Find A Grave - Incorrect Information and NO Permission to post pictures!

By accident, while doing research, I found a picture of my Father’s headstone and incorrect information on their website. I have advised them to correct it but, in all honesty, my Father was American Indian and VERY private. He would roll over in his grave if he knew there was a picture of his grave/headstone on the internet! I want this removed!

You should contact the manager of the memorial at Findagrave if you want it removed. That is generally the person who created the memorial but not always.

Sometimes memorials are transferred to descendants or to Findagrave administration. It sometimes helps to ask nicely and explain the situation instead of making demands.

Find A Grave - Ethel Kinkade

I noticed that you have allowed a Simner (person's name) to put false items on your website. It really bothers me, as I am a grandaughter of the person who passed. : ( He has her name spelled wrong and the info that she only had one grandchild is wrong! I so wish you would check on information before allowing someone to post it. The person who died was Ethel Kinkade not Kincade. In Galesburg, Il If this person would like to talk to me to confirm this, I would be more then happy to share with the, I have my grandmother's death certificate. Please please, you as a Big company, confirm items Before they are posted. I know it would be a lot of work, but what a blessing to have correct information for people. Thank you, Debra Kinkade Craig 702-327-****

Contact the person who created the memorial. Coming here and inviting that person to talk and posting your phone number won't do anything to resolve the problem.

Find a Grave is a collaborative site. You can submit these corrections to the contributor who created the memorial, or request that the memorial be transferred to you for management.

A grandparent would be a required transfer under the guidelines. There is no way that the Find A Grave curators could review memorials before they are posted; but errors can be corrected.

Merced, California
Bad quality
Recently I have been working on my family's genealogy and noticed that it will say that the person in question isn't buried there. This occurred when I checked a relative that I knew was buried there. My question is if there's no memorial on a grave, does Find A Grave...

No. People that run Findagrave don't know where your relatives are buried unless a memorial has been created.

All they do is administer the site. Individual members created memorials and add to a cemetery listing.

They can be based off of tombstone photos, obituaries, newspaper articles, death certificates and funeral home records. Hope that answers your question.

Fleming Island, Florida
Bad quality
Find a Grave has allowed my ancestors to be kidnapped and have posted false cemetery details. They need to be more careful and ONLY post memorials that have PROOF of descendancy from the ancestor..

Find A Grave is a collaborative website where anyone can post final disposition information. That means your neighbor can go to the local cemetery and photograph every marker, then create memorials for them (if there isn't a memorial for them already).

That's what Find A Grave wants everyone to do. Members are not limited to doing just their relatives or direct ancestors.

View more comments
Clearwater, Florida
Not as described/ advertised

Find A Grave - Added Insult To Injury

2.8
I was curious, and I wanted to learn more about My Grandmother, Tancy Lauren Argo Lecroy. So I came across Her Memorial listing, which is controled, and maintained by OkieBran, who does not want to be contacted by anyone. There is a lot of missing information about My grandmother, and My family. Knowing the truth, knowing who My family members are, and knowing the horrible way My Grandmother died, with My Mother helplessly watching Her flesh and blood die, the actions of OkieBran upsets Me, with disrespect, and makes Me sick to My stomach, I want to puke and throw up My guts until I puke blood. If anyone can get OkieBran to respect the living family members, please e-mail me, mlouque6@***.com, and I will contact You further from there, Thanks, Michael Louque.
Blimie

So confused here... First, you wanted to learn more about your grandmother so you found her memorial on Find A Grave.

Then you say there was missing information from the memorial and you're sickened by the disrespect of the member who added it.

Because it didn't have the horrible way your grandmother died? Or because you wanted the memorial to include the horrible details?

How would anyone here know how to get a hold of Findagrave member OakieBran? Maybe you should be thankful to OakieBran for taking the time to make a memorial to your deceased relative instead of puking your guts up until you bleed because the memorial doesn't have the information you think is vital.

If you've joined the site, you can submit the info to the memorial yourself by clicking the "Suggest Edits" button. Every contributor who manages at least one memorial can be contacted via this method: Click the "Suggest Edits" button; scroll down the page to the "Suggest other corrections" button.

