San Antonio, Texas
3.3K views

Find A Grave owner Jim Tipton is a thief he creates a website for members to add burial information thus creating so called "memorials" he uses these memorials for ad space and charges members to sponsor these memorials. He makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from the deaths of others loved ones and provides no service to the survivors.

He and his administration have a set of so called "faq's" that only apply to a few. Find A Grave members constantly steals obituaries, steals photos and information from newspapers, websites and funeral homes. Information provided by the family to the various media with permission for the information to be used only in those media forms NOT Find A Grave.

Find A Grave is notorious for violating copyrights and allowing its members to violate copyrights. Members are out thousands of dollars from their free work so that Jim Tipton can make a profit.

Product or Service Mentioned: Find A Grave Website.

Comments

Your complaint is valid. My nephew was killed at Sandy Hook and someone from the website took his picture and added it to the website without permission from the family.

I tried to contact the member with no response I then contacted the owner of the website via email, message board and his profile and he did not respond, however he took the time to delete my messages.

My brother is still grieving but in time he will file a formal complaint and sue all those using his sons image without permission. Hope the owner of the website has deep pockets because he will be sued for copyrights and for using his sons tragic murder to gain revenue.

My bad I'm an foolish "Old Dude", yes I can see how you are out thousands as well as other members the cost of gas, batteries, electricity, internet service, use of camera, wear and tear on car and tires, while Jim Tipton sits at home collecting over 400,000 dollars a year from others work. Just the advertising alone has made him a millionaire not to mention all the memorials that are created by free labor and sponsored by others.

MemoriesOfMom
@Old Dude

I am in total agreement and wish people would come together and make sure if a member is banned from *** that their work goes with them. He banned them so therefore their work is not important to him, right?

"I agree if a member has their account canceled all the memorials they created should be deleted and all the photos they added should be deleted!

If Jim Tipton fails to delete all contributions, memorials & photos then he is DEFINITELY A THEIF & should be prosecuted & sued. Apologies for my error in judgement."

@MemoriesOfMom

I am STILL waiting, my account is NOT reinstated, all my memorials & photos are still online, NO refund of money I paid for sponsorship of several of my memorials.

There are STILL members that continue to hound me, even though I can't do anything with my account or memorials.

Just a bunch of greedy pigs.

And how do you claim that "Members are out thousands of dollars from their free work?" The members are volunteers, not slaves. Nobody is forcing them to work.

As you said, it is "FREE" work. So, they are not "out" of any money.

So how is Jim Tipton a thief???

According to your own message, he hasn't stolen anything. He merely sells ad space on his website ...

just like 90% of the websites on the interet.

Instead, your message alleges that folks who post on his web page steal obits, etc. Doesn't that make the members theives, rather than Jim Tipton?

@Old Dude

The website has no rules so when members are being banned for the lack of rules and being harassed by others the website destroys years of work.

shewhoshops
@Rules

OKAY FROM THE HUGE AMOUNT OF COMPLAINTS I AM SEEING I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING TROUBLE WITH DIEHARD AKA JACKIE WILSON GODDARD...EMILY E. FARLEY SMITH..KAREN GARVIN OR ANY OF THE OTHER SO-CALLED HITLER FOLKS!!..I WILL LOOK FOR ANOTHER SITE TO POST ON..THKS..JUDY.

@shewhoshops

I went back to using http://www.usgenweb.org/,

http://iagenweb.org/ and iowagravestones.org.

@Old Dude

well, he STOLE my money that I paid for sponsorship of several memorials that I do not have access to

I had all my information, pictures confiscated over the past week by some old snarly bag who has been complaining, whining and nagging to me about how she should have all rights to everything. Talk about ill behavior and no manners.

My personal family photo that I entered on this site has disappeared. It seems this company has a problem with honesty.

hey franco the administration is the problem. if you don't like the site report them to the bbb...which by the way they gave them a F rating .

the fact is most members steal obituaries and photos which is even prohibited in the sites faqs.

I love that members are still giving of their time and photos freely so Jim Tipton can profit from others free labor.....hehe looks like the joke is on the foolish members of the site... while they spend money for gas, batteries, cameras etc.to contribute to the site so jim tipton can pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars every year.

@uck the admin

I just want back on so I can delete all my memorials!!

This is so rediculous...I've been using this site for several years and if you have a privacy issue about sharing pictures or about obituary information copyright issues don't use it. In fact crawl in *** somewhere, this is the information age if an obit is out there already why would it matter if it is on another site or added on to find a grave.

I guess there are people in the world who aren't happy with anything and want to whine about something.....Get over it, stop crying and do something productive....if you're having trouble with someone putting comments on that you don't like contact the admin. if there's no response start a new profile and re-add it.

@Franco

It is true copyrights are continually violated by findagrave members. They constantly copy pictures from obituary notices, websites etc..and post them as "theirs" on the findagrave website. Recently members copied pictures of the victims of Sand Hook and posted them as "theirs" to the fndagrave site and some members sponsored the memorial, helping Jim Tipton to profit from their deaths, and victimizing them and their families for profit.

@Melba

Whiner......Stop with this "Thiers" it's really rediculous I've been on here for years and anytime I've asked someone to turn over a relatives entry they've always been happy to. The overall attitude of the people on this site are here to preserve history, the obits online only stay out there for a limited amount of time I'm glad that someone took the time to put my Father and Mother's information on here and it's what got me started.

This site isn't victimizing and profiting from deaths....give me a break, I get on here for free and my family who I've lost are all on here and it hasn't cost a cent, they're not being exploited on the contrary they're being remembered.

Not everyone has the luxury of mobility and so this site is a wonderful outlet. For gosh sakes stop whining....

@Franco

Franco, Jim Tipton profits on the website so yes they are being exploited and not everyone sees it as honoring a memory but just as many see it as a violation. You do not get to decide for everyone else how they need to feel about it so your opinion is not relevant to others who think it is a stranger invasion on our loved ones.

MemoriesOfMom
@NO Rules

Many loved ones thank the member for creating the memorial for their loved one ... I was personally contacted today by a father that lost his son only 3 weeks ago and he was not upset in the least and had he been I would have immediately DELETED his son's memorial.

My first concern is the person's family.

The obits may very well be an issue but I don't think there is anything wrong with obtaining info from cemeteries and posting what is on the headstone and also ancestry.com has death records, military records, birth records, obituaries but maybe they found a legal way to go about obtaining that information, not sure on that. I just enjoy family research and spend a lot of time on ancestry.com.