Show reviews that mention
site family people information memorials memorial cemetery members website member
Showing 20 of 662 reviews Clear filter
Filter review

Verified Reviewer

I have 2 groups memorials that i want combined. how can i do this. JudyEdwards64

1.8
I did several years ago then several years later some more. could not get them combind
ID
#2192746 Review #2192746 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Pflugerville, Texas
2.0
I have been doing genealogy for about 10 years, yesterday I decided to use Find A Grave site. I looked up my mother, imagine my surprise when I found someone had placed a stranger on their memorial stating this was their daughter I am an only child, and I am very much...
#1936669

First off you need to back up and look at the whole picture. Things do not always go your way.

This site is a great site for folks who are interested in geneology which you do not see to be inclined that way. If you are a member, use the edit button to delete incorrect link and have your mother transferred to you.

Also you need to read the rules of the site before you start slamming the best thing that has happened to genealogy for free. No one is perfect, not even you.

Scarbro, West Virginia

False Information

2.0
False information on Grave Site. When you post a family written Obituary, the facts in that Obituary may not always be the truth. Case in point Fictitious Native American Indian Chief!!! The person I am referring to created an alter ego proclaiming himself to all of a sudden to be a famous Native American Chief. He fooled some into believing this and when he died, it was written in to his obituary. He in fact has never been a Chief-Records will prove this! But people doing Genealogy will blindly follow this and think this is truth. You have created a monster by copying Obituaries!!!

User's recommendation: Do not believe everything Written in Obiuaries on Find a Grave.

ID
Pros
  • Gives some good information
  • I used to love it using the old web site
Cons
  • Posting incorrect info
Let the company propose a solution

GREAT WEBSITE FOR RESEARCHING. i HAVE FOUND A LARGE AMOUNT OF ANCESTERS ON THIS SITE.

Update by user Jan 23

I HAVE HAD TROUBLE TRYING TO ACCESS CERTAIN CEMETERIES'

Original review posted by user Jan 23
i HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE PULLING UP CEMETERY LOCATED IN LIBERTY TOWNSHIP UNION COUNTY INDIANA.AT ONE TIME I SAW A MESSAGE THAT READ SOME TOMBSTONES WERE DOWN AND WERE STACKED UP BUT IT LISTED WHO THESE TOMBSTONES BELONG TO.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Pros
  • I liked old format better
Problem with delivery
1.7
After attaching two different Find A Grave memorials to a relative’s name on my Ancestry tree, I discovered one of the memorials had been changed from the original informative obituary in the Bio to scant information. Also, there was significant erroneous information...

It sounds like someone did not like your mother’s support of equality issues. What kind of whackos do they allow to place memorials at Find a Grave?

Twisting the name of a deceased person is very unsavory. And making money off of degrading dead people is disgusting.

Let the company propose a solution

Your trust is our top priority

• 100% user-generated content
  • Professional automated and live moderation
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Equal Opportunity and Protection
  • Verified content

For more information about PissedConsumer check out our Blog article

Find A Grave - My Grandparents and Photos
A person visiting my home took a picture of my grandfather out of an album without my knowledge and posted it to his grave memorial. The memorial by someone I don't know, full of wrong information. The head stone are full of mud I think was smeared on to get a picture....
Alto

My suggestion would be for you to visit their graves, wash and clean the stones and take some good, high quality photos. Then upload them to the memorials.

Find A Grave Genealogy Record
problem being ignored
1.9
I prefer the old format but with new connect to Ancestry.com buttons. The new site is awful and there is no feel of a memorial.

New site is AWFUL. Cannot navigate it at all.

Old site was a thousand times better. Will no longer waste my time with it.