Click it. Type your message in the text box.

Mark the box to send yourself a copy. Click the "Send Message" button.

View more comments (2)
San Mateo, California

Find A Grave - Access to over 10,000 memorials removed

Two cousin relatives lied and conspired to have my account access removed, and a good deal of the information changed. Findagrave have removed the grave pictures but have not removed the personal pictures of the deceased, and/or the actual file removed stating that "research" on those files will remain - well that does not hold water with me - accusing me of fraud, then refusing to remove files that I created!! I want every single file that I created removed - period!! I also want incorrect files removed - starting with my paternal great grandfather that one of those cousins has been told MANY times that he died the same year as my ggrandmother - NOT ten years later. A good deal of those files were contributed by me, now they don't even look the same. Also, I need access to update some of those memorials.

Have you written to Find A Grave? This site (Pissed Consumer) can't help you.

Nanaimo, British Columbia

Find A Grave - Beware a company with no morals for your family history

I have found this site to be very very poor, I had created an account and memorials for loved ones I wished remembered. After a while, behaviour from members on the site concerned me, as some members were at times rude or aggressive towards me and each other. I decided to remove my memorials and account which I proceeded to do and be done with the site. Only to discover to my horror, Find a Grave had re-instated some of my memorials and given their ownership to complete strangers who had been rude / aggressive towards me but kept my bio's AND photographs. I have contacted the site multiple times and been ignored, I think its time Google stopped endorsing them on searched and the government in their native US took some action; against this madness. I am horrified and hurt my memorials were not able to be permanently deleted at my request but could be re-instated after being removed at the request of online trolls, who did not even know them. Utterly appalling so do not let this happen to you or waste your time on this site!

It sounds like your memorials were duplicates (which aren't allowed).

@PissedConsumer1611699

The duplicate thing is very dishonest as some there do spread sheets with no info connected to the memorial sheets AND these vultures with spread sheets wait around for some family member to diligently do the work for their genealogy research and then these lowlives have the idiotic behavior to yell duplicate just so they can confiscate a memorial for their numbers from the hard worker bee.

Portsmouth, England
Preferred solution
Remove my family memorials as I wished permanently!

Find A Grave - Upset mother

I was notified that my childs gravesite was on findagrave. It is. I nor any other member of my family ever gave permission for photos to be taken. These are close up photos taken from someone standing at the headstone. This is a church graveyard. Ask for permission, people. You wouldnt get it.

I have found it very helpful that people, volunteers no less, would take their time to go to a cemetery and take pictures of headstones there. This is genealogy people.

Maybe someone is looking for that person. Chill out.

@PissedConsumer1580542

ONLY morbid people with warped minds hang around in cemeteries. You guys all need to seek some serious emotional help!

Chill out? The dead seem to do that just fine.

Zachary2001
@PissedConsumer1581728

The people who wish to hang out at cemeteries are usually those that want to pay respect to their loved ones . Your comment is insensitive. I bet you are one of those that dig up graves for fun.

@Zachary2001

Exploiting information from headstones, and without the consent of family members is not paying respect. It is *** and wrong!

You stalking fools need to get out and stay out of of the cemeteries.

Perhaps worry just a bit more about your own dead! AND Leave the rest alone!

People really have no clue how this stuff works. No one needs to ask permission. Family or not, you do not get to tell others what they can and cannot do on property that does not belong to you.

@PissedConsumer1580195

YA! people can do whatever they want.

BLAH BLAH BLAH! Who needs rules!

We are just another brick in the old graveyard! Leave those graves alone!

@PissedConsumer1581126

People need to show some respect and leave other peoples graves alone . If they are not your family , I agree people have no business nosen around . There is a simple thing to remember, you did not know the deceased and they did not know you so back off !!

