Show reviews that mention
site family people information memorials memorial cemetery members website member
Showing 23 of 662 reviews Clear filter
Filter review

Verified Reviewer

Hi I'm looking for a photo of Chandler Tripp from San Jose CA.

3.0
He had named the school from his name for the handicapped children and I went to that school until 8 I'm trying to remember the year he died if you have any photos of him I would like to have one by email please. My new email is turchandale92@***.com Thank you Dale Turchan.
ID
#2204112 Review #2204112 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Sacramento, California

502 Bad Gateway

3.3
Find A Grave - 502 Bad Gateway
I have been trying to get into the findagrave.com website for an hour now, so I can see a family member's memorial. All I get is 502 Bad Gateway! What's going on with findagrave.com. Normally this is an awesome website to find information about family members; leave flowers and a message for a loved one; or even create a new memorial for a recently lost loved one. Did the website get deleted?
Find A Grave Website
Pros
  • I love to volunteer to help transcribe headstones and memorials
  • Excellent resource for family research
  • Old website
Cons
  • Needs a better way to contact when there are errors
Apology

Deceptive Practices

2.8
Please add my complaint to the ever growing list of dissatisfaction with Find A Grave Practices. My primary concern is that they led one to initially believe they care about family members managing family memorials. This turns out to be true in very limited situations. Primarily, that no one has created the Memorial. If someone has created it, and refuses to transfer to a family member, then you are out of luck. There are very limited instances in which the company will help the family member. But, for all those who are snapping grave photos and have made it another video game to compete based on their total number of Memorials well you are in luck!! Because you can refuse any legitimate family member, and your off to win your game!!
ID
#2044608 Review #2044608 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Find A Grave Website
Pros
  • Easy to use
Cons
  • Failing to allow close family data being entered into memorials

Watch Out

3.0
Anyone can post on loved ones site; good or disturbing, and make their own site for your lives ones. Did not think to save posted photos as info removed but happened. Find a grave NEVER helps or replies but let the person of interest in death take over site.
Angelle

Yep! I was kicked off and my account deleted and no reason was given to me other than I was a stalker.

Okay, so I guess when one person that is not a relative continually post incorrect information on my immediate relatives sites and I attempt to correct them that I am a stalker. This Site Is A Farce

Restricted C
@Ernest F K

So true; relatives cannot correct but others can, and FAG saves their errors.

View more comments (1)
ID
Pros
  • Family friends can see loved one
Cons
  • Posts by non friends or family are damaging
Preferred solution
Not allow persons involved in death to take over sites

Update by user Jan 09, 2019

I can not share with my ancestry account even when it is given to me from them, why?

Original review posted by user Jan 08, 2019
Login password reset, please. And also I cannot share any grave pictures to my ancestry accounts?
Find A Grave Account
Cons
  • Inability to file complaints with company
Help
Fix

Your trust is our top priority

• 100% user-generated content
  • Professional automated and live moderation
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Equal Opportunity and Protection
  • Verified content

For more information about PissedConsumer check out our Blog article

Added Insult To Injury

2.8
I was curious, and I wanted to learn more about My Grandmother, Tancy Lauren Argo Lecroy. So I came across Her Memorial listing, which is controled, and maintained by OkieBran, who does not want to be contacted by anyone. There is a lot of missing information about My grandmother, and My family. Knowing the truth, knowing who My family members are, and knowing the horrible way My Grandmother died, with My Mother helplessly watching Her flesh and blood die, the actions of OkieBran upsets Me, with disrespect, and makes Me sick to My stomach, I want to puke and throw up My guts until I puke blood. If anyone can get OkieBran to respect the living family members, please e-mail me, mlouque6@***.com, and I will contact You further from there, Thanks, Michael Louque.
Blimie

So confused here... First, you wanted to learn more about your grandmother so you found her memorial on Find A Grave.

Then you say there was missing information from the memorial and you're sickened by the disrespect of the member who added it.

Because it didn't have the horrible way your grandmother died? Or because you wanted the memorial to include the horrible details?

How would anyone here know how to get a hold of Findagrave member OakieBran? Maybe you should be thankful to OakieBran for taking the time to make a memorial to your deceased relative instead of puking your guts up until you bleed because the memorial doesn't have the information you think is vital.

If you've joined the site, you can submit the info to the memorial yourself by clicking the "Suggest Edits" button. Every contributor who manages at least one memorial can be contacted via this method: Click the "Suggest Edits" button; scroll down the page to the "Suggest other corrections" button.

Click it. Type your message in the text box.

Mark the box to send yourself a copy. Click the "Send Message" button.

View more comments (2)
San Mateo, California
Bad quality

This site has gotten out of hand

3.0
When I joined 9 years ago, it was a simple site where people could find out where an ancestor was buried and even ask a volunteer to take a photo of the headstone if there wasn’t one. Now there are people who are emassing thousands of memorials, either because they are obsessed with collecting them or are control freaks who want control of them all. Many have now started adding detailed information that is not proