Find A Grave - Deleted Family member page Sophia Sevier (Garoutte)

My 4x out Great Grandmother Sophia Sevier (Garoutte) page was deleted. Michael Antonie Garoutte Sr her father was angry at the Seviers over the marriage of John Sevier Jr &; Sophia Sevier (Garoutte). I guess the Garoutte's thought this part of the family died out, nope still going strong with old members and new members. On our family tree write up is the part of the Garouttes up and down the lines of names. I'm a SAR member # 208245, which my descent went through John Sevier Jr & Sophia Sevier (Garoutte). Please advise about my family descent which has been proved. I'm not angry with Find A Grave about this, I have issues with the Garouttes on this issue which happened over 200 years ago. Also Sophia Sevier (Garoutte) is not listed in Michael Sr & Sophia Garoutte (Smith) children list of names.
Auburn, California
make Sophia Sevier (Garoutte) listed on her Garoutte family's page

Find A Grave - Be careful, check your FAG # Carefully!!!!!!!

4.7
Update by user Mar 01

Wrong FAG # for my profile

Original review posted by user Mar 01
My name is John M. Harper. I created an account with my ID# assigned by FAG as 4972****. This was created so I could seek to transfer profiles of my family members to my profile. Your service created this FAG #, but when you pull this number up it brings someone's profile in Connecticut named Sarah Freeman, no relation. Straighten this confusion and change my account setting with the proper FAG #. Associated with email: john.harper.5784@***.com
Find A Grave Profile
Cons
  • Need to have better customer service contact
Loss
Give me the correct FAG #

I need to reset my password for Find A Grave

email address is Jason McDonald 527 @***.com I do not have that email address I want to change email address to jbMcDonald28@***.net
Lake Waccamaw, North Carolina
Find A Grave Profile

Find A Grave - Locked out of finagrave. cant sign in.

I want to reset my password. Have been unable to. My e-mail address is hopewell1956@***.com. Alberta Knotts
Find A Grave Profile
Pros
  • I love to volunteer
  • That they help people out of the kindness off there heart
waiting for password
A relative had a child with a man who has a shady, criminal past and that man is trying to use his child's family's' last name and family to protect him from other criminals by pretending our family is wealthy. He had someone take pictures of our relatives graves with...

Find A Grave - Need photo removed

I am in need of removing a photo. There is a photo for someone on my ancestry that does not belong. Please how do I go about removing this?

I don't think people should be allowed to add pictures to sponsored memorials unless permission has been given to them by person who sponsored or manages the memorial. It takes up space that the sponsoring person has paid for. Kind of rude too, as some add more memorials of the VERY SAME MEMORIAL!!

@PissedConsumer1662538

i agree. I wish some of the people there would leave the site!

Especially the ones who are insanely rude with bitter and horrible attitudes!

These folks seem to let their mental steam off at strangers. They need to get a grip and get back on their meds!

@PissedConsumer1662538

YEP! there are a few adults on that site who act more like juvenile delinquents....Eh, it could be senility!????

Blimie
@PissedConsumer1662538

Find A Grave is a collaborative site. One person adds the memorial.

Another person suggests edits to add the birth and death locations. A third person adds a photo of the grave. A fourth person adds a photo of the person. A fifth person submits a bio.

And so on. Not allowing others to add photos would greatly diminish the collaboration. Also, regular memorials are allowed 20 photos of which any one member can add up to 5.

A sponsored memorial is allowed an addition 10 photos which can only be added by the person who sponsored it. Ergo, photos do NOT "take up space that the sponsoring person has paid for".

View more comments (3)
Cupertino, California
Bad quality

Find A Grave - Re: Member #4722**** posting to my mother's information

5.0
This member, Ken Nagel, copied my mother's obituary from the funeral website (I presume) because he also loaded the picture that I gave the funeral home. He had the picture large, I don't like it and I can not change it because "HE" is the administrator of MY mother's information. I have emailed him but not sure it went thru - have not heard from him. I read in you rules that "No scans of obituaries or newspaper articles" are to be used or "No obituary photographs" and "No photos taken from any websites". He has done all of these. I want his control released from my mother's listing #17469****. I too am a member and use your site while working on my Ancestry entries. To me he is abusing a privilege. I would appreciate help in this matter. Thank you, Judy Peterson

If you had contacted photo@***.com they would have removed the obituary photo very quickly. Problem solved. But for whatever reason you have taken to this site to complain about an issue that could have been easily resolved.

Complaining here won't help you. Contact info@***.com to get help.

Don't trust any Nagel, Naggle or a pre-Nadal. All CHEATS!!!

Report them to the FBI for identity theft.