@PissedConsumer1580195

Did you buy all the grave plots in every cemetery, which also gives you all rights to nose around and tromp around on all family paid for graves and then exploit everyones information ?

is the cemetery open for public visitation (anyone, regardless of relationship)? does it have a "no photographs" policy and signage so visitors know?

i think if the grave is viewable to the public, it can be photographed unless there is signage to make people aware of that rule. otherwise, how would they know?

@PissedConsumer1576564

Perhaps the deceased would also like some respect for their graves.People need to show more empathy for each other. Somethings are sacred to our families.

View more comments (18)
Cleveland, Tennessee
2.0
Find A Grave - My Grandparents and Photos
A person visiting my home took a picture of my grandfather out of an album without my knowledge and posted it to his grave memorial. The memorial by someone I don't know, full of wrong information. The head stone are full of mud I think was smeared on to get a picture....
Alto

My suggestion would be for you to visit their graves, wash and clean the stones and take some good, high quality photos. Then upload them to the memorials.

View more comments
problem being ignored
Let the company propose a solution

Find A Grave - Yes no yes no ???????????????

I have a BIG question to ask. My direct line to me of members buried here. Member of Find-A-Grave, has taken so many pictures of their stone's and will not transfer them to me. I have some of my own recorded before she posted the ones I did not yet record. She was at another cemetery, And posted an ugly, ugly marker on my mother's page I created for her. I am very frustrated with this person beyond myself. Cannot leave a message on her page, only by editing, which was August 6, 2018. However, she sent me one asking to correct a date two weeks later. Though my e-mail. Well, folks what do you have any idea's. P.S. Am not into numbers, She has over 11,000 in a year in half times. That is fine.

So you know they are a reason why its not been transfered. Lost the memorial now tried to get it under another name right or not.

When you here someone say fag will not transfer someone mother you know that's a crock of ----U have got to be the one with 4 accounts You got what you been giving your big bear is not able to reinstate all your accounts So Live to make another account

@PissedConsumer1556996

Some of the flower nuts there have as many as 6 to 7 accounts I have heard and just another way to add more silly flowers to their family memorials for Huge Numbers, and also is a good way for them to harass members they feel might threaten their flower numbers. These quacks are very devious, love to gossip and cause problems!

@PissedConsumer1559126

They do not have family who likes to hangout with them. They are feeble minded, eccentric and very bored. The dead is much more exciting for these wanna be corpses!

@PissedConsumer1559126

Too much drama there.

What kind of comment is that? Transfer guidelines..????

the memorial is of this persons mother! For god sakes! Why hasnt this memorial been transfered to them???

This website is so disheartening!! There us no respect or concern for family members of the deceased!!

@PissedConsumer1555377

Family or not, there are rules in place for requesting transfers. People who do not follow them have no right to complain.

@PissedConsumer1555536

Do you have pool rules, cat and dog rules and what not rules?

@PissedConsumer1555536

Are you one of those women who wears a ball cap and talks in a low deep voice to get the point and rules across to everyone?

View more comments (22)
TRanfer memorials

Find A Grave - Who Changed My Mother's Memorial and Why?

Several months ago I was looking at the memorials I had added in Find A Grave and noticed some of them were missing, including MY MOTHER'S! I did find it, because I had included photos that no one else would have had. But several things had been changed, including the written part of the memorial itself. Mistakes were introduced and someone else's name was there as the contributor. I complained to Find A Grave and got a confusing reply about two sites had been merged, etc., resulting in the mess. They urged me to contact the person who was listed as the "owner" of the memorial. I did so, and got an angry answer from a woman who said she didn't know what I was talking about. Now what?

Before creating the memorial for your mother, did you search for her name? If there was already a memorial for her, yours was a duplicate.

Find A Grave only allows one memorial for each person. Anyone can report a duplicate to the administration for merging of the newer memorial into the first correctly located memorial (the original). Merges preserve all the additions (flowers and photos) from both memorials. Biographical information from the duplicate is retained provided the original memorial does not contain a bio.

When merges are made by administration, neither memorial manager is contacted. Perhaps the memorial manager reacted in kind to the message from you?

