Find A Grave - E-mail from a user to me.
When I try to reply to the person that sent me an edit of great aunt Chritsina Virginia Sluss Smith, it only goes to find-a-grave and I get a non sent message>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You wrote: Christina Smith (130811227) Suggested edit: Please remove my Grandmothers...
Amerah

Hi Karen. What you have received it is not an email from that contributor, it is a suggested and you can't reply to it.

The email of the contributor 4662**** is "dianasexton244@***.com". You can email her there, but I think she'd like to disturb you and nothing else.

Take Care. Aryadne

Good customer service
Please delete my family memorials. I do not wish to have them on Find a grave. 1. Memorial ID 8904**** Robert Louis Gill, my father 2. Memorial ID 8477**** Ruperta Gill, my Grandmother 3. Memorial ID.18815**** my dog! Please Honor my request. Sincerely, Gloria Gill...
Gloria G

I am welcoming comments to others who have made similiar requests as to how long it takes to have their memorials removed. As I have several more Memorials that I am considering to remove.

I will keep everyone updated as to how long before my requests are honored.

Your comments are highly appreciated! Sincerely, Gloria

Resolved

Find A Grave Forums

I've read their forums for a while now and any nutcase with a computer can post on their forums. Some guy from Seattle has nothing better to do than follow people from thread to thread trying to cause trouble. He rants like a lunatic and harasses people trying to have conversations. He replies to everyone's posts by saying they are abusing him even when they are not talking to him. There is very little oversight on the forums which is why this guy is allowed to run rampant all hours of the day. Beware of people trying to bait you over there.

Now they've changed the forum in a way that's thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Now random people can't just post, but there isn't much there worth posting about. No lounge forum, just a bunch of questions that have been answered a million times before, and a chatroom which is heavily moderated and has very little use to anyone.

@PissedConsumer996575

Heavily moderated is better than the moderation they had before. I quit visiting the lounge for that reason but I used the rest of the forums.

If I'm on FG, I'm there to work on memorials.

I understand people like the forums to chat etc.. but that's not the reason for FG or the forums.

View more comments (1)
Utah, United States
Find A Grave Forum
Pros
  • Photos of grave markers
Cons
  • Unresponsive administrators
I have over 200 years of pictures and historical documents and letters and etc. I have documented family history and found this site. I found numerous relatives which I have some really neat stuff to post on their memorials for others researching. A user named PAINT...

That really galls me too, that it is allowed to input erroneous information about a stranger, yet the relative, a friend or even a casual acquaintance - who at least personally knew and has knowledge on the deceased, is denied ownership. SMH!

Rights automatically should go to a relative. If one is in a hospital, they certainly don't allow strangers to have access to the patient, just on a whim.

A stranger can't claim a deceased person, only a family member or designated POA has those rights. It sure is deplorable what some get away with...

Decatur, Alabama
Find A Grave Forum
Cons
  • Customer service
Poor customer service

Find A Grave - I'm Sorry for those with unfortunate experiences

5.0
As a Find A Grave member myself, it pains me to hear so many negative experiences from people. As with any community, it is unfair to make general statements about an entire group. I am aware that not every member shares the same level of respect, but I take pride in preserving history and people's stories. I have created memorials for my own family members as well as receiving transfers. But not everyone is willing to transfer memorials because some have been deleted after such work was put into them. I enjoy assisting people looking for relatives or friends who may not live near the cemeteries I do. Too much fascinating history is at risk for being lost and my Find A Grave work is a way for me to blend my passion for genealogy and history. The 2 go hand in hand naturally. I resent being referred to as a hoarder or vulture or meanie as I've read in this forum. I am anything but, and again apologize for those who have had such encounters and dealings. Jennifer Dickinson You can find me by that name on Find A Grave and Ancestry.com ~ Perhaps I can assist you and share a more positive

Jennifer, a very good post by you and as a Find A Grave volunteer myself, and a 20+ year genealogist, I appreciate those that are reputable. I would like to offer one correction to what you posted.

Find A Grave rules state that relatives within 4 generations should be transferred to legitimate family members and if the original contributor refuses to make the transfer, just contact Find A Grave through one of it's many email addresses delineated in their FAQ area of their site.

I have never had a problem with them and I have transferred and requested transfers many times. Even those outside of the 4 generation guideline I have been able to get the original contributor to transfer to me after I explained my reasoning.

Good Hunting to You!

You are "sorry" and a vulture! You are a grave vampire too!

Hahaha Kari you got you pathetic rant deleted!!!! Awesome job pissed consumer....Thank you for deleting Kari Norstog.

"But not everyone is willing to transfer memorials because some have been deleted after such work was put into them." There is absolutely NO excuse for hoarding numbers on find a grave which is supposed to be about memorials of the dead, not about history or a hobby for anyone. Perpetrating cruelty such as this extortion of money for sponsoring, or even caring about the deletion by a relative has to stop.

We respect the dead in this country, and we honor the surviving family by NEVER encroaching as anyone who refuses a transfer or resents a deletion does. No better than the westboro baptist church of ***.

No better! If enough people complain to ancestry.com eventually this will stop!

@PissedConsumer914383

AMEN!!!

@PissedConsumer914383

"extortion of money for sponsoring" When have you been extorted for money? Paying the $5 is completely voluntary.

I have given $10 to FG because I wanted to add more picture to my husbands memorial and my grandmothers memorial. No one twisted my arm or made me write a bad check. I was never extorted for the money.

You just need to get off FG if this is how you feel. It is evidently not for you.

