Half of the complaints on this site would not be here if these people had been taken care of. Why would you allow your reputation and dream to be ruined by such sad people. Read through these complaints. You will find the meanest most hurtful words that you have ever read. If I were a business owner I would read these complaints so that I could improve my company. I hope Jim will read all of the complaints and see the ones that come up over and over again. I know he cares. You cant be successful unless you Care.
Khamari

I've been a Find A Grave contributor (not the hoarding type) for over a year and am not thrilled with everything about the site, but I don't understand all the Mormon bashing. I don't belong to that religion because I can't believe what they do, but - this will probably *** you off - I've found SINCERE Mormons to be very kind, non-judgemental, happy (in a quiet way) people. I do absolutely hate how some Find A Grave contributors are pampered and given special privileges while others seem to be discriminated against, so I'm wondering if the pets are Mormon.

Tanaiya
#721959

The ignorance here is astonishing. I expect the majority of Find A Grave contributors are even Mormon.

Most of us are genealogists or historians trying to learn about or preserve family information, local history, military participation, etc. There is no obligation or expectation that volunteers are Mormons. Jim may be Mormon or not. I don't know because I don't particularly care.

I have visited Salt Lake's LDS library and found missionaries that to be incredibly knowledgeable and helpful with research sources there. The ONLY time they asked if I was Mormon was when I needed to set up my FamilySearch account. There is a different log in for members. But there was not another inquiry, suggestion or mention of religion in the nine days I was there.

If your family member was some variety of more mainstream Christianity, something someone says after their death has no impact on them. They were who they were and are where they are. That can't be changed retroactively. As for the site, there is no extortion, blackmail, or any other nefarious activities being conducted by the site.

Interfering with your inheritance? That's ridiculous. How do people make this stuff up?? FTC, DOJ, IRS, BBB?

Give me a break. Ads and sponsorship pay for technology in addition to Jim's payroll. The site is FREE! Free to use, free to contribute.

You have no obligation to pay one red cent to ANYONE. He found a niche, and has been successful. It isn't associated to Ancestry.com although many volunteers subscribe. It is simply a grave registration site.

It doesn't matter if a grave is your great great grandfather or a Navy SEAL. They deserve to be memorialized somewhere.

If you don't like the site, stay away. It isn't any more complicated than that.

#721983
@Tanaiya

Shortstop, you can BS some of the people some of the time but NOT all of the people all of the time---I WAS MORMON, I JUST MIGHT KNOW A THING OR 2 ABOUT THE CHURCH THAT YOU DON'T! I am currently talking with the ACLU since Freedom of religion includes Freedom FROM religion and that means you leave people the *** alone!

I have lost my only child in service to this country and he deseerves HIS RIGHTS to his chosen religion. Every one3 of the sites should have in large lettewrs at the top of the page A MORMON RELIGIOUS SITE and then the rest of us can decide; yes,k most of us can make up our own minds.

To charge $5 ro REMOVE COMMERCIALS FROM YOUR LOVED ONE'S SITE IS NOT BLACKMAIL?? Guess you are a good little missionary boy just like Mitt Romney was, tell others to go to war but stay home and safe himself just like his sons.

@PissedConsumer721983

It's not blackmail because YOU DONT OWN the dead person. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS to anything about the dead person.

I know, it's hard for simpletons to understand, but no matter what the relationship was when he was alive - you don't have any say once they are dead. You just don't.

If you did, we wouldn't even have this website to begin with. so go :cry :cry :cry :cry

#721990
@Tanaiya

Gee whiz, Jim Jones was pretty helpful too, wasn't he?

#720270

The Mormons will do "Dead-Dunking" aka "Re baptizing" of ANYONE who has died. This is why they scan the obituaries on a daily basis.

In my opinion, it is just morbid.

I am reminded a few years back when they got a list of names of Jewish people who died in the Holocaust and the Mormons started doing their dead dunking rituals yet again in their "Mormon temples/cult-houses".

