3.2K views

I was recently doing some research on my deceased father and found a picture of his headstone and his information on this site, Findagrave.com. After doing more research and looking into it, I realized that the person who posted it and made a "memorial" for my father is a stranger to not only my father; but, our family.

I was appalled to see a link to "upgrade" his memorial and a link to pay to have ads removed. What kind of people profit off the death and sorrow of other families? The people that take these pictures and post these memorials call themselves "gravers" and from what I can gather from forums and research are trying to collect these pictures to increase their numbers on the website, while the administrators and creators of this website are collecting money and profiting from dead family members. I want my father's memorial deleted and when I emailed the individuals who posted it, they replied with nasty emails with foul language.

It was incredibly unprofessional and shows their lack of respect for the dead and their survivors. Can someone please tell me the best way to have a memorial removed from Findagrave.com?

Review about: Find A Grave Forum.

Comments

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied about your father memorial, You might find this hard to believe, but no one at Findagrave gets paid, I manage almost 370 memorials, and have taken almost 1400 pictures of headstones and have never got paid on paid on cent, we are all volunteers our time and cost, what you paid for was the advertising, a lot of people have the same problem, and it is very hard to get your money back, if your unhappy with the picture, click on the name under the picture the and ask the person to remove there picture. to have the memorial removed, go the suggest edits tab, it's near the center or the page just below the memorial ID number & View Source, once your in the edit area, go to the bottom of the page, and click on suggest other corrections, there you will ask them to the memorial and why.

But remember try to work out your problem, yes have just gotten the memorial, but there is nothing to keep someone else fromeopening up another memorial. I hope I have helped, Thank You Dennis Friedman dennisjf12@gmail,com

I found my grandparents crypts posted on the site. I want it down Now!!!

I personally own the crypts.

They should at least ask before posting pics. I don’t even let family post pics why would I let a stranger post.

The contributors don't make money from this. They are just hoping to preserve history.

A grave location is public information, even if the cemetery is on private property. If there is a marker or monument, the person's family meant for them to be seen and remembered. I don't know about the ads because I use ad blockers on all my devices so I can't see them.

If you go on Ancestry.com or any other search site, your loved one can be found by strangers. It's just not possible to obliterate them from existence if they had any vital records through their church or local government.

DecentCommonFrog
to Kathy #1454726

Preserve history?! Bull.

In my eyes it's a numbers game. I've been a member on find a grave since 2004, I have approximately 10 memorials on my profile, all relatives. It seems to me these people don't care who they put on the site or what they add, just as long they get that number up there. They've got people on that site with over 1million memorials, are they all related to these people.

Most likely not!! It's just what they can put on their profile for the numbers...Find a grave has gone down the toilet as far as I'm concerned...!!

to DecentCommonFrog #1489075

I was wondering what the outcome of this was? Did find a grave delete it yet?

I'm asking because I just found my husbands headstone posted. I am beyond livid! My name and date of birth are also on the headstone. I have spoke with my grown sons about it and they think its disgusting.

We don't want photos of his headstone posted online. If someone were to create a memorial with pictures of him while he was alive and that celebrate his life that's a different story but not like this.

Its only a reminder of the worst day of our life. I have emailed findagrave and asked it be removed in its entirety.

Paradise, California, United States #1248054

This is an old post but I feel compelled to respond. I understand exactly how this person is feeling.

It is beyond disgusting to have advertisements for tampons and beer on the gravesite memorial page of deceased people with a "pay five bucks if you want these ads to go away". It is also beyond disgusting that "gravers" can hoard mass memorial records as long as they are two generations removed from originating family members, even if they have absolutely no relation to the family at all. *** condones and supports and implements moral and ethical abuses of our deceased that would make anyone with any kind of conscience want to puke. In doing so they attract dirtbags who are the primary people they call gravers adding these records and then hoarding them or trading them like baseball cards for ratings.

The only recourse an actual human being can take is to request if not beg for a record transfer and then pay five dollars per memorial to get rid of the humiliating advertisements so their loved ones are not being disrespected in such a deplorable manner. I shutter not only for what I see happening at *** but for how this opens the door for even worse violations to come with other such companies in the future.

Our society has really stooped to a whole new level of disgrace. Very sad to see.

You can request that a memorial of a family member be removed by sending an email to Find A Grave. Look in their FAQ's and other sources for information on the left side of the memorial.

I am sorry that your experience was so bad, that should not have happened.

I am not sure if *** will permanently remove the memorial or just the present one.

Find a grave will remove your father if you ask. It may take a few weeks but email support@findagrave.com.

But it could get added again it someone walks a cemetery and takes photos. If you join you can have it transferred to you. Then you can wright a nice bio for him. I do it so others can find long lost family.

If you still have the persons email send a copy to them. There is no need for Rudeness.

I'm sorry for the loss of your father. I am a Find-A-Grave volunteer and we go to cemeteries near where we live and take photos of headstones and make memorials online for those family members who don't live nearby.

I am always happy to transfer memorials over to a family member when contacted. I am sorry that the person who did the memorial is not doing what you wish about it.

Please report them to the administrators, nothing may come of it because cemeteries are on public land most of the time. Once again so sorry you've had a negative experience.

I am a contributor to this site. It is not about getting money as I am not paid and it is not about getting a quota of photos or memorials added.

I do it because I am helping people to find their ancestors. That's why I went to Find A Grave to start with. You can ask to manage your father's grave, if what you want is control over what is online about him. Or you can ask to have it removed.

But that is one link in somebody's family tree that will be forever lost if you do remove it. I hope you reconsider.

to Anonymous #1391833

I can’t even get into the site without being told I have won a prize. Completely blocks your page making it impossible to find what I was looking for on your page! I’m not putting my financial information through to pay the $5 because I can’t see how my privacy will be protected.

They will remove your father if you ask them.

support@findagrave.com

You don't own information. People can do with it what they want. Get over it.

to Anonymous Victorville, California, United States #1142268

to Anonymous #1142269

To Anonymous Sep 01, 2015 #1028389

to Anonymous #1283983

Technically speaking death records are not public records and available only to those who have a personal or property rights interest. Creating an online memorial for someone you are not related to or do not know is not a property rights interest.

Check the vital records section on your state’s website and the identity theft section on the fbi website. And stop bullying people “to get over it” who do not want their families memorials posted on there.

to Anonymous #1448757

That's not entirely true. The law is catching up and depending on the state a grave headstone is considered property by the owner. Meaning the person who purchased it.

I'm having the same issues with my older brothers headstone and it really makes me and my family upset and I have asked the person to remove only the headstone picture what else can I do????????

California, United States #869427

You are doing it for YOURSELF ! Who are you to assume family want their loved ones grave posted on the internet !!! Especially by a stranger and with added personal information !!!

You have it all wrong. What a negative view of people you have. Whoever added your relative to find a grave did it to honor their memory, out of kindness - and they did it for FREE.