4.3K views

Find A Grave owner Jim Tipton is a thief he creates a website for members to add burial information thus creating so called "memorials" he uses these memorials for ad space and charges members to sponsor these memorials. He makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from the deaths of others loved ones and provides no service to the survivors.

He and his administration have a set of so called "faq's" that only apply to a few. Find A Grave members constantly steals obituaries, steals photos and information from newspapers, websites and funeral homes. Information provided by the family to the various media with permission for the information to be used only in those media forms NOT Find A Grave.

Find A Grave is notorious for violating copyrights and allowing its members to violate copyrights. Members are out thousands of dollars from their free work so that Jim Tipton can make a profit.

Product or Service Mentioned: Find A Grave Website.

Location: San Antonio, Texas

Comments

123

Contributors are giving him free labor and he's making a profit of the deaths (memorials) of family members.

#2093670

Findagrave support does not attempt to resolve issues and takes the side of the volunteer who has uploaded the most memorials . Volunteers do not care whether or not the information they add is accurate.

To resolve this problem: Charge each volunteer a fee to create a memorial and for each image added. Findagrave is a group of mentally disturbed individuals.

Finding a grave has nothing to do with these volunteers. If those volunteers were physically active, they'd be considered a domestic terrorist group in the united states.

#1934171

Since pictures and such are in the media, they are public...

#1820508

I am so grateful for Find a Grave. Like so many people, my loved ones lived all over this country as well as many other countries around the world.

I'm so blessed to have found this site many years ago and to have seen memorials and grave markers of my family members all over the world that otherwise never would have been made available to many of us. Thank you Find a Grave and all members and of course the Contributors.

I have never been charged for this website. Besides it's a good resource if your doing your family tree research.

I have found many of my ancestors on it which I may have not.

Familysearch.org is how I found out about it. Yes there are some flaws, however a good resource.

maybe a class action suit against findagrave.com will stop them

@ellen s Psh

What would be basis of a class action suit?

@ellen s Psh

How do we go about it? They've stolen or deleted some of my memorials

Let's do it.

stop contributing to this site. they only make money off of all the work you do and then bully you and suspend your account.

@PissedConsumer1687097

I have used and added many memorials over 10 years. Never spent a dime and have used it numerous times. Seems like someone has a bone to pick that has nothing to do with FAG.

@PissedConsumer1687097

That's exactly what they did to me. When I try to resolve the problem, FAG sends messages that they'll fix it.

A month of messages and no fix yet. Check your memorials, they steal your work.

It is not Jim Tipton it's people like Dash She cuts down findagrave on her page the spark is gone why would they leave that for the public to see in her Bio Being she worked for findagrave ,She has no spark , she loves to make fun of members grammar , She should be ashamed she is nasty to members Votes R You can tell ever Curator that votes R She might not work any more for fag but she still has codes to remove graves and she does .If you like Dash family memorial Dash will turn off flower for you turn off accounts and take graves away for you if you are from Ca just send her a message on Facebook is how they was doing it If she stills your email from Facebook to turn off your findagrave report to Facebook. That's what she was doing for Michelle , Michelle left flower after flower when she wanted a member removed Then Dash took them out, Thank God for Tanya Smith she does care for people no matter what some might think , Michelle left on Tayna Smith Unseen ,unheard but left it anonymous on the 15 Tracey Jenn Jena Tayna Christi helps I get it Jim needed Dash Aj to do the Ca grave photos but in 2019 Jim doesn't need The bullying They are to many members willing to to it for free or just for a thanks In 2018 Margo join Ancestry Ancestry owns findagrave Dash bio lost her spark but maybe findagrave lost spark for bullying

@PissedConsumer1639232

Your comment makes no sense whatsoever.

@PissedConsumer1751407

AMEN

I knew that any time, any thing I did on Find A Grave, was free, because I love this site, I love what it does, I love connecting family together. I'm so sorry if I've ever caused pain to a family of a memorial, and I'm also so thankful to help join families together.

No harm or pain is intended to any one.

I've tried to give memorials away so family would have them. My opinion is to just stay away from the forums and moderators, give the precious gift of family as you'd like given to you.

@PissedConsumer1572953

Or we can let everyone decide for themselves when, or even if, to transfer out of guidelines.

It's only going to continue. Nothing has changes since https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2013/10/04/the-find-a-grave-sale/

You have entirely the wrong idea. Our contributing members spend long hours researching grave sites and photographing the gravestones.

Information posted on the memorials usually consists of a photograph of the headstone, The name, date and place of a persons birth, and date and place of their death. Some members comb the local newspapers and post the appropriate obituaries on the memorial. Once posted in a newspaper, and obit becomes a public record. Nearly all newspapers allow free copying of their obits, which are not covered by copyright.

Some members even write biographies for the memorials. None of this is "stolen" from anyone. I think you may be upset that someone created a memorial for your loved ones before you could. The common curtesy in this case is to ask the person who created the memorial to transfer it to you, so you can make changes.

These requests usually result in the transfer. As far as the profit thing, everywhere you go on the internet has ads, which earn small amounts of money for the owner of the page you are on.

Its the internet, get and ad blocker or get over it. Far as I am concerned, this sight more than any other provides valuable data for genealogy research not available elsewhere.

Find A Grave Reviews