Find A Grave Website
Bad quality

Now bloated with advertising

1.9
I had been a member for about 7 years and had submitted almost 1,000 memorials. These were mostly close family members who I did not want somebody else to claim, despite my having serious doubts about the integrity of the website. First, it was privately owned, by one individual, not a public trust. Then, not surprisingly, it was sold out for a profit (unreported and unknown) to Ancestry. The promise was made was that it would remain free. Fast forward to a couple years later. It is still "free" as long as the user community continues to contribute hundreds of thousands of hours submitting free content. But they have now re-programmed the site to include exorbitant, outrageous amounts of advertising. It is so bad, the website has become unusable. Bloated and sucks up CPU resources bad it chokes the computer. My contribution was modest compared to some who have uploaded literally hundreds of thousands of gravesites. I will do no more. I home in the future there is an alternative with integrity to the genealogical community.

This comment sounds exactly like what I would write. I likewise had a very uncomfortable feeling about them.

I did figure out that it was privately owned by one individual and was highly vulnerable to being sold to one of the genealogy conglomerates. The one with the biggest pockets won. They would then milk it for all it was worth. I only used it to enter my own close family, likewise, to keep someone else from capturing them.

I now have almost 1,000 memorials as well.I absolutely detest the "new and improved" website. Even without all the bloated advertising, it is extremely hostile to navigate and to work with. The old was clear and easy.

But it apparently could not technically support all the ad bloat.I also continue to be disgusted with the administrators. They continually reject my edits for famous memorials they control, giving an arbitrary, invalid, programmed reason.

It is not owned by one person, it is actually owned by Ancesty.com which is owned by a multi-national conglomerate that owns a wide range of businesses, this is just one of them. That is the problem, they know nothing about ancestry and whoever they hired to built the website must be run by someone making their first site, it looks like it anyway. Do they not know what frames are?They need to set it up like the old site which was neat and orderly.

@PissedConsumer1458750

It originally was owned by one person who sold it to Ancestry.

all the advertising sucks! Everyone liked the old website much better than the new- It was easier to read and more compact on the page, rather than it is now which runs hog wild all other the network! The old cream color was better too !

@PissedConsumer1437767

I agree with you. PLUS-The site has become a site for drama! Some of the junk left on the flower messages is absolutely ridiculous!

i couldnt agree more, what was once a great personal memorial site for loved ones now has become a profit monster... they turned it into a grave/obit chasing contest where hundreds of thousans of obits are posted to get numbers, the graves are no longer seen as people only as numbers.. its pitiful

Here we go again, more complaining about the advertising. Seems like nobody bothers to read the previous 1000 posts on this exact thing.

If a website, any website, allows so much of it that it becomes unbearable, what can you do?

As has been said ad infinitum: get an ad blocker. Costs nothing and you never have to see one again unless you want to.

@PissedConsumer1433972

I have Adblocker and there are some ads it can't block and it still eats up resources because the scrips are poorly written and crash a lot of the time. Clicking from Ancestry often brings up the wrong grave page etc.

They didn't learn a thing from when they launched the new Ancestry site a couple of years ago, refusing to put back many of the links on the page and made it a 3-4 step process to put up a photo etc. It wasn't until after you couldn't use the old site anymore and there was a mass exodus of long time high paying customers that they put back the parts that people wanted put back and fixed how photos etc.

are added. Since FaG is free, we have no chance of that happening.

View more comments (7)
ID
#1190888 Review #1190888 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Find A Grave Website
Pros
  • Old
  • Old pre-ancestry fag
Cons
  • New and improved website with bloated advertising
Not as described/ advertised
Loss
Preferred solution
Go back to old site, remove bloated advertising

Followed the rules, but I got punished not the harasser

1.7
This year, there was a suicide in our area. As the deceased is a distant relation through marriage, I created and sponsored a lovely, respectful memorial that I felt our side of the family could be proud of viewing. Two weeks later, a 13 year account created a duplicate memorial and used his link to harass the decedent's family. He posted on online forums begging people to leave comments for the family, turning our cousin's death into a sick little popularity contest for him. We reported him to site administration and, instead of banning him or deleting his page, they merged it wanted that. Now our nice little page is full of those nasty vulgar comments and we can't remove any of them ! The last straw, the insult to injury, they locked down the page! We can't edit or update any information on the memorial! We can't add or change any of our family member's picture. We did nothing wrong and we were penalized over the immaturity and harassing behavior of another person. I will never give this site a dime again. The only reason I haven't deleted all my pages and left that place is because I can't bear to see our loss turned into a circus again.

Well, the final chapter: they again removed from my care the memorial I created and paid to sponsor to another person whom I assume to be from the family. I'm not going to pout over our ownership being revoked but it is sad that we were treated so badly by the site and the person trolling the rest of the family was never penalized. I don't feel that my business is wanted by Ancestry.com so I will comply with their wishes and refrain from using their service or spending money with them.

@PissedConsumer1315101

I agree--why deal with liars and thieves! Enough is enough! Who needs to deal with looters, polluters and hoarders!

Well, an update. They gave us back the ability to edit the page but we are still stuck with those hateful comments and the troll person is still a site member.

We never got an apology, either. This is probably as close to 'resolved' as we can hope.

@PissedConsumer1310606

Some of the people their who do spread sheets try to bully other people around as if were they were the ones who invented and discovered findagrave. Like someone else once said ; there are some very twisted people hanging out there who deliberately try to pick fights with serious contributors.

They are emotionally disturbed and are better ignored.

Sadly!!!! some people never reach adult hood__ They are genuine idiots!

@PissedConsumer1311235

Even worse, there are some contributors on this site who are jealous of other contributors because they have better family history. These lowlifes deliberately set out to ruin the genealogy of other members and also call themselves genealogists. They are down right ignorant people/// and are the overloaded heap of a smelly trash sack!

I made a typo. " We reported him to site administration and, instead of banning him or deleting his page, they merged it *without asking if we* wanted that. "

@PissedConsumer1302205

It happens all the time! There are people there on this site who have been contributors (HOARDERS) for over a decade who sit around there all day, every day with empty memorials with OLD ENTRY DATES!

These fools then have the nerve to go steal the information from a newly entered memorial by someone else who has good intentions ---- then they go confiscate all the information from the newly made memorial---AND YELL DUPLICATE! Corruption and big lying thieves!

@PissedConsumer1302205

That is the standard method of dealing with two memorials for the same person, as stated in Find A Grave's Help section.

@PissedConsumer1315734

This wasn't a standard case. They said the 2nd memorial was used to troll the family. Merging it was ***.

@PissedConsumer1315734

Thieves are unacceptable! They belong in jail with the rest of the criminals who roam this earth!

If they can steal a memorial on *** then they are probable good store thieves as well.

Hoarders and looters all go together! Total lowlifes!

View more comments (10)
ID
#1020295 Review #1020295 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Find A Grave Account
Reason of review
Action taken w/o our permission
Preferred solution
Better practices. We did nothing wrong here but we got shafted.

Find A Grave Products and Services Reviews

364 reviews
Compare Find A Grave vs Ancestry

Latest Question

finding jazzman717

I have been trying to contact jazzman717 via find a grave. I take care of a cemetery and this person often updates info on this site. I run a museum in our town and have been given boxes of old local newspapers which have...

Find A Grave Questions
Update by user Mar 11, 2017

After following their instructions to the letter, and sending my complaints to customersolutions@***.com, they verified my name, and address and used all that information to remove and black ball me from the use of find a grave ; they are perhaps the most dishonest...

Shakelia

Thanks for the good laughs, @GriersonOrigins!! I'm rolling on the floor.

Literally wiping the tears from my eyes. See, everyone who uses the site is bound by the "Terms of Use". If you don't like the terms, don't use the site.

If you don't use follow the Terms, they'll disinvite you from using the site. It's their sandbox so they decide who is or is not allowed to play there.

