Style and Design

I have been transcribing and photographing graves for Find-A-Grave for 15 years. Now that Ancestry has taken it away, it's no longer the user friendly, enjoyable contributing website that it has always been.

I am highly upset about this. The Ancestry format is no longer an pleasant web experience that I have spent hours and hours using. WHY screw it all up, ANCESTRY! You take great websites and incorporate them into your "very lacking" and ad based jumble.

The last mess you made was in taking over GenForum. I no longer use it since you turned it into a generic, non user friendly board. At one time, I reaped many great benefits from the GenForum website. But of course, I got it!

It's all about forming your monopoly around resources for genealogical research, increasing your annual rates, and raking in your millions! Researching is no longer the pleasant online experience that is once was.

Product or Service Mentioned: Find A Grave Website.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

It's gone down hill, definitely

Get the OLD SITE BACK ON LINE TODAY !!!!!! Why change it - IT WASN'T BROKEN ---Your new site REALLY SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--INCORRECT DATES AND NAMES AND INFO ALL WRONG ------ I don't have all day scrolling looking for correct info....

SO Today get the OLD SITE BACK ON LINE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your NEW SITE IS DISASTER........

I totally agree. Ancestry.com thinks upgrading is UPgrading.

But something is amiss here folks. Advertising isn't the fixing issue ..

Will cost them revenue and FREE findagrave.com just lost its users. SO how you like that advertisers???

CooingHalibut

It irritates me to no end how they changed things. And.......I DON'T NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO POST MY FAMILY THE DAY THE OBIT IS IN THE NEWSPAPER.

DAMN! I HATE BEGGING SOMEONE NOT RELATED TO GIVE ME MY FAMILY MEMBER! OR POST PICTURES I DON'T WANT POSTED. I SAW WHERE SOME GUY HAS DONE 25,000 GRAVES.

SERIOUSLY? DO YOU SIT WITH THE FREAKING NEWSPAPER?

@CooingHalibut

I seriously agree with you. There are some very mentally disturbed people who hoard memorials of other peoples families.

ralphy

Just like Ancestry destroyed Rootsweb.

I agree. It's a shame that the Ancestry has such a monopoly on so many genealogical sites that used to be free and easy to navigate.

Remember years ago when roots web and others were 100% free, plus they didn't even require registration. All of the sites were strings free and easy to use...Last I heard, the money hungry expensive site grabbers at Ancestry were obtaining the last free site of Family Search dot com.

This site didn't even require any registering, so now that Ancestry is getting their grubby business involved, it'll be ruined.

What a shame!

@Kimberly

there website is no longer accurate, as there are some who are changing and messing up old genealogy files. ...some kinds of personal vendetta goen on there now .

@Kimberly

Where did you hear Ancestry was acquiring FamilySearch?

@Kimberly

Family Search is owned by the Mormons. I don't think they will be giving up their website to anyone-- as it is run by their church, and has been for over a hundred years. Mormons only share their genealogy information with others which they have so carefully accumulated for the last century.

DecentCommonFrog
@Kimberly

Ancestry owns family search. It's their free website.

@DecentCommonFrog

Not true! Family search has been around for a 100 years and long before Ancestry.

Family search belongs to the Mormon church.

Ancestry gets a lot of their info from Family Search..... They believe in sharing.

user26537769

Ancestry to only allow five edits per week! This is ludicrous!!!

@user26537769

Just send whatever they'll allow, and only work at that location from time to time. You may need to limit your scope a bit, but it might be better than developing a case of the apoplexy.

Definitely do not ask them to justify their reasoning.

They can be quite vindictive and it's a bit like having a gator chewing on your ankle. Meanwhile, any corrections you can get in there is more than it had.

@user26537769

Are you just now hearing about that? It's been that way for over a year.

@user26537769

It's not 5 edits per week. It's 5 emails to the Find A Grave addresses PER DAY.

We are allowed to submit 20 "Suggest other corrections" in one week to the SAME contributor. These are the suggestions that produce an email to the memorial manager.

Isn't 20 per week to the same person enough?

There is no limit to the fact-field edits although it is SUGGESTED we not go over 40 per week to the SAME contributor. That seems reasonable to me.

user26537769

The enormity of the old Find A Grave was created by volunteer contributors. I believe that should have been considered by Ancestry before taking over the site and ruining it.

It's doubtful whether I will continue to contribute to the "New" Find A Grave.

@user26537769

The old f-d-g site is much better and easier to read. The new site is all over the place and hard to focus on.

This a very BAD move for this site. Who enjoys scrolling all over the place for info!

@Smirk

I would like one woman to stop contacting me with her uneducated ideas on genealogy. She is crazy as a bat!

@nobrains