I FOUND A DUPLICATE MEMORIAL FOR MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER, I TRIED TO REQUEST VIA EMAIL FROM THE NON-FAMILY MEMBER WHO HAS IT, BUT SHE HAD "DISABLED" HER EMAIL (This contributor has their messages disabled) I REPORTED THIS TO FIND A GRAVE, AND THEY STUPIDLY DECIDED TO "MERGE" BOTH MEMORIALS TOGETHER, DELETING MINE AND GIVING IT TO THIS STRANGER. ALL THE WORK I HAD DONE, ADDING SIBLINGS, PARENTS ETC TO MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S MEMORIAL IS NOW IN THE HANDS OF THIS STRANGER WHO HAD DISABLED HER EMAILS SO SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO RESPOND TO ANYONE.

I FIND THIS EXTREMELY UNACCEPTABLE AND IN BAD TASTE. I WILL PURSUE OTHER AVENUES TO CORRECT THIS, EVEN IF IT MEANS TAKING LEGAL ACTION.

Product or Service Mentioned: Find A Grave Customer Care.

Reason of review: IGNORED MY REQUEST.

Preferred solution: TRANSFER BACK TO ME, MY GREAT GRANDMOTHERS MEMORIAL.

Find A Grave Cons: Transferring memorials from family to strangers.

Comments

k6cks01_63

I agree with you completely. Find A Grave is not responsive to family members.

I have a similar problem with mt 3rd Great Grandparents. Some of the information on their memorials is simply wrong and the "manager" has her e-mail and messages blocked.

Find A Grave's position is that the "memorial is outside of our transfer guidelines". This is causing confusion and embarrassment to family members.

@k6cks01_63

Have you fully followed the procedure to get the memorial corrected through the Edit tab and then follow-up?

@GoodCitizen

I will try that. I have old family photos of them that I would like on there as well.

This entire situation is full of problems. To begin with the contributor doesn't even live here. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I doubt she has even been to the Cemetery where they are buried. Thank You so much for the suggestion!

@Rory Bowers

Contributors aren't required to live in the area or to have been to the cemetery.

Be sure to read the FAQs about how to get an error corrected and follow each step. It even tells you what to do if the "fact" edits are declined.

THEWHITEQUEEN

You must work for them. Did you not read my complaint thoroughly?

I have been doing genealogy research for 20+ years. I know how find a grave works. I don't need any lessons.My memorial was in a cemetery. My memorial was older then hers.

The fact remains that this woman disabled her ability to receive messages/edit requests.

The fact remains that's she ignored my personal emails that I sent her. The fact remains that she is more interested in accumulating memorials, so she can be listed on top contributor list, then responding to the families of these memorials who should be in control, not strangers.

@THEWHITEQUEEN

I did read your original complaint where you didn't say anything about whether the memorial was created in a cemetery. No, I do not work for them.

I too understand how the site works. Active F.A.G. contributors can NOT disable the ability to receive edit requests. The Edit tab works on EVERY memorial.

The first five options are for field entries. You can send an "email" to them by using the "Suggest any other correction" option (the 6th). Again, they can NOT turn off that ability.

It doesn't matter if their email address is displayed on their profile - they will still get emails sent via the Edit tab's 6th option. As far as profile messages, each contributor has the choice whether or not to have them enabled even though some would like the right to dictate to everyone else.What "legal action" do you think you can take?

GoodCitizen

Find A Grave generally merges newer memorial into the older one, regardless of who created them. The exception to that is when the older memorial is not "in" a cemetery.

Since the other memorial was the one retained, yours was either the newer one or the one not in a cemetery.Whenever you want to contact a Find A Grave contributor about a memorial, you should use the Edit tab on that memorial. The top 5 options are for data fields.

The 6th one will generate an email to the memorial manager. This is all covered in the FAQs.

I am having the same trouble and can't put kids names on my grt. Uncles find a grave.

@tricia

Links are made on the children's memorials, not the parents.

That is so unfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry this happened to you.

@thieves

The Thieves there do it DELIBERATELY!! They are selfish fools all about obtaining LARGE NUMBERS for their ignorant PROFILE PAGE! Some guy there with his last name starting with " A " lies and cheats constantly and continually!

@Anonymous

You can add Mr know it all " TW " to your thief list.

Find A Grave Reviews