View more comments (5)
Farmington, Connecticut
Not all of us are BAD

Find A Grave bought by Ancestry.com

Best news I've heard in a long time. They are draining the swamp over there and it is hilarious! The Help Forum is now just that, a HELP forum. The forum thugs have been shut out now that that thread is moderated. People can ask questions without getting jumped, no more 300 hundred page threads about "Gimme Grabbers", "Ploppers", "Tree Builders" and the ever popular people "who don't want to play by the rules". The Thugs did try to bully the guy who started Find a Grave, like if they stomped their feet enough and threatened to delete their memorials enough he would change his mind about selling it. Idiots. The thread is now locked because the same people simply could not shut the *** up about it. You can still see the thread, it's stickied like warning along the lines of leaving heads on pikes by London Bridge. Brilliant, lol. When you read it, you'll be stunned by the hypocrisy of the Forum thugs. The same people who spouted off nonsense like "Jim's sandbox, his rules blah,blah blah" ad nauseam were so outraged over the sale they stated calling him pet names such as LIAR, and he went back on his word etc. like a bunch of jilted brides. Those people became unhinged over someone innocently wandering into the "Help" forum and asking why someone would not transfer great great grandma. Jim Tipton needs to look into Restraining Orders, by selling out to the man (Ancestry) he took the lives of these creepers away. They literally would park themselves on the Help thread from the time they woke up until the time they went to bed. As they (and we all know who THEY are) loved to bark at anyone who dared question their self imposed authority or God forbid point out their hoarding tendencies, "you are welcome to start your own site" Please do us all a favor and take down your pictures, now people can request a photo that some hoarder won't be screaming copyright over. So for all the whining babies who are leaving Find a Grave, don't let the door hit ya! Karma is a boomerang hahahahahaha

Seems like a karma ran over their dogma

I love your post :grin

You keep posting the same racist, ridiculous, incoherent comment all over the place, then you high 5 yourself when you respond to your own post.

You are a very sad individual. It makes sense that you would cling to a website like it was your family :sigh

***

V

View more comments (3)
ID
#452080 Review #452080 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Raleigh, North Carolina

Find A Grave - Censorship Is Alive & Well At Find-A-Grave

The tin-pot dictators (admins) and their forum "pets" are at it again! Some of the self-imagined forum "royalty" were so offended by the word "hoarder" (I guess the truth hurts)that they whined and complained to the admins about it, and the admins, instead of telling them to deal with it, obligingly changed the program so that unless you put a space or some kind of symbol between each letter of "hoarder," it changes the word to "contributor." There's some talk of doing the same thing for the word "numbers." More troubling than the censorship, is that someone (I think it was Jackie, AKA Diehard) said that they found the word "hoarder" to be as offensive as the "N" word, and that statement didn't seem to bother anyone, outside of a couple of people. Another instance of censorship (IMO anyway) has recently been implemented in the so-called "Help" Forum. The dictators have decreed that once they determine that a question has been "adequately answered," they will lock the thread. Way to stifle free speech, Find-A-Grave!

Yeah jimmy tipton now let ancestry run the site like it should be can't wait to see you leave and take all you hateful administration to hEllll with you. I still get a chuckle out of the FACT that tipton neglected to inform f.a.g.

members of the sale of f.a.g.

to ancestry all those foolish members found out through ancestry not the all mighty f.a.g.it forum. :grin :grin

Hooray for Jim Tipton and the great site he created. For those of us who enjoy genealogy, this site has been amazing.

Thanks, Jim, and congratulations on your sale. Ancestry has picked a good one!

Hey Anonymous : The only *** is you. You think everyone should bow down to you.

Wrong !!! You are a real piece of work. How many memorial pages have you got from Find A Grave that were Stolen and passed on to you by you Buuudy ? One of the top Memorial Hoarder has almost 2 Million memorial pages.

Now is that hoarding or not? Dahhh Now if this dumb *** dies nobody will transfer them , Nobody will manage them , No corrections will be made because there is nobody at Home at Find A Dummy. Except you !! You will be there with your hands out begging for more.

Nobody cares about your ancesters.. Oh -- You worked so hard !! What about anyone else ? Is their time worth anything or is it all about you ??

Messing it up for you ,, I can only hope so. Get a life !!

Let me tell you blooming idiots a thing or two. Us "hoarders" have worked our buns off adding t this site.

Then here you come along, wanting SOMETHING FOR NOTHING and mess it up for all of us.

This is a cemetery registration site....get over it, we don't actually hold dead bodies. How *** can you get?

We added names to cemeteries, you can find this same information all over the web.

Try rootsweb tombstone transcription project, genealogy trails, type in transcri0ptions in your search ENGINE and get busy if you are too lazy to go out and actually walk and photograph cemeteries.

QUIT TAKING AND STARY GIVING...

JWG throwing a hissy fit like a seven year old? She seems to be very good at that.

I'm glad my mother taught me better.

Maybe if she stopped hoarding people wouldn't call her a hoarder? Seems simple, but that would just be way to easy.

@PissedConsumer717368

JWG now has no control... ha.. I love it

View more comments (5)
Des Moines, Iowa
Find A Grave Forum
Within the last month I found my sister's obituary on Find a Grave, word for word how my family and I prepared it. It was submitted by someone we do not know, nor were we approached for permission. At first I was really concerned about their failure to ask permission...

I'd like to hold my hand out and tell all the whiners about Findagrave to just 'cry me a handful'!!! True, Findagrave is not what it started out to be and have changed their rules but if you don't like it, then SUCK it up and move on.

Good gosh, I never heard or saw so many whiners when they don't get their way. And for calling people names, SHAME on YOU!

