San Antonio, Texas
3.3K views

Find A Grave owner Jim Tipton is a thief he creates a website for members to add burial information thus creating so called "memorials" he uses these memorials for ad space and charges members to sponsor these memorials. He makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from the deaths of others loved ones and provides no service to the survivors.

He and his administration have a set of so called "faq's" that only apply to a few. Find A Grave members constantly steals obituaries, steals photos and information from newspapers, websites and funeral homes. Information provided by the family to the various media with permission for the information to be used only in those media forms NOT Find A Grave.

Find A Grave is notorious for violating copyrights and allowing its members to violate copyrights. Members are out thousands of dollars from their free work so that Jim Tipton can make a profit.

Product or Service Mentioned: Find A Grave Website.

Comments

ShortBumblebee420

maybe a class action suit against findagrave.com will stop them

@ShortBumblebee420

What would be basis of a class action suit?

stop contributing to this site. they only make money off of all the work you do and then bully you and suspend your account.

It is not Jim Tipton it's people like Dash She cuts down findagrave on her page the spark is gone why would they leave that for the public to see in her Bio Being she worked for findagrave ,She has no spark , she loves to make fun of members grammar , She should be ashamed she is nasty to members Votes R You can tell ever Curator that votes R She might not work any more for fag but she still has codes to remove graves and she does .If you like Dash family memorial Dash will turn off flower for you turn off accounts and take graves away for you if you are from Ca just send her a message on Facebook is how they was doing it If she stills your email from Facebook to turn off your findagrave report to Facebook. That's what she was doing for Michelle , Michelle left flower after flower when she wanted a member removed Then Dash took them out, Thank God for Tanya Smith she does care for people no matter what some might think , Michelle left on Tayna Smith Unseen ,unheard but left it anonymous on the 15 Tracey Jenn Jena Tayna Christi helps I get it Jim needed Dash Aj to do the Ca grave photos but in 2019 Jim doesn't need The bullying They are to many members willing to to it for free or just for a thanks In 2018 Margo join Ancestry Ancestry owns findagrave Dash bio lost her spark but maybe findagrave lost spark for bullying

@Bee good

Your comment makes no sense whatsoever.

@Anonymous

AMEN

I knew that any time, any thing I did on Find A Grave, was free, because I love this site, I love what it does, I love connecting family together. I'm so sorry if I've ever caused pain to a family of a memorial, and I'm also so thankful to help join families together.

No harm or pain is intended to any one.

I've tried to give memorials away so family would have them. My opinion is to just stay away from the forums and moderators, give the precious gift of family as you'd like given to you.

It's only going to continue. Nothing has changes since https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2013/10/04/the-find-a-grave-sale/

You have entirely the wrong idea. Our contributing members spend long hours researching grave sites and photographing the gravestones.

Information posted on the memorials usually consists of a photograph of the headstone, The name, date and place of a persons birth, and date and place of their death. Some members comb the local newspapers and post the appropriate obituaries on the memorial. Once posted in a newspaper, and obit becomes a public record. Nearly all newspapers allow free copying of their obits, which are not covered by copyright.

Some members even write biographies for the memorials. None of this is "stolen" from anyone. I think you may be upset that someone created a memorial for your loved ones before you could. The common curtesy in this case is to ask the person who created the memorial to transfer it to you, so you can make changes.

These requests usually result in the transfer. As far as the profit thing, everywhere you go on the internet has ads, which earn small amounts of money for the owner of the page you are on.

Its the internet, get and ad blocker or get over it. Far as I am concerned, this sight more than any other provides valuable data for genealogy research not available elsewhere.

DecentCommonFrog
@Frederic R Ross

That is not the point. Okay, guaranteed, there are a lot of people on find a grave that do, do the research, that do go out and take a photo for the family, and that are related to the person on the memorial.

But what about these people who just stick up a memorial without even knowing "Where, How and When" did the person die. *** I had my aunts memorial posted by some guy on Find a grave that I found a couple weeks ago and she's very much "ALIVE" Just because my uncle who passed in 2005 this guy thought my aunt was dead too because her name is on my uncles headstone. On ;her memorial they had her birth but unknown for her death, of course unknown, because she's very much alive!!

When I told this to my aunt, she was upset cause she never gave permission for this stranger to post a memorial on find a grave...And I should also say this guy who posted it, has over 254,000 memorials on Find a grave. Now you tell me that he isn't out for the numbers !!!

@DecentCommonFrog

Did you ask the guy to remove your Aunts memorial or did you just gripe about it? What did he say?

Why don't you just send an email to Find A Grave and tell them she's still alive and to remove it. Voila, done. If you read the FAQ's the address to email is listed. Poof.

No hassle, no problem, no upset Aunt.Most memorials aren't going to list how or why they died, the memorial is about their life. About their job or hobbies. My Dad liked hunting and model trains. I'd rather people read that, than the fact that he gave up on life and died of a heart attack.

At least I know where he's at, people looking for him know where he's at. The fact that I included good information about him instead HOW he died, leaves people with a good feeling. I've read way too many death certificates and believe me, you wouldn't want the cause of death on a lot of them. Did the man put Where, When and How your Uncle died?

Do you want everyone to know how he died? If they aren't family, it's really none of their business.

They don't put HOW in obituaries anymore either.Because the guy has 254,000 memorials does not mean he's in it for the numbers They don't get a prize for the amount they make. It simply means that he enjoys doing this, he gets what the ultimate goal of this site is a graves registration.

@Areyoukiddingme

So very true. It is NOT a #'s game. Adding memorials takes lots of hard work,

@DecentCommonFrog

Are you kin to me?? LOL Same here... My aunt Erma Brooks, still alive and well...

Agreed

#1642036

Very well stated

Just one short visit to the website would have been enough for me to know I don't want any part of it. You should have looked first too.

Find a grave is own by Ancestry.com not Jim. So all money goes to them.

@Anonymous

Ancestry just bought Find A Grave a few years ago. Jim owned it for the first 15 years or so.

How do I get in contact with the website finagrave.com? Because the email that they have on their website noreply@findagrave.com does not work.

I tumbled upon their website and it had my grandmother’s information (Norma C. Jewell). I found it disturbing that I found pictures of my grandmother’s gravesite and a picture of her on your website. By people that are not even relatives.

What gives them the right to post her information on your page without the family’s content. How did they get my grandmother’s information? I would like my grandmother’s information and pictures off of their website.

If anyone could help me in contacting the person in charge of this website I would greatly appreciated. You can email me at lisakean.lk@gmail.com Thank you

@Lisa

Doesn't the "noreply" part of that email give you a hint?