396 views

Who gave anyone at this "hobby site", the "right" to stand on my father's grave and take a picture of his tombstone? Unlike the many "famous" people and their graves that begin this site... it has now devolved into a grave violating hobby for a bunch of people who have nothing better to do than to aspire for "top honors" for the greatest number of graves, (of private citizens), photographed (violated), documented, and splayed across the Internet. Some even have the audacity to post warnings as to the "copyright" status of these photographs.

How do you explain to your 92 year old mother why some stranger is standing on her husband's tomb taking photographs? How do you explain to her why the picture of her husband's tomb is splattered across the Internet? How do you answer her question about why some stranger "owns" the copyright to the photo of her husband's tomb?

This is vulgarity beyond measure.

Time to start getting some "grave desecration" and privacy laws updated...and getting some lawyers to start earning their annual retainers.

Location: Salem, Oregon

Comments

The United State of America gave them the right to stand wherever they want. Deal with it.

You don't own anybody and you DO NOT get to choose who is remembered on a website and who is not. Are you ok? Cuz THAT just happened! hahhahahahahahaaahahhaahhahahhahhahahah

First you can tell your old *** granny that her husband was a Nazi and there are lots of people that want to find his grave online so they posted it.

People like to come and *** all over the graves of *** like your Nazi grand-pappy. You have no idea who he knew, and who knew him throughout his life, and you don't get to control his memory, we do, hahahahahahahahaah owned you *** tard.

If F.A.G. members choose to have their contribtuions deleted the administrators should remove them even is another member has foolishly sponsored the memorials.

F.A.G. is stealing members photos, memorials stealing obituaries, obituary photos. They continue to violate Copyrights just so Jim Tipton can profit from the deaths of our loved ones. F.A.G.

does not provide a service they are NOT free and they ARE a for profit company yet they do nothing the members do all the work while Jim Tipton profits millions every year from thefts of copyrighted photos and obituaries.

F.A.G. equals Copyright Violators equals Federal Law Violators!

I did not know how upset people were getting about me using different names on this website. I assumed because the site tracks the town and state people would be able to identify my posts.

In July something was wacky with the site.All my posts are listed under Madison Wisconsin from July 1, 2012 to July 27,2012 On July 28 it changes to Minneapolis, Minnesota. I will now stick to using one name to help you all out but if I forget remember all of July Madison WS and Minneapolis Minnesota to date.

FIND A GRAVE MEMBER LKAT IS NOTHING BUT A FILTHY VULTURE, SHE STANDS ON FRESHLY BURIED VETERANS GRAVES (BURIED THAT DAY) @ FORT SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL CEMETERY. I HAVE WITNESSED HER FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS STANDING ON FRESHLY BURIED VETERANS GRAVES & THEIR SPOUSES GRAVES TAKING PICTURES OF THE TEMPORARY MARKERS SO SHE CAN RUN HOME AND CREATE A MEMORIAL.

MY GRANDFATHER WAS BURIED THERE 2 YEARS AGO AND I SAW HER BEING A VULTURE AND ASK WHO SHE WAS AND WHAT SHE WAS DOING...TURNS OUT SHE IS A FIND A GRAVE VULTURE!

FEEDING OFF THE DEATHS OF VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILY.

ALL FIND A GRAVE DOES IS PROFIT FROM THE DEATHS OF LOVED ONES WITHOUT PROVIDING A WORTHY SERVICE, THEY STEAL OBITUARY NOTICES & OBITUARY PHOTOS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID FOR AND PROVIDED BY THE FAMILY, THE PROFIT FROM TAKING PICTURES OF GRAVESTONES THAT FAMILY HAS PAID FOR AND THEY PROFIT FROM THE SPONSORING OF MEMORIALS OF LOVED ONES. IT IS INDEED AT THE VERY LEAST SACRILEGIOUS NOT TO MENTION OUT RIGHT THEFT!

Hey Charlotte know what a house is not my sons grave marker. Just because it is legal it does not make it morally or ethically right. if you are making someone feel violated and defending it ""WOW"" meet a member of findagrave where the abusive prey on the vulnerable

#519849

People should not have to explain why they feel violated when a stranger is photographing their dads,moms,child's,or grandparents etc.graves. For the purpose of posting it on the internet. Then creating a memorial for someone they don't know. An Obituary is not written without the help of a Friend or family member and a memorial is usually done by someone who has knowledge of that person. A stranger! might just lob someone in the wrong cemetery RIGHT JULIE!!