@PissedConsumer1551434

I doubt that I would have searched for her memorial that soon after her death, having no reason to think there might be one. Yet someone could possibly have seen her death notice and posted a memorial without my knowledge.

I see that information that was "merged" at some point into the one I created was taken directly from an obituary referencing the upcoming funeral. Do some people have nothing better to do than read the obituaries and then create memorials for people they don't know?

@PissedConsumer1551598

It may be that the obit mentioned where the interment was due to take place, as they often (but not always) do. As long as whoever created the original memorial at Find A Grave had a legitimate location, it was acceptable by the site's rules.

The speed at which newer memorials get created has been a thorny issue for many years. Even users of long standing have rushed from their relative's deathbed to the computer, trying to head off the inevitable obituary posters and get management of the memorial.

So far there has been no progress towards an equitable solution. I feel sorry for the people who come across Find A Grave in this manner.

@PissedConsumer1551866

@Some folks care: the site HAS created an equitable solution. Everyone is treating exactly the same.

There is no waiting period so each person follows their own conscience on when to create the memorial for a recently deceased person. If someone else creates a memorial for your great grandparent, grandparent, parent, sibling, child, grandchild or great grandchild, the memorial creator is required to transfer it to you upon request.

@PissedConsumer1551866

@DareGreatly - No, in fact they haven't "created an equitable solution." If they had, every other complaint wouldn't be about virtually the same thing. Some people have no conscience, tact or discretion, and apparently a stastically large percentage of them create memorials at this website.

@PissedConsumer1553371

@somefolkscare, yes, it is equitable - everyone is treated the same (equal) and there is NO waiting period for anyone.You follow your conscience regarding "when" to create a memorial and the next person follows theirs. Just because they haven't done what YOU want, doesn't mean their solution isn't equitable.

But here's a solution for you: create your own website where YOU and you alone get to make the rules.

If you don't / won't do that, then you need to accept Find A Grave for what it is rather than what you think it should be and stop with the hyperbole ("every other complaint wouldn't be about virtually the same thing"). There are thousands of memorials created every day but only a miniscule fraction of 1% are complained about being "too soon" or "by a non-family member".

#1552034
@PissedConsumer1551598

I agree. People who create a memorial before a person is even buried and steal someones copyrighted information from a newspaper, are nothing but low life heathens in my opinion . :(

@PissedConsumer1551598

If you didn't search, for whatever reason, you can't say yours wasn't a duplicate.

@PissedConsumer1551598

SqueakyFrog797, I dont' know how long you've been a member of Find A Grave, but the old FAQ had a section on creating memorials. It said "Search first".

It didn't say "Search first, unless it is your family member" or "Search first, unless you just don't have time or think no one else would have created a memorial for the person." Nope, it said "search first". Had you done so, you would have seen the other memorial and, hopefully, wouldn't have duplicated.

@PissedConsumer1551598

I had an issue 2 days after my Mom passed away. I went on to make a Memorial and found a person had already done it.

In fact they claimed it the day we were burying my Mom. I was outraged at the fact that they posted the Obituary that I wrote and the picture of my Mom that I took. I contacted the person and they “transferred” it to me. But their name was still associated with it.

My Dad just passed a few weeks ago and guess what?, that same person has claimed my Dads Memorial. I’m so furious. I contacted them again, didn’t hear back until I made a Memorial for my Dad and posted his Obit and pictures. I was told to delete my Memorial and post to the one they made and that they transferred it to me.

But this persons name is still listed as “Originated by”.

I want their name completely off my parents Memorials. There should a waiting period before STRANGERS claim a Memorial.

View more comments (9)
Let down and hurt.
Preferred solution
Find A Grave should fix the errors and restore my memorials as they were.

Find A Grave - Incorrect information & not able to let manager know of the problems

My great grandmother is listed as being in the Asher Cemetery,l Phelps Co Mo. I have been doing this research and had the sister-in-law to Alice give me information on Alice then I verified it with newspapers, county records, family records. Problems with the entry for Alice: Parents are wrong siblings not complete Also, Alice died on the opposite side of Phelps County, on the Phelps Co line never lived near Asher Cemetery. I wanted to give this information to Kim Parker, manager, but was not able to register to do so. Can you have her contact me so we can work to fix this situation? Jean Burger jimburger43@***.com

You fail to indicate what happens when you try to register on the site.