@PissedConsumer1283761

Identity theft did not occur, you ***!

View more comments (4)
Find A Grave Profile
Pros
  • Ability to search for a gravesite
  • Nice site
  • Photos of grave markers
Cons
  • Posting of incorrect information
Reason of review
Administrator's use of info on site
Control of #174695234 released by Ken Nagel #47221898
Yes, Connie Meeks Duffey is one of the worst!She is extremely rude, yet claims other people are, not her. She will absolutely quickly create a memorial as burial unknown and then move them to cemeteries after someone else does the research or BETTER YET... enters their...

I'm very sorry that you had to deal with Connie Meeks Duffey. She has done the exact same thing with my Mom.

My Mom had not been dead for 2 full days when the funeral home posted her obituary on their website for family and personal friends to view. We were still grieving, trying to make arrangements, trying to call family members, trying to help make arrangements for family to get to town for the service. My sisters live in Texas, so this was on me to do mostly alone. My thought was not, I've got to create a memorial on Find a Grave so a stranger won't do it for me!

We had the memorial service 3 days after Mom died. She was cremated, so her ashes were not ready for burial, this takes a week or more. My sisters had to return to Texas. We have not buried my Mom as of yet.

So we did not want to create the memorial until we have her buried. She will be buried in West Tennessee where my Daddy, sister, and many of our family are buried. The next thing I know, I'm getting a "Hint" on Ancestry.com on my Mom and it's for Find a Grave because this person called "Daddy's Girl" Find a Grave Member ID # 4847****, who I found out is Connie Meeks Duffey, created a memorial for my Mom. This person is a stranger who did not know my Mom, and is definitely not related to us.

Her comment section has been turned off so you can't contact her. And now I know why. She had no email address on her profile, so you can't contact her that way. The only way you could contact her is to go under my Mom's memorial under "Suggest Edits" and then under "Suggest Additional Edits".

I did tell her that I did not appreciate that she created the memorial when we had not had time to grieve and had not even had the service yet. I told her I knew she was trying to help, but that it should have been created by a family member, not a stranger. She sent me a very rude message back saying she didn't break any rules. I once again messaged her through the "Suggest Edits" and "Suggest Additional Edit" and asked her if she would please transfer the memorial, since she was my Mom.

I told her I know she was trying to help, but she would have felt the same way had someone created her dead father's memorial and she had not known them. She has refused to transfer the memorial. I do believe this is a pattern with this woman. I talked with the funeral home whom she stated gave her the information.

The funeral director said this was a lie, and that they never give any information out. The funeral director and I spoke at length and he gave me 2 names of people he knew who had passed away, one was his sister, and she had created her memorial. The other was his friend who was buried at a competitor's funeral home and Connie Meeks Duffey had also created his memorial. We began looking at other funeral homes in the area, and the daily obituaries and for each one, Connie had already created memorials.

These people are not even cold yet and in their graves. The families have not had time to mourn. This is just insensitive. To create memorials and have them floating out there and you have no idea where they are being buried and not have correct information on them is just flat wrong.

But she has made sure she has cut off any way to communicate with her, not only on Find a Grave, because she has gotten so many complaints against her. She truly has upset a lot of people with the way she is treating them. She is insensitive to the fact that these families have not had time to grieve, are still making preparations for their families, and would like the option to be able to create or at least manage their family's memorial. She lacks professionalism and common courtesy.

In my case, since she wouldn't transfer the memorial, I went ahead and created a memorial for my Mom with the correct information on it as to where she will be buried, although she is not yet buried there. I didn't want to do that yet, but she left me no choice. As soon as I created that memorial and had literally just hit post, within minutes, she had linked my Daddy to her memorial, which was not linked to him before. I only know this because I had noticed that he wasn't linked already, and I was going to link him to my Mom's memorial that I created and she had just linked him to her memorial of my Mom's.

It used to be that you had to approve a family member being linked to a memorial that you owned, but this must have changed because I can't unlink her memorial from my Daddy. Also, since I created my Mom's memorial she has gone on my memorial for my Mom and taken some of the information off of there and put it on her memorial, this is information that she did not have before I created my Mom's memorial. I have gone through the steps to correct this situation to the best that I can and according to the policy of Find a Grave. Under Find a Grave FAQ's Section under the question "What if a member will not transfer a relative to me?" "If the memorial in question is a direct relative within four generations (siblings, parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents) to you and the memorial manager is not direct family, then they must transfer the memorial.

If they refuse to transfer the memorial, contact info@***.com and we will work on it for you." I also contacted Find a Grave on Facebook explaining the situation. They told me to contact Find a Grave through their Support email at support@***.com and they would be able to assist me with this problem. I emailed both addresses: info@***.com and support@***.com I will continue to message them until I get this resolved. I must say that my problem is not with the wonderful volunteers who add information, take photos, and who create memorials.

I believe the family should have the option to create their family member's memorial first. They at least need time to bury their family member. And if someone else created their family's memorial, it should be transferred to them. I, myself, have created memorials for people who I do not know when I come across them and realize they are not on Find a Grave because they deserve to be remembered and honored.

But if a family member comes along and wants that memorial, I will transfer it to them with no problem. I have also added memorials from cemeteries that I've photographed. I've sent "Suggested Edits" with information I've found on people who are not family, but I have the resources and documents in front of me to prove the information that I am giving them. I usually try to post this information as a picture on the page.

Anyway, I'm not talking about the people who do these things. The people who do these things are doing it the right way. Honestly, when you have someone who has this many complaints and they've had to shut off their comments because of it, then something is definitely wrong. And the people who are bashing you for making your complaint should just keep quiet.

Until it has happened to them, they don't know what they are talking about. I understand you and there are plenty of others who do as well. These type of people really do need to be stopped because as they say, "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch." You keep your head high. Keep fighting for your family and what you know is right.

As far as family, I know my husband uses my account, so the person who said that in-laws are not family is wrong. They are family as much as the rest. If it boils down to it. Create your husband an account, get them transferred to him, then transfer them to you.

Again, I'm very sorry you had to deal with her. Oh, and she's up to 7,226 memorials added as of today. So I do think she is in the numbers game for sure. It's crazy.

If she would just do it the right way and take the families into consideration, and then transfer the memorials it would be a whole different situation, but she is just not doing that. It's very sad. I think she needs help. Good luck to you.

I do hope you got some resolution. I do plan on getting mine.

I'll fight until I do. Blessings and hugs!

Rude contributor

Find A Grave - Recent Death

I recently lost my husband a couple of months ago. Somehow he was on Find A Grave, without my or any other family member's permission. There with photos of him, one of which I have never seen. They had him buried in a particular location where we are planning to bury him before he was buried. They even had his birth date wrong. Apparently, some of his information was taken from the local newspaper obituary. Find A Grave needs to have some sort of grace period respecting the grieving families. I would suggest 5 to 10 years before listing unless they have contacted the family members for permission. Thankfully, after contacting the contributor, the posting was removed. I am writing this because I do not want anyone to have to go through this. He hasn't even been gone 5 months.

The same thing happen when my husband passed. A person listed it with incorrect information and my husband doesn't even have a grave.j

If the cemetery has their own website with grave listings, would you also object to your loved one appearing there for 5-10 years? If your loved one is buried in a National Cemetery, they will appear on the National Gravesite Locatur the month after the burial.

@PissedConsumer1217937

Funeral homes, cemeteries and the like are one thing b/c it’s part of what they do and families expect to see those memorials in fact we look for them and know that it was part of someone’s job to put that up there.

*** * ****e is a completely different animal b/c when I first found a family member on the site they had been dead for 50+ years and I was really happy to find it. And it gave me the impression that the purpose for the site was for genealogy and history buffs who do voluntary historical research, which I was fine and supportive with.

But when I found a memorial for my mother had been created 3 months after she died I had a problem with it for a few reasons. The first being that she knew about the site and asked me to wait to post a memorial for her, the second being it was completely unnecessary b/c the funeral home and cemetery already had that covered so it was already completely searchable online the third being you don’t know who is posting this stuff and what sort of information they have access to. Whereas with funeral homes and cemeteries you know it was someone’s job you know where to go if there is a problem and are talking to a person with a real name.

So what they have been doing on *** * ****e is completely unnecessary unless it was done by a family member.

Shakelia
@PissedConsumer1271074

Instead of going by the "impression" you got, you should have read the FAQs b/c, you know, that's has the real info about the site. Just sayin'.

See, it's about all graves & final dispositions: new ones, old ones and non-graves (like body donated to science).

If the person is deceased and the disposition is known, they belong on Find A Grave. If your mother knew about the site and her info was going to be published on a funeral home site or in a newspaper, why did she think no one else would create a memorial for her?

My daughter was posted before we even had her buried, also someone got it from an obit, two people actually posted her obit, one did it before she was even buried the other about ten days after...I wasn't in the mindset to put it up yet, but I then felt I had to before someone else did,it broke my heart m she was only 25.

#1204392

This just happened to me. My mother died and a *** contributor keen on high stats posted her memorial with incorrect and incomplete information on the date of her death, days before her funeral.