What are some potential problems of a stranger creating a persons memorial. Well one daughter thinks:

. I found errors on my mother's memorial and per your instructions I have noted the errors in a message to the creator of the site, however, it bring up an important question. Why do you allow those who have NO KNOWLEGE of family history to supply details about a person they know possitively NOTHING ABOUT. I HAPPEN TO KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE PERSON WHO DECIDED IT HER RIGHT TO ADD INFO ABOUT MY MOTHER, HAD NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE ABOUT HER FAMILY OR THE INFO WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN REPORTED INACCURATELY. I do have some advice to all your "creators" whoever they may be. DON'T PROVIDE DATA IF YOU AREN'T PERSONALLY INVOLVED!!!

Julie it is more odd that you cannot identify with the emotions of anyone other than yourself.

I am a findagrave contributor. I am not doing photo request to be rewarded.

No, that's not true. I am doing photo request to be rewarded when some relative post that they would like to have a photo of their loved ones tombstone.

My reward is them saying, "thank you." Even if they don't say thanks. I can rest easier knowing that I helped someone.

I can not find this company

Get a life. Do you get upset when maintenance staff run a lawn mower over your dead father's grave?

So what if they're standing on the grass six feet about where your father rests, atleast they're not sitting or standing on the gravestone. 8)

We bury the family in the backyard so it is private.

@Scott - Get over yourself. What part standing on the grave of the OP's father don't you get?

Just because you are a hoarder it doesn't give you the right to stand on someones grave. Are you seriously that ignorant? Do you think chalking is OK too? You said that "millions" of people will save "millions" of hours looking for their relations...

as long as the end justifies the means right? Google what that means, I have more than a hunch you don't know. Millions? Dramatic much?

:roll

I am certain you can agree that it's not up to you what the family of the deceased considers scarilage and vulgarity, although it is clear that you have appointed yourself the mayor of tombstone town. Again GET OVER YOURSELF.

Get a grip. A phot of a tombstone is anything but sacrilidgeous.

People from all over the country, in the course of researching their family, take photographs of tombstones. Not only does this help in their private research, but, if posted on sites like Find-A-Grave saves millions of people millions of hours looking allover the place for the tombstone of one of ther relations.

I am certain you can agree that there are far more REAL issues to concren ones self with. Again GET A GRIP.

@Yeah OK: Have you looked at Google's street view lately of your own address? Odds are, your house will be there.

Even teeny tiny towns are on Google's street view. It is entirely legal...as is photographing grave markers.

@ J or is it Julie? How would you like it if someone walked up and down on a public street and started taking pictures of your home.

Also pictures of you, your children and family? You and your home are in a public place. Anyone can take photos. How about if those photos included personal items?

How would you like those photos displayed all over the internet? For people like you you will simply never understand it.

You are obviously one of the findagrave cronies who seriously need to get a life. In fact how about I send some of my friends to go take those pictures of you, your home and family members.

What an odd way to look at it. Your father is obviously buried in a public cemetery right?

You have to stretch pretty far to construe taking a picture of a headstone (anyone's) into a sacrilegious or vulgar act.

Don't forget the site is intended as a memorial. You should be happy your dad is being remembered.

Find a grave haas been of great help in traciing my family. Most people that I have dealt with have been respectful.

but.....

findagraveaz@***.com has totally ignored me about 5 times. What do you do when that happens?

but.....

It is not necessary to stand on a grave to photograph the headstone. Modern cameras preclude this with good lens and automatic exposure features.

Cemeteries are open public places unless they are fenced and devoted to private families only. They are there so that all can pay their respects to the departed. Until I visited a few cemeteries I was unaware of the identity of my greatgrandfather who I found by sheer luck.

Since then I have been researching the family and found many of the old pioneers who built modern day Texas. thank you Find a Grave.

Our primary business, is in the reverant care of our lost loved ones. However, we also do volunteer work with FindAGrave.com: to help distant reletives (geographically speaking)find those family members that they cannot get to; in cemeteries in our general area. We use all resources available to us: but the largest one - are the staff at the cemeteries. I proudly wear a FindAGrave t-shirt when I am doing this work.

As more and more people become interested in geneology: the services of this site, and it's many VOLUNTEER providers; becomes an increasingly more important asset that the geneologists have to use for research and discovery.

I am sure there are (like in most places): zealots who take things to extremes. But for the most part: I believe that the people here are doing a much needed service. Someday, we may even have the ability to visit our loved ones graves; without even having to leave our homes (through our computers): and I am sure that these volunteers (and others like them) will have a big part in bringing this forward for the masses.

John Shachter