Tulsa, Oklahoma

Find A Grave - Stealing Memorials

I had contributed over 15,000 memorials and even more pictures to Find A Grave when someone decided she wanted the memorials I posted for a particular cemetery. Not only did this person get me banished from F.A.G. she took over all the memorials (over a 1,000) I had posted for that cemetery even though allegedly F.A.G. doesn't simply transfer large numbers of memorials simply because someone wants them. Now I've noticed she is slowly having the memorials I posted deleted so she can add a duplicate of what I originally posted so that she can look like the originator of the memorial for that person. Additionally she has also reused some of my pictures as if she had taken them. This same person also doesn't bother to consider if the person listed on the tombstone is dead yet. For example if the memorial doesn't have a death date inscribed she posts a memorial for that person even though they may not be dead yet. Rather than banning someone like her they ban the person who complains about her. The administrators play favorites and apply the rules as it suits them. By their actions they discourage people trying to be helpful and have good memorials with good info to honor the deceased and encourage rotten behavior especially in the forum. Find A Grave has many nice features but the way it is being run and used, often by mean, petty and controlling persons, makes it a website to avoid. They've gotten all they are ever going to get out of me including the gas I used, wear and tear on my car and my body in taking all those pictures as well as my time posting the memorials and pictures. From the complaints I've seen on this website alone I'm not the only one that has been royally screwed by Find A Grave.

This person that you are talking about is actually an admin. They are trained to do this.

If you manage 1,000 memorials you could at any time delete the memorials. This person that stole your memorials does not care about the memorial they only care about making money for the company. Once an admin "manages" the memorial nobody can delete it and that memorial will make money for the company for years to come. They dont want to look bad so the admins use fake "member names" that is why if you complain you never see the trouble maker deleted.

Oh sometimes if it becomes obvious they may "pretend" to delete the member but actually they just make up a new name. This is not an ethical company... they use people and the dead. They also have your computer's IP address that they gained when you originally registered so you could log in.

Dont waste your time creating a new account with a new name or even new email... they will know its you if you use the same computer because it will have the same IP address. I had a computer expert tell me exactly how they play their game.

Greed... that is all this site is about.

That's because the person that did this, is an admin. They hide behind names and such.

There are several pending lawsuits against these people. Report them to the BBB, keep posting in forums, file complaints for copyright violations, send articles and evidence to any online news sources you can find that will post it. The more evidence that piles up, the faster we will be able to shut this site down.

They are nothing more than a pack of liars and thieves over there - and everyone knows it. Especially the admins who are the worst offenders of them all.

I dont know how can she the original creator when you can look at the dates created and see it that she isn't.

@PissedConsumer680666

Admins were busted for changing dates in the database so their buddies appeared to have the oldest memorial. They were bragging about it. Don't know if they are still doing it, but when a memorial #Z (1,000 for example) has an earlier date than memorial #Y (memorial 999), something's wrong.

Forget the dead ,get a life.

View more comments (4)
Loss

Find A Grave Reviews

Find A Grave reviews

Find A Grave - Two Major Flaws in Find-A-Grave

Find-A-Grave can be a very helpful website for remembering the deceased and genealogy (even if some people don't like it being used for the latter). However, it has two major flaws. The first is getting changes made which can be an act of Congress. Because of the rules the first person to post a memorial for a particular deceased person has a virtual monopoly on all the info that can be posted about that person in all of find a grave as long as they remain active and include the minimal info in the memorial (which according to some only needs to be what is on the tombstone). In other words they can keep all other data on that person from ever being posted anywhere in find a grave. Even going to the administrators to have changes made can be lengthy drawn out process requiring months and several tries. The result is often a hodgepodge of memorials and info which simply wastes lots of time and effort. The second thing wrong with find a grave is that the way it is set up and administered encourages bullies to harass people no matter how much they contribute or try to help others. The find a grave forum is like a vicious cult with Jim Tipton as their leader and find a grave is his little fiefdom. The rules and the way the website is administered need to be changed. There is something very wrong with a website they punishes people trying to be helpful and rewards the bullies who like to find ways to annoy people and report them for 'infractions' no matter how small or imagined. There is also something wrong when you have to worry about every word you say for fear someone will report you even if you didn't say anything all that wrong. I know of no other website dedicated for the public good that is run this way. Frequently Asked Questions on any website is not something people check unless, wait for it, they have a question (imagine that). It is not something they memorize and act on according to what it says absolutely as if it were the Bible. If they were meant to be rules and followed absolutely then they should be listed as rules with the expressed notation that they shall be followed or you will be banished and any work you have done on the website will be taken away from you as the administers see fit. By the way those who obsess about rules should remember the many famous people in history who defied the rules. That is how things change by defying rules and demanding change. I know of no better example of what I mean than one particular person who annoyed so many people they just had to literally crucify him.

Copyrights:

Newspapers and Copyright

Everything published in a newspaper is protected under copyright law. Copyright law grants the legal rights to a work of intellectual property to a certain party.

Web Content Is Copyrighted, Too

Just because content published on the web can be easily cut and pasted doesn't mean it is any less protected than content on the printed newspaper page. Newspapers are vigilant about protecting their copyrights, so if you're going to paste a clipping of an article to your company or organization website, always make sure you request the permission of the newspaper before doing so.

10 Big Myths about copyright explained

An attempt to answer common myths about copyright seen on the net and cover issues related to copyright and USENET/Internet publication.

- by Brad Templeton

Note that this is an essay about copyright myths. It assumes you know at least what copyright is -- basically the legal exclusive right of the author of a creative work to control the copying of that work. If you didn't know that, check out my own brief introduction to copyright for more information. Feel free to link to this document, no need to ask me. Really, NO need to ask.

1) "If it doesn't have a copyright notice, it's not copyrighted."

This was true in the past, but today almost all major nations follow the Berne copyright convention. For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not. The default you should assume for other people's works is that they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you know otherwise. There are some old works that lost protection without notice, but frankly you should not risk it unless you know for sure.

It is true that a notice strengthens the protection, by warning people, and by allowing one to get more and different damages, but it is not necessary. If it looks copyrighted, you should assume it is. This applies to pictures, too. You may not scan pictures from magazines and post them to the net, and if you come upon something unknown, you shouldn't post that either.