Find A Grave Customer Care
Pros
  • Directions i got from ancestry dot com in utah
Cons
  • Took my details didnt me their last name is suspicious
CHANGE OF MANAGEMENT & RESPECTFUL TREATMENT OF THE PUBLIC

Awful Find a Grave treatment

1.5
I set up memorials for my blood relatives and made some friends on the site and contributed in all good faith originally. However, after some very rude comments and abuse over a few months period, I decided to leave, close my memorials and assumed that would be an end of it. Sadly I was wrong, My memorials were "Re-instated" not by myself but by admins! because some people decided they had sponsored the memorials and that gave them a right to bring them back so to speak. I was stunned as memorials that are personal to me, that I created don't even list me as the creator and I have no control over it. I was not even told my memorials were undeleted and found out when a friend from the site assumed I had returned. I have contacted multiple times the site through email and heard nothing back, I am very fed up and just wish for my memorials to be deleted as others were and left that way. People can be so rude and unthoughtful to others to feel they have a right to steal and alter memorials of people who are not even their family or even friend.

That is an invasion of privacy. Indeed!!!

very rude and I feel sorry for you.

I hope you can fix the problem, or tell someone to leave your family alone! Who do they think they are anyway?

@PissedConsumer1284258

They should be sued! The abuse needs to stop. They have some very vile people on this website!

@PissedConsumer1284258

Need to stay away from the cat people who horde cats memorials right and left....... A sneaky bunch of old ladies! Talk about trouble!

@PissedConsumer1298044

There is some old woman on this website who has a cat memorial for her dead cat that died at 102 years old. lOl!

This shows what some put into making realistic memorials. NOT!

@PissedConsumer1298044

Sum it up to ***

Contrary to what that site claims death records are NOT public information. As a family member if you don't want your family's memorials posted on their website they do not have the "right" to post them.

You can check the vital records section for the state your family is buried in. But if they are not family members they do not have the right to post that information.

@PissedConsumer1283443

That's a load of *** Sure you can have close family members removed (parents, spouse, siblings, children, grandchildren) but not every relative in your tree. If I walk a cemetery and record every grave there, I can add the info that I collected personally to Find A Grave or any other site I choose.

View more comments (6)

Incorrect Information

2.0
Find a Grave contributor #4767**** has posted a supposed memorial for numerous individuals states that the bodies were lost or lost at sea. This information is not correct. He has, also, listed several people as siblings to an individual along with parents that are not correct. He refuses to correct the information even though DNA has proven the information is not correct and there are numerous other sources which prove the information is not correct. Correct information was provided to him. The information was removed from the messages page. This type of thing is just exactly why genealogists do not view Find a Grave a valid source.
Queena

As you said, "This type of thing is just exactly why genealogists do not view Find a Grave a valid source."

#1199432

That contributor adds all kinds of BS garbage. The site really should stop people like him from adding those unknown burial sites, what a bunch of useless BS.

Very selfish.

He writes right on them that he has no idea where they are buried, and has no records or sources. Wtf is the point?

View more comments (1)
Find A Grave Genealogy Record
Cons
  • Posting incorrect info
  • Ancestry lack of response and poor site quality
Bad quality

Find A Grave - Funeral Forum Review from Smithfield, North Carolina

2.2
Dates and names are frequently inaccurate. Other sources should be used. The DAR does not accept this website as a source.
Samad

Like most crowd-sourced websites, the data presented is only as good as the source data. If the original source has incorrect data, the subsequent F.A.G.

memorial will most likely reflect the same incorrect data.

Even grave markers have incorrect data so those are not fool-proof. Users should realize Find A Grave is supposed to be a data base of final dispositions, nothing more or less.

Smithfield, North Carolina
Find A Grave Funeral Forum
Not as described/ advertised

Find A Grave - Customer Care Review from Council Bluffs, Iowa

1.8
I have had issue with other find a grave members. Find a grave allows contributors to hide behind anonymity. Recording this information for posterity should require transparency. I used to really like find a grave but no longer. They did not read my e-mail to them and are unresponsive to e-mails. They merge work that has been done by one person into someone else's work.
Calbert
#1190131

Duplicates are merged because only one memorial per person is allowed.

Members can be contacted thru the Edit tab's 6th option on any memorial they manage. It is really that easy.

You said Find A Grave did not read your email and were unresponsive. What was your email about and what response did you need or want?

#1194210
@Calbert

Merges are not always duplicates.

Some members make blank pages as Burial Unknown. Once they see an accurate memorial posted, they copy all the information to their blank page.

Then, they report the other page as a duplicate. If they feel "nice" they might tell the other page creator the page is a duplicate and to delete it.

This is one way some of the members up their page count.

Others have a page with inaccurate information. Name misspelled, wrong burial location, what have you. They will do the same thing.

The page which was created earlier will remain with its page creator.

The other person loses their page.

Find A Grave will look into it if you feel someone has been gaming the system. But my feeling is this is not something they want to be bothered with very often. Unfortunately some members will do anything to increase their total. I had a page merged when mine had the accurate burial location and the other page was a cenotaph.

The cenotaph page creator must have asked for the merge. I sure didn't.

@PissedConsumer1194210

I've never had *** refuse to look at the history of a memorial. Those who typically move their Burial Unknowns into a cemetery and want the second (but correctly created) memorial deleted are "family collectors" who continually misuse the site.

View more comments (2)
Council Bluffs, Iowa

Transfer memorals

1.5
I had contacted them on a few occasions requesting that my fathers and grandfathers memorial be transferred to me and after months of time I still have not gotten a response. It states that you may request your ancestors of 4 generations to be transferred to you. Your parents and grandparents online memorial. Don't believe that. There is no contact phone number for a reason. And they do not answer the emails either.  The idea was good but the lack of control and management are what will undo all the good intentions of the site creators.

I really don't have much respect for those people on F-G who are too greedy to handover another persons family members memorials to their families...just because you did all the exhausting work to cut and paste a memorial form a newspaper, or cut and paste some history from some history book. Who do you people think you are anyway ?

It is sacrilegious to mess with peoples personal families memorials just so you can show-off with great big numbers on your ignorant profile page . FG should be a place to show respect for the deceased AND ALSO FOR THEIR FAMILIES!!!! It is not a place for you to exploit people nor their beloved deceased family members. Geeezzzeeers!

Instead you lowlifes are standing around like large evil vultures from the depts of *** just waiting to grab someones obituary from the newspaper to add BIG NUMBERS to ignorant profile page, and then you fools have the nerve to pat yourselves on the back as if you have accomplished something great in your nothing lives.

It is more like being a lying conniving, vampire psychopath for the dead . You guys are not compassionate nor good people, but are extremely DUMB!

Samad
@PissedConsumer1130062

Extremely DUMB people are the ones that can't // won't read // follow the site's faqs or don't //refuse to understand what is // is not allowed on Findagrave.

Then there are managers of memorials who die...

So now you cant get your family's memorials because the NON RELATIVE who created them has passed away...

The person would have transferred them because they don't want the 30,000 memorials..in the first place. BUT FIND A GRAVE WONT TRANSFER my relatives to me.

You request it once through the Edit tab using the sixth option down. After 30 days, if not transferred, you forward a copy of that to info@***.com and they will transfer them to you. Don't keep sending requests to the manager if they haven't done it the first time.

@PissedConsumer1110932

They still haven't transferred.

They take forever to respond.

@PissedConsumer1115387

Not true. They respond quite promptly.

Two sides - it all depends on what you sent them and the clarity of your request. People also forget that if the other person is also related within four gens, they don't have to transfer them.

View more comments (5)
Connecticut, United States
Cons
  • Unresponsive administrators
  • Accessability
Preferred solution
Transfer my familys memorials as is only right.