In fact her body was still at home. The family created a memorial a short while later, which I sponsored and posted photos and a biography to.

When I contacted the other contributor and asked that they delete it as they did not know her and as her only child I should be able to manage the memorial, *** transferred my sponsorship to them and deleted the family created memorial. I agree that there are a lot of good things about *** but the practice of trawling through obits and posting them on the date of death or before the funeral is truly disgusting.

#1199429

It's a normal thing for this website--it's the sole purpose of the site--to record the burial information or final disposition of remains, no matter when the death occurred. My sincere sympathies for your loss, it's understandably unnerving to see them listed when you are hardly able to wrap your heart around the fact that they have passed away, but it's what the site is and what the site does.

No different than how hard it must be to see the original obit in the newspaper. That's so horrible the newspaper got the birth date wrong. :( I hope they corrected it.

If you want to correct it on the Find A Grave website, just click on the Edit tab near the top right of his memorial page. Again, my condolences on your loss.

#1198225

People are loading memorials from the obituaries. In Champaign County Ohio C and Y who is Candi G does this every day.

She loves her stats. It is a way to control a cemetery and everyone has to send edits to her and add photos to her.

#1195210

It also happened to my family member, it is quite a normal thing on this site. People jump to list a persons death before their body has had a chance to grow cold in the morgue--- Completely disgusting!

View more comments (8)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Not as described/ advertised

Find A Grave Reviews

Find A Grave reviews
Find A Grave - Profile Review from Merrillville, Indiana
Neil D Scheidt  40,496 Memorials Added 40,409 Memorials Managed This guy makes so called memorials without birth/death dates, or a photo. He uses the same blank double stone photo for most of his memorials. He prefers to make memorials mostly for Revolutionary...

Get a grip. Some people would complain if it rained during a drought.

Merrillville, Indiana
Bad quality

Find A Grave - Two account with my name and profile

I have had an account (#4655****) for over 12 years with 133 memorials, I can only view this through a link in my favorites. on the left hand side is activities and one choice is you are logged on as, when I click that it opens to account (#4736****) which is just 4 years old and has 2 memorials. I want find a grave to remove the latter account with all that is in it and give me a pass word to the older account (I don't know the old password). I hope they correct this soon as I am a 88 year old WW 2/Vietnam veteran and may soon be in a grave myself.
San Antonio, Texas
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Find A Grave - Profile Review from Marietta, Georgia

I have found a large number of mistakes in this site due to incorrect compilation of information from other incorrect sources. The Profile Manager is the first to enter the info and if they do not reassign ownership to another and the data the original owner entered is wrong, then the wrong data is forever on the site. There needs to be an arbitrator who can assess sources to determine if the information can be corrected for future use. There are too many people citing too many wrong sites.

Thats what the edit tab is for.

There is a very simple process to get any errors corrected on memorials where the original contributor is no longer active. Contact Find A Grave through their various contact emails depending on what issue you have. They are very responsive and can make the necessary changes if your changes are correct.

View more comments (1)
Marietta, Georgia
Poor customer service
Findagrave has recently (2014) been bought out by ancestry.com. There will be more for-profit changes to come. The intent of the site was to document every grave in the world for public consumption. The ethics of that quest are much debated, no respect for the dead or...

I personally have established memorials of my family members so that they are not forgotten. I posted pictures of the people if available for the benefit of our future family members who might be interested in their past heritage. I have met only nice people on this site, so I haven't a clue what any of you are talking about when you condemn the site.

Find A Grave Profile
After spending 10 years contributing memorials and gravestone pictures for hundreds of cemeteries I went on the forum to ask some questions about a "top contributor" that was leaving nasty messages on my profile. Later that same afternoon I could not get into my...

wow, That has happened to a friend of mine too....Just because he wrote to a "Top contributor" about duplications and somehow got him banned as well, specifically for "angry words" toward the "top contributor" who he only told him to stop duplicating memorials....(So much for enforcing their FAQ Rules...) This "Top Contributor" breaks so many of the rules that my friend got angry with him when he wouldn't transfer a close family member to my friend...

Find A Grave Profile
I have been with *** about 2 years. I have had so many mean emails from the volunteers and other contributors that I have taken all my personal information off of my profile. One email from a volunteer was so nasty that I sent an email requesting help from *** admin...

I actually did go in this morning and delete everything I had posted in Horry county SC on find a grave after receiving back to back nasty comments from one of the self appointed "grave police" who decided that no one should post a second picture because members of THEIR historical association had posted one and I was trying to "trump" their photo by posting pictures of different season and lighting or close up views where the wording was legible WITHOUT downloading and resizing. Very tacky.

Brandon, Florida