@PissedConsumer1542297

The simple answer is: no. You are at a website called Pissed Consumer, so you are not at Findagrave.

There are probably a billion places you can post this problem, but only one of them can help you. Guess which one.

Find A Grave - Account Closed without warning

A cousin sent FAG a snippet of an email that I had sent her, regarding the fact that she was taking information directly from Canadian Headstones. When I realized what she was doing, I sent her an email stating "you forget that I live 5 minutes from Nanaimo Municipal" She knew very well that was not a threat - it was/is a fact. She knew that my husband and I were digitally recording this cemetery. Apparently she took this as a threat, or told FAG via the snippet that she felt threatened. She lives in Calgary, so it is pretty obvious what was what. She did this same type of stealing for any cemetery she found I was documenting. Her goal - was to stop FAG from controlling any of my contributions in the event of my demise. It's just insane what this woman did to me. I chose to have FAG manage the memorials in the event I am no longer able to take care of them. Unfortunately I had not informed them yet. She had been in touch with me much prior to all of this - requesting that I give her control of all of the family memorials I had recorded, and I did. For personal reasons, I discontinued my relationship when I realized her hatred of alcoholics. My son was an alcoholic, he died in 2011 - and I feared her wrath on his and other memorials. She had promised me that at any time she would return control of the memorials that I initiated, but instead when I did request the return, she spread them around to others, most of whom I have never heard of. I would simply like to be able to correctly update the memorials that I created, that now have errors because of changes made. I'm 80 years old. In excellent health. Recorded fully Nanaimo Municipal Cemetery, with over 10,000 stone pictures there, that will now be unavailable to relatives and friends. FAG simply have no understanding of what happened, they have simply cut me off, and his women is getting away with it! FAG did eventually come up with their reasons, saying I had done everything under the sun wrong, also accusing me of fraud. I demanded all of the stone pictures I had submitted be removed. They did not comply with my request of a total take down of all of my submissions, which is interesting because the reason they gave was that they were needed for research !! S. Lynne Bartram Smith (aka Amanda on FAG)

I think you should have all your memorials. I as well have come across one exceedingly mean woman there just as you have.

I have no idea where, or what dark {{Redacted}} hole some of these {{Redacted}} people crawl out of. KINDA SCAREY ATTITUDES ! There is absolutely no reason for any of these hoarders to act so childish and have a temper tantrum.

It is so weird! Good luck getting your memorials back :)

@PissedConsumer1528092

I JUST HOPE THEY KEEP THE OLD WEBSITE UP! WE DO NOT LIKE THE NEW WEBSITE WHAT-SO-EVER!

Find A Grave Genealogy Record
Cons
  • Posting of incorrect information
  • Gestapo management techniques
  • Accessability
Let the company propose a solution

Find A Grave - Banned 4 life for simply expressing my dissatisfaction

I submitted a few famous memorials, some with pictures, some with full burial information. I would say that I've submitted 15 or so famous memorials and they approved almost half. Some are no longer shown, those that are still up they have denied me credit, removed pictures I submitted and replaced them with photos submitted by some of their "top contributors". When I complained I always got a rude response and it usually ended this way: we're not a public site, we have the last word and what we say goes. Fair enough, however encouraging people to submit memorials only to refuse good solid submissions (and then submit them on their own) denying credit, swapping photos and bio info is disrespectful and bad business. I was so frustrated with Find A Grave's behavior that I changed my sign-in name to "Not A Top Contributor" and for doing so they banned me outright. The sad part is I have a PAID memorial to my dog that now only I can see but can no longer access contributor tools. If they don't want me as a member fine but at least have the decency & maturity to grant me access to my paid dog's memorial so I can remove it IF I SO DESIRE. (I mean I paid for it right and this site is supposedly about respecting the dead, right)? There's a small circle of friends who rule that site and if you're not one the top contributors they treat you with profound disrespect. All I ever did to *** them off was to change my to log in name to NOT A TOP CONTRIBUTOR as a way of silent protest and for that without communicating to me I'm banned (for life, 7 maybe 9 years thus far). Talk about thin skin. I guess If your not part of their little inner circle...