The correct form for a notice is:

"Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]"

You can use C in a circle © instead of "Copyright" but "(C)" has never been given legal force. The phrase "All Rights Reserved" used to be required in some nations but is now not legally needed most places. In some countries it may help preserve some of the "moral rights."

2) "If I don't charge for it, it's not a violation."

False. Whether you charge can affect the damages awarded in court, but that's main difference under the law. It's still a violation if you give it away -- and there can still be serious damages if you hurt the commercial value of the property. There is a USA exception for personal copying of music, which is not a violation, though courts seem to have said that doesn't include widescale anonymous personal copying as Napster. If the work has no commercial value, the violation is mostly technical and is unlikely to result in legal action. Fair use determinations (see below) do sometimes depend on the involvement of money.

3) "If it's posted to Usenet it's in the public domain."

False. Nothing modern and creative is in the public domain anymore unless the owner explicitly puts it in the public domain(*). Explicitly, as in you have a note from the author/owner saying, "I grant this to the public domain." Those exact words or words very much like them.

Some argue that posting to Usenet implicitly grants permission to everybody to copy the posting within fairly wide bounds, and others feel that Usenet is an automatic store and forward network where all the thousands of copies made are done at the command (rather than the consent) of the poster. This is a matter of some debate, but even if the former is true (and in this writer's opinion we should all pray it isn't true) it simply would suggest posters are implicitly granting permissions "for the sort of copying one might expect when one posts to Usenet" and in no case is this a placement of material into the public domain. It is important to remember that when it comes to the law, computers never make copies, only human beings make copies. Computers are given commands, not permission. Only people can be given permission. Furthermore it is very difficult for an implicit licence to supersede an explicitly stated licence that the copier was aware of.

Note that all this assumes the poster had the right to post the item in the first place. If the poster didn't, then all the copies are pirated, and no implied licence or theoretical reduction of the copyright can take place.

(*) Copyrights can expire after a long time, putting something into the public domain, and there are some fine points on this issue regarding older copyright law versions. However, none of this applies to material from the modern era, such as net postings.

Note that granting something to the public domain is a complete abandonment of all rights. You can't make something "PD for non-commercial use." If your work is PD, other people can even modify one byte and put their name on it. You might want to look into Creative Commons style licences if you want to grant wide rights.

4) "My posting was just fair use!"

See EFF notes on fair use and links from it for a detailed answer, but bear the following in mind:

The "fair use" exemption to (U.S.) copyright law was created to allow things such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education about copyrighted works without the permission of the author. That's vital so that copyright law doesn't block your freedom to express your own works -- only the ability to appropriate other people's. Intent, and damage to the commercial value of the work are important considerations. Are you reproducing an article from the New York Times because you needed to in order to criticise the quality of the New York Times, or because you couldn't find time to write your own story, or didn't want your readers to have to register at the New York Times web site? The first is probably fair use, the others probably aren't.

Fair use is generally a short excerpt and almost always attributed. (One should not use much more of the work than is needed to make the commentary.) It should not harm the commercial value of the work -- in the sense of people no longer needing to buy it (which is another reason why reproduction of the entire work is a problem.) Famously, copying just 300 words from Gerald Ford's 200,000 word memoir for a magazine article was ruled as not fair use, in spite of it being very newsworthy, because it was the most important 300 words -- why he pardoned Nixon.

Note that most inclusion of text in followups and replies is for commentary, and it doesn't damage the commercial value of the original posting (if it has any) and as such it is almost surely fair use. Fair use isn't an exact doctrine, though. The court decides if the right to comment overrides the copyright on an individual basis in each case. There have been cases that go beyond the bounds of what I say above, but in general they don't apply to the typical net misclaim of fair use.

The "fair use" concept varies from country to country, and has different names (such as "fair dealing" in Canada) and other limitations outside the USA.

Facts and ideas can't be copyrighted, but their expression and structure can. You can always write the facts in your own wordsthough

See the DMCA alert for recent changes in the law.

5) "If you don't defend your copyright you lose it." -- "Somebody has that name copyrighted!"

False. Copyright is effectively never lost these days, unless explicitly given away. You also can't "copyright a name" or anything short like that, such as almost all titles. You may be thinking of trade marks, which apply to names, and can be weakened or lost if not defended.

You generally trademark terms by using them to refer to your brand of a generic type of product or service. Like a "Delta" airline. Delta Airlines "owns" that word applied to air travel, even though it is also an ordinary word. Delta Hotels owns it when applied to hotels. (This case is fairly unusual as both are travel companies. Usually the industries are more distinct.) Neither owns the word on its own, only in context, and owning a mark doesn't mean complete control -- see a more detailed treatise on this law for details.

You can't use somebody else's trademark in a way that would steal the value of the mark, or in a way that might make people confuse you with the real owner of the mark, or which might allow you to profit from the mark's good name. For example, if I were giving advice on music videos, I would be very wary of trying to label my works with a name like "mtv." :-) You can use marks to critcise or parody the holder, as long as it's clear you aren't the holder.

6) "If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work belongs to me."

False. U.S. Copyright law is quite explicit that the making of what are called "derivative works" -- works based or derived from another copyrighted work -- is the exclusive province of the owner of the original work. This is true even though the making of these new works is a highly creative process. If you write a story using settings or characters from somebody else's work, you need that author's permission.

Yes, that means almost all "fan fiction" is arguably a copyright violation. If you want to publish a story about Jim Kirk and Mr. Spock, you need Paramount's permission, plain and simple. Now, as it turns out, many, but not all holders of popular copyrights turn a blind eye to "fan fiction" or even subtly encourage it because it helps them. Make no mistake, however, that it is entirely up to them whether to do that.