They even started submitting the names of Catholics, Catholic Saints and Popes names as well. NOT ONE person in any religion is immune from this. It stirs up the tempers of people who have never been Mormons when the family of the decedent finds out, and then they say..."Oh, okay, we won't do that anymore." Well, ya know what??

They turn around and BAM, they start right back up doing it yet again. There is NO stopping them. This is WHY they want your relatives names AND birthdates plus their date of death as well. It is so they can "Baptize by proxy" in their temple rituals.

So, if your male relative died, only a Mormon male with a 'temple recommend' card can get into the temple and do the dead dunking for the deceased. If the dead relative is a female, then it has to be a Mormon female with a 'temple recommend' card that can get into their temple and do that decedents re-baptising. A 'temple recommend' card is basically like a library card that lets only the most faithful (in their words)into the temple to do so called temple work...They have to be attending church every Sunday, and be paying a FULL 10% tithing every month off the top of their earnings/income in order to get a Temple Recommend"... Special handshakes, chants, dead dunking, "sealing" of families to each other done by handshakes, symbols, gestures, etc,is what is going on in those temples if you ever wondered.

An average person will say "Secret handshakes" The Mormons will say "Sacred Ordinances". Either way it is plain *** and a whole bunch of ***. They also wear white underclothes called "garments" that have the Freemasons symbols on them. They really do look quite silly.

The so called 'sealing' is supposed to bond families and wives to husbands forever and for eternity. Joseph Smith was a FORMER member of the Freemasons back in the early 1800s...the Masons found out he was an unsavory character cause he was a scam artist who was ripping off his neighbors (one of his things was to look into a hat with a 'magic rock')....so the Masons kicked him out. Smith then in order to get revenge against the Masons for kicking him out stole the Masons handshakes, chants, symbols, and just about everything that was sacred to the Masons. That includes everything right down to the white outfits and green waiter type aprons that are worn IN the Temple by the men.

That is why they lynched Smith when they did. (Smith should have been drowned at birth, then tossed into a bucket in the corner). Look at ANY Mormon temple worldwide, and you will see the same symbols on the Mormon temples as a Masonic Temple. They also all have that same bland smell to them as well.

Trust me, other than just plain creepiness, ain't nothing going on in those temples. Well, only if you were Warren Jeffs.

Seems to me that they spend so much time concentrating on the dead that they don't live in the here and now. :grin

@PissedConsumer720270

I would have to say you are doing some distorting. And have a very strong and bitter opinion about this. But some of your facts are undoubtedly skewed.

Willadean

I also need to know how we can find out IF the mormons have rebaptized someone....I went to one site and they saiud "FREE 7 Day TRIAL" but you hyave to fill out a form and give them your credit card # to get the free trial....if anyone out there knows how to find out IF someone has been rebaptized please let me know!

@Willadean

If you act like a civilized human being, you might be able to get some kind of info from the LDS site. But you might be better served to ask if a specific person has been baptized by proxy.

Because you may not have enough hard drive space to download a complete database.

But with your paranoia, by you submitting the names you are wondering about.

You would probably fear, oh no, now they really are next in line.

Willadean

No one has a right to change your religion AFTER YOU DIE!! There has to be something in it for them, somehow they are getting something whether it be your family inheritence, your land, something!

I found out that if you really believe he is NOT reporting all this money as income you can file a tax form: 3949A and he will be investigated. After reading some of these blogs about people "sponsoring" the memorials and it needs to be in cash then I believe he is not reporting it as income. I also read that he is not returning the money to people who quit or whatever. He has no right making money off an honorable Navy SEALS grave loacation.

I added him to this so his friends could find him....not for this mormon from another planet to make $ on his name. Funny, the mormons main goal in life is stalk people and make money on them.

Israel was promised they wouldn't rebaptize Anne Frank AGAIN...but they have. Time to find a Jewish/Israeli lawyer to stop this----this is STALKING, PLAIN & SIMPLE.

View more comments (22)