DareGreatly WROTE on Sep 02: "You didn't "pay" for the memorial; you merely sponsored it to get the ads removed. When you did that, the page informed you that sponsorships are NON-refundable".

I paid $5.00 to remove and to sponsor my memorial so by right I should have the ability to still access tools to remove it if i so desire even if they banned me for life.

Find A Grave is so disrespectful to the dead and their loved ones. So yes I did pay for the memorial and I should be able to remove it regardless of being banned, such immature snots at Find A Grave.

@PissedConsumer1575818

No, "by right" you have to follow what Find A Grave wants - it's their site, they make the rules. By using the site, you agree to follow their rules.

You didn't follow the rules, so you were banned.

You don't get to demand anything now. The immature snot is the one who cannot accept the consequences of their own behavior.

@PissedConsumer1576624

I get it, it's not a public site and they can ban anyone at any time. However The things I complained about (that they chose to ignore) are legitimate grievances that should have been addressed or at least acknowledged but Find A Grave failed to do so and it makes the site look bad.

Find A Grave is petty, thin skinned and poorly run. Before banning me for life they should have contacted me to find out about my complaint, (and for your information what I was banned for was not (at the time) a written policy violation.

It's not that I broke any rules, they were just not happy with me. Petty and unprofessional way to conduct business.

@PissedConsumer1576624

Wrong, what I was banned for was not (at the time) a written policy violation, so I didn't break any rules. Find A Grave banning me was an arbitrary and capricious act considering that at no time was I contacted to hear my complaint nor did they acknowledge my attempt to contact them.

Find A Grave is petty and unprofessional.

And since I paid for my memorial the least these cretins should do is to allow me to remove it. Find A Grave, horrible people.

You didn't "pay" for the memorial; you merely sponsored it to get the ads removed. When you did that, the page informed you that sponsorships are NON-refundable.

Similar experience. Hard researched, well documented entries that stood for years will be stolen and even credited to others, without warning or explanation. Internet grave robbers, a new breed out of Utah.

@PissedConsumer1542427

I guess Utah owns all the sites! Some big genealogy researching going on there. AND IT'S ALL SEEMS TO BE PART OF THEIR CULTURE THERE.

@PissedConsumer1542427

Utah has some very professional genealogists. Perhaps you need to update and take some collage classes. Good luck .

You make no sense !

@PissedConsumer1542427

Do you have something against UTAH and their genealogists? I have found lots of accurate work coming out of their research there. BTW They are an old breed.

View more comments (11)

Find A Grave - Online obituaries

I have this problem where I live there are 2 local ppl who search obituaries online and in the paper and add them before they even are buried ! I find this disrespectful and wrong! One of them has like 21,000 added memorials but has only taken 300 photos! That’s not in my opinion what this site is supposed to be for!
#1913157

I agree! Many contributors are not related to the deceased and do not even know the family.

I have requested to have my family's memorials transferred to me from a stranger who entered a private cemetery on private property without permission, to get headstone photos. She ignores the request and will not even respond. Find a Grave supported her because my aunts, uncles, and cousins are not within the 4th degree of relationship!

She is a total stranger! I grew up with these people and loved them!

pictures are important

What difference does it make how many photos a member has taken? Member's contribute in many different ways, which is really not any of your business. Apparently you think you are better then them and you would be wrong.As for your opinion, the only one which matters is the one held by FAG.

@PissedConsumer1523726

Is your opinion the only one that matters? People who steal copyrighted material from family obituaries are lower than dog sh-+!!

@PissedConsumer1527991

Cat box material to say the least!

@PissedConsumer1527991

What copyrighted material was stolen? The OP didn't mention any copyright infringement.

View more comments (5)