There is a major exception -- criticism and parody. The fair use provision says that if you want to make fun of something like Star Trek, you don't need their permission to include Mr. Spock. This is not a loophole; you can't just take a non-parody and claim it is one on a technicality. The way "fair use" works is you get sued for copyright infringement, and you admit you did copy, but that your copying was a fair use. A subjective judgment on, among other things, your goals, is then made.

However, it's also worth noting that a court has never ruled on this issue, because fan fiction cases always get settled quickly when the defendant is a fan of limited means sued by a powerful publishing company. Some argue that completely non-commercial fan fiction might be declared a fair use if courts get to decide. You can read more

7) "They can't get me, defendants in court have powerful rights!"

Copyright law is mostly civil law. If you violate copyright you would usually get sued, not be charged with a crime. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a principle of criminal law, as is "proof beyond a reasonable doubt." Sorry, but in copyright suits, these don't apply the same way or at all. It's mostly which side and set of evidence the judge or jury accepts or believes more, though the rules vary based on the type of infringement. In civil cases you can even be made to testify against your own interests.

8) "Oh, so copyright violation isn't a crime or anything?"

Actually, in the 90s in the USA commercial copyright violation involving more than 10 copies and value over $2500 was made a felony. So watch out. (At least you get the protections of criminal law.) On the other hand, don't think you're going to get people thrown in jail for posting your E-mail. The courts have much better things to do. This is a fairly new, untested statute. In one case an operator of a pirate BBS that didn't charge was acquited because he didn't charge, but congress amended the law to cover that.

9) "It doesn't hurt anybody -- in fact it's free advertising."

It's up to the owner to decide if they want the free ads or not. If they want them, they will be sure to contact you. Don't rationalize whether it hurts the owner or not, ask them. Usually that's not too hard to do. Time past, ClariNet published the very funny Dave Barry column to a large and appreciative Usenet audience for a fee, but some person didn't ask, and forwarded it to a mailing list, got caught, and the newspaper chain that employs Dave Barry pulled the column from the net, *** off everybody who enjoyed it. Even if you can't think of how the author or owner gets hurt, think about the fact that piracy on the net hurts everybody who wants a chance to use this wonderful new technology to do more than read other people's flamewars.

10) "They e-mailed me a copy, so I can post it."

To have a copy is not to have the copyright. All the E-mail you write is copyrighted. However, E-mail is not, unless previously agreed, secret. So you can certainly report on what E-mail you are sent, and reveal what it says. You can even quote parts of it to demonstrate. Frankly, somebody who sues over an ordinary message would almost surely get no damages, because the message has no commercial value, but if you want to stay strictly in the law, you should ask first. On the other hand, don't go nuts if somebody posts E-mail you sent them. If it was an ordinary non-secret personal letter of minimal commercial value with no copyright notice (like 99.9% of all E-mail), you probably won't get any damages if you sue them. Note as well that, the law aside, keeping private correspondence private is a courtesy one should usually honour.

11)"So I can't ever reproduce anything?"

Myth #11 (I didn't want to change the now-famous title of this article) is actually one sometimes generated in response to this list of 10 myths. No, copyright isn't an iron-clad lock on what can be published. Indeed, by many arguments, by providing reward to authors, it encourages them to not just allow, but fund the publication and distribution of works so that they reach far more people than they would if they were free or unprotected -- and unpromoted. However, it must be remembered that copyright has two main purposes, namely the protection of the author's right to obtain commercial benefit from valuable work, and more recently the protection of the author's general right to control how a work is used.

While copyright law makes it technically illegal to reproduce almost any new creative work (other than under fair use) without permission, if the work is unregistered and has no real commercial value, it gets very little protection. The author in this case can sue for an injunction against the publication, actual damages from a violation, and possibly court costs. Actual damages means actual money potentially lost by the author due to publication, plus any money gained by the defendant. But if a work has no commercial value, such as a typical E-mail message or conversational USENET posting, the actual damages will be zero. Only the most vindictive (and rich) author would sue when no damages are possible, and the courts don't look kindly on vindictive plaintiffs, unless the defendants are even more vindictive.

The author's right to control what is done with a work, however, has some validity, even if it has no commercial value. If you feel you need to violate a copyright "because you can get away with it because the work has no value" you should ask yourself why you're doing it. In general, respecting the rights of creators to control their creations is a principle many advocate adhering to.

In addition, while quite often people make incorrect claims of "fair use" it is a still valid and important concept necessary to allow the criticism of copyrighted works and their creators through examples. It's also been extended to allow things like home recording of TV shows and moving music from CDs you own to your MP3 player. But please read more about it before you do it.

In Summary

These days, almost all things are copyrighted the moment they are written, and no copyright notice is required.

Copyright is still violated whether you charged money or not, only damages are affected by that.

Postings to the net are not granted to the public domain, and don't grant you any permission to do further copying except perhaps the sort of copying the poster might have expected in the ordinary flow of the net.

Fair use is a complex doctrine meant to allow certain valuable social purposes. Ask yourself why you are republishing what you are posting and why you couldn't have just rewritten it in your own words.

Copyright is not lost because you don't defend it; that's a concept from trademark law. The ownership of names is also from trademark law, so don't say somebody has a name copyrighted.

Fan fiction and other work derived from copyrighted works is a copyright violation.

Copyright law is mostly civil law where the special rights of criminal defendants you hear so much about don't apply. Watch out, however, as new laws are moving copyright violation into the criminal realm.

Don't rationalize that you are helping the copyright holder; often it's not that hard to ask permission.

Posting E-mail is technically a violation, but revealing facts from E-mail you got isn't, and for almost all typical E-mail, nobody could wring any damages from you for posting it. The law doesn't do much to protect works with no commercial value.

what a pathetic a joke you are! you are one of those people that jump fences to trample on our loved ones final resting place a place you do not belong!

you should be concerned with your own rather than others loved ones. you buzzards standing on our loved ones graves so you can rack up numbers that's all it is to you numbers, these are people we knew and loved.

I am sick you f.a.g. people lurking over our loved ones grave for the sake of a picture you all are nothing more than dirty buzzards.

COPYRIGHT LAWS...They supersede F.A.G.'s FAQ'S

Find A Grave is one of the biggest VIOLATORS OF COPYRIGHTS!

COPYRIGHT LAWS...They supersede F.A.G.'s FAQ'S

Find A Grave is one of the biggest VIOLATORS OF COPYRIGHTS!

FIND A GRAVE HAS MORE THAN 2 MAJOR FLAWS...LIKE JIM TIPTON & DEB DASH AND PROFIT-ING FROM THE DEATHS OF OUR LOVED ONES. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AND AROUND...

Find a Grave's mission is to find, record and present final disposition information from around the world as a virtual cemetery experience.

Memorial contributions to Find A Grave should fulfill that mission - registration of the final disposition. If the memorial contribution corresponds with only the main mission, then the memorial fulfills its purpose as part of Find A Grave's mission.

OTHER RULES THEY SEEM TO BE FOGGY ABOUT

You should never deliberately create a duplicate memorial. In regard to duplicates, a memorial with a correct known burial location will always be preferred over an unknown burial location.

They are also unfamiliar with how to get changes made.

Tanya ADMINISTRATOR responded-I'm sorry if the first added memorial for Stephen Jewett was added to the wrong cemetery, and yours was added to the correct one.

This was my first reality that people were adding names from death indexes and dumping them in to random cemeteries. They do this to get around the how to add a memorial when burial is unknown...That rule requires you to update to known burial status within 30 days. This lady admitted to hiding her memorial in a wrong cemetery for 2 /2 years. Anything to build those numbers. So she told me she would delete then moved it to the correct cemetery and reported mine as a dupe never contacting me. mine deleted by date.

***** Punishment for creating a memorial and photographing the grave in the correct cemetery************************************ *****

We may remove the memorial for Stephen Jewett from Find A Grave, but then you will not be able to create another one.

@PissedConsumer546708

These admins sure dont stay around long???

They either hate their job or they are "banned" just like the people who provide info to this site. Everybody is used.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE LAUGHS...YOU JUST KEEP MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF...HEHE

FIND A GRAVE "SO CALLED" FAQ'S: "Any contributor can upload an appropriate photo to any memorial regardless of who manages the page. No permission from the memorial manager is needed."-Find A Grave FAQ's

THAT F.A.G.FAQ IS A COMPLETE & UTTER LIE TOO!!! JUST LIKE EVERYTHING "READ THE FAQ'S" COMMENTS.

find a grave so called faq's only apply to some members...see dennis deel's copyrighted photos added...see valencia that has no cemetery location for the majority of her memorials also note that she does not allow grave stone photos added; even when they are added per volunteer photo request. THE FACT IS FIND A GRAVE IS STEALING FROM OBITUARIES THAT FAMILY PAYS FOR AND PROFITING FROM GRAVESTONES THAT FAMILY PAYS FOR! FIND A GRAVE PROVIDES NO WORTHY SERVICES BUT PROFITS FROM THE DEATHS OF OTHERS!

Jim Tipton knows what is going on he puts the cockroaches in place...

View more comments (14)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Find A Grave Forum
I was recently doing some research on my deceased father and found a picture of his headstone and his information on this site, Findagrave.com. After doing more research and looking into it, I realized that the person who posted it and made a "memorial" for my father...

I joined the website because I was looking for my relatives that passed away. Some of them I didn't know where they were buried before I joined.

Now, I know where most of them are, even my ancestors. It started out as one thing and now I help others find their relatives and ancestors. As for the ads, it's how websites make money. It has nothing to do with your family or staining your family's name.

I also make no money on the memorials I have added or manage. I would turn it down if I was offered. Most of the members are on the website because they love history, including myself. If a person wants a profile I manage because they are related to that said person.

I have no issue handing it over to them. People have done the same for me. That being said, there are a few on the website who don't care for history and have no respect for the goals of the website of helping others and preserving history. It is a numbers game to them and they should be banned immediately!

One idiot you ran into shouldn't sully the websites good nature. Email the admins and tell them that this person has false information and that you want it changed.

There is no reason why it should be deleted because you don't care for preserving history. Stop being selfish.

San Antonio, Texas

Find A Grave - Forum Corpse Horders at it Again

Some unfortunate newbie unknowingly threw up the Bat Signal when she asked a simple question in the Help Forum. As usual the same Flying Monkeys swarmed her with the usual arrogant, nasty answers. They succeeded in driving her off the boards but then a few pages later 2 more unsuspecting newbies made statements/asked questions. Wait for it...wait...in 5,4,3,2,1 and cue the Flying Monkeys. The same people are back quoting FAQs, jumping around with their skirts over their heads trying to get attention from JIM TIPTON and the admins. "Look at me, look at me! I know the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary reason for Find A Grave! I obviously have a lot of time on my hands because I add thousands of Memorials, make me an Admin toooooo!!" It is actually hilarious to watch them try to outdo each other. These Hoarders (see Flying Monkeys) constantly whip themselves into a frenzy, usually it is kick started by someone mentioning that some people are "in it for the numbers ", Bat Signal goes up. From there the Hoarders steer the discussion to how virtually everyone (except them of course) on FindAGrave is there to fill in their family tree or somehow try and beat the system (Eye Roll). They go on for pages about the Photo thieves (don't post them if you don't want anyone taking them duh) , "Ploppers", "The Gimme Grabbers" "Dupers" "Name Collectors" and on and on…and on…and on but do not call THEM Hoarders. They are NOT Hoarders, oh no siree, they are simply adding data to a Grave Registration site because that's how JIM TIPTON (say his name with reverence, like they do, cause, ya know, you just never know when he could single you out and reward you with the coveted admin position but I digress…) intended the site to be when he first created it. (Viagra was intended to be a High Blood Pressure med, but I am fairly certain the primary reason has been superseded by the Secondary and Tertiary reasons, wouldn't you agree?) Maybe one of the Hoarders can plead with JIM TIPTON to disable pictures, linking and biographical information for each memorial since that is what is drawing the Game Grabbers, well I'm pretty sure they think of themselves as family or the very least descendants, but the Horders view them as thieves, just trying to steal one of their precious numbers….or photos. The Hoarders must be exhausted, constantly on the watch for anyone who might try to mess with their Hoard. If they weren't Hoarders they would always transfer to a family member "outside of guidelines" and if the original memorial was deleted after the transfer and resubmitted by said family member just to screw them out of the credit, so what? Apparently this happens to them ALL THE TIME. The idea is to register the grave right? It shouldn't matter who gets the credit. Apparently, it does because the Hoarders spend hours in the Forums seeking validation from each other by discussing ad nauseum the people who "won't take no for an answer" and "refuse to play by the rules". Their obsession with those who "refuse to play by the rules" is particularly ironic since not long ago there was a thread about certain cemeteries that will not allow pictures of headstones to be taken. Apparently the Hoarders are not going to "take no for an answer" they all went on about the clever ways to take pictures without the staff catching you, hilarity ensued when they took turns describing how sneaky they were in getting the picture of said head stone, good times. Fortunately the Hoarders have a double standard for themselves, they "refused to play by the rules" of the cemetery and were able to jack up their photo numbers too. Say it with me …H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y
Queena

Totally agree. They're like the republicans of Find A Grave.

A lot of those members are a pathetic lot. Jim Tipton must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I did not know how upset people were getting about me using different names on this website. I assumed because the site tracks the town and state people would be able to identify my posts.

In July something was wacky with the site.All my posts are listed under Madison Wisconsin from July 1, 2012 to July 27,2012 On July 28 it changes to Minneapolis, Minnesota. I will now stick to using one name to help you all out but if I forget remember all of July Madison WS and Minneapolis Minnesota to date.

PS Its not very nice to call people corpse hoarders and flying monkeys :sigh

Hmmm.... Anita Bracken uses names like this: flying monkeys, cronies, corpse hoarders..so isn't that the kettle calling the pot black??

I found your blog and all though you claim anita bracken uses these terms I can not help but point out that there is no reference of her using them?

I see here that you created them.

you are using them. Do you have something going on that causes you to project your own behavior on to someone else and claim it to be repulsive.

Miss Kitty, (is that an homage to your 19 cats?) Little tin cup.....Oooooo good one, you really put me my place. I guess you have the last word on this, I simply cannot compete with your edgy wit.

Now that you have set us all straight you job here is done. Get off the computer for 10 minutes, go outside, breathe the fresh air, feel the sun on your face. You remember the sun right?

Pssssst, I'm a girl.

Kitty S

@ TheyWalkAmongUs you're right they do and you're one of them...Now be a good boy and hold your little tin cup out and I'll put some pennies in it for you!! :)

Kitty S

Aww gee...Listen to the whiners want some cheese with that whine? Sounds to me you(Koda and theywalk) have a serious problem...You know gimme gimme gimme then when you don't get your way you come here and whine and cry about it...Oh boo hoo poor poor you! Grow up!!

Bill

Oh and I failed to mention - that was done without a word to me. I didn't know it had taken place until I DISCOVERED it.

Bill

I only wish they WOULD "ban" me. They took my $15.00 for sponsorship of 3 memorials I created then gave them to a "HOARDER" because he wanted them for his "Cemetery Collection".

Those 3 were direct Ancestors of MINE. So now it looks as though I'm "sponsoring" (at $5.00 each) 3 memorials that it now LOOKS as though I didn't create.

Hypocrites?

Ha! Try THIEVES.

@Kenny D.

From reading your comment below it is apparent that English is a second language. Just wanted to let you know that A LOT is two words.

[B]Richard Pea[/B] :cry I think you are leave alot out that you created duplicate memorials and your were warned, but you kept on pushing the issue, that is why you were ban, so stop sling false information. :x

View more comments (22)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Find A Grave Forum
I have been a member of findagrave for over a year. I never put up any photos of other families' headstones, only those related to me. I volunteered to take photos for others when I could. When I wanted to add a memorial for my great uncle, a WWII vet, I found...

Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Newark, New Jersey

Find A Grave - FindAGrave Admins Are Rude

I have been a member of FindAGrave for a few years and have had my fill of the rude admins. they have running their site. After reading a "help" forum, I was so irritated, I decided to end my membership. This comment wasn't even directed towards me, but this unprofessionalism is the norm, rather than the exception. Actually, there are two admins that are rude all the time. One being counted58x. Below is how she responded to someone's question in the forums. She is an absolute "B"! Why would anyone want to put up with these people? Originally Posted By: ludlowbay With regard to recent forum conversations concerning headstone cleaning do's & don'ts, I would still like clarification about the punishments that are repeatedly mentioned for failure to comply. I am NOT advocating any challenges to the discussion of proper cleaning methods, or the Find A Grave system in general. I find only one mention of suspension in all of the FAQs, and that is in regard to charging money for taking photos. I find zero mentions of banned or time out. If another member speaks in the forum, purportedly on behalf of Find A Grave and says "you can be given a time-out or permanently banned", I want to know where I can find the official version of that statement. HER RESPONSE (counted58x): My goodness. You do have trouble taking a hint, don't you? We completely rewrote the FAQ last year and made them much more exhaustive. Do we need to spell out every little thing? Don't chalk. Don't touch a stone that doesn't belong to you. Don't worry about consequences unless you do things we've told you not to do. That should be sufficient for adults to understand.
Alana M

That "member" is Tipton's wife. She's the biggest B of them all!

#620948

Jim Tipton is ***.

All the pitiful little maggots that he lets drive the sight are on the same level as Tipton; ***. They're pathetic little vermin with no significant lives of their own.

I removed all of my additions/submissions to the site and denounce anything and everything that Jim Tipton and his pathetic little minions stand for.

@PissedConsumer620948

HERE HERE! Very well said! Concise, accurate and to the point!

@PissedConsumer548303

And me? I guess I must be from Englewood, Colorado. That what the post says :zzz

Seems that administrator the one that wears the red lamp shade to cover her devil eyes who also wants what she refers to as pests to play in a microwave loves to suspend members account...it speaks volumes of her evil character.

Anita
#519882

I think you get what you pay for :grin and since tipton does not have to pay them they are just volunteers dealing or rather not dealing with issues in their spare time. Their only ability is to ban people when people get upset that they don't follow the rules and are bias in their application of said rules or ignore them all together my 1st ever encounter was with Julie who deleted my memorial and replaced it with one her mom made from a death index and added it to a random cemetery.

Then Julie duped the memorial deleted the 2 photos of the headstone and place a new photo request I was like OMG seariously abusing a volunteer system because you dont want me to own my own memorial !! sick

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT (counted58x)

View more comments (7)
Peoria, Illinois

Find A Grave - Unprofessional Admins. on FindAGrave

I have been a member of FindAGrave for a while now and have seen almost everything imaginable. What really upsets me is the way a couple of the admins. talk to members. There is one broad, countedx58 who is probably the worst. Below is a comment she made earlier (she quoted another individual and then added her two cents). Very, very unprofessional!!!! Originally Posted By: ludlowbay With regard to recent forum conversations concerning headstone cleaning do's & don'ts, I would still like clarification about the punishments that are repeatedly mentioned for failure to comply. I am NOT advocating any challenges to the discussion of proper cleaning methods, or the Find A Grave system in general. I find only one mention of suspension in all of the FAQs, and that is in regard to charging money for taking photos. I find zero mentions of banned or time out. If another member speaks in the forum, purportedly on behalf of Find A Grave and says "you can be given a time-out or permanently banned", I want to know where I can find the official version of that statement. HER REPLY: My goodness. You do have trouble taking a hint, don't you? We completely rewrote the FAQ last year and made them much more exhaustive. Do we need to spell out every little thing? Don't chalk. Don't touch a stone that doesn't belong to you. Don't worry about consequences unless you do things we've told you not to do. That should be sufficient for adults to understand.

What is wrong with someone taking photos at a national cemetery if national cemeteries are sending the information to FG to make the memorials in the first place? Your condemning her for doing what she's doing when the cemeteries are the ones sending in the info? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

LKat has been reported to FSH and they have assured me that only family can give permission for a gravestone to be photographed. In fact there was a local story about the ongoing problem with f.a.g.

members violating cemetery policies not just a the national cemeteries but local private cemeteries. They are onto these vultures that are helping jim tipton profiting from gravestones in their cemeteries. The local news even had a video from a family member that recorded LKat going down the row taking pictures of gravestones at the national cemetery and the administration was appalled. They have her licensed plate number and have informed the workers if they see her to contact the office and they will have the police serve her with trespassing after she has been warned.

Good riddance no more vultures at FSH! She will also be ticketed for not have a licensed plate on the front of her car...she doesn't like to obey Texas laws typical f.a.g.

vampire. lmao, you could use to lose weight and not just off you as..s.

We are aware of L. Kathleen Caldwell and have advised her that she/he is not authorized to photograph gravestones, graves or temporary markers unless they are her immediate family.

We are trying to get a handle on people that are violating cemetery policies.

Please inform our administration if you witness anyone taking photographs at the cemetery.

@PissedConsumer641851

Wow, I love how you tried to make this look like it is 'officially' coming from Fort Sam Houston Cemetery. Yes, this is exactly the forum in which they would respond. It is not illegal to take pictures at a government cemetery.

@PissedConsumer645359

Can I assume LMAO, based on your use of sarcasm that you are a active member of findagrave. I do thank you you for the comment because it will help new users understand what kind of people are using the site and that they will have to interact with them.

If anyone wants to use an abuse free website try billion graves its amazing you can upload personal photos and bios for each person and the process is less time consuming and less expensive. The owners are in the billion graves face book group and are happy to help you solve a problem by actually responding.

@PissedConsumer641851

Applause!

FIND A GRAVE MEMBER LKAT IS NOTHING BUT A FILTHY VULTURE, SHE STANDS ON FRESHLY BURIED VETERANS GRAVES (BURIED THAT DAY) @ FORT SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL CEMETERY. I HAVE WITNESSED HER FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS STANDING ON FRESHLY BURIED VETERANS GRAVES & THEIR SPOUSES GRAVES TAKING PICTURES OF THE TEMPORARY MARKERS SO SHE CAN RUN HOME AND CREATE A MEMORIAL.

MY GRANDFATHER WAS BURIED THERE 2 YEARS AGO AND I SAW HER BEING A VULTURE AND ASK WHO SHE WAS AND WHAT SHE WAS DOING...TURNS OUT SHE IS A FIND A GRAVE VULTURE!

FEEDING OFF THE DEATHS OF VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILY

@PissedConsumer546940

She has been reported to the cemetery administration. Hopefully she will be banned from the grounds. I was assured that what she is doing is not only illegal but will not be tolerated.

Anita

They work for free that is what qualifies them Tipton likely retains 100% profit and gets everyone to work for free Proof administrators cannot handle the job they fill can be seen with the hundreds of people they ban

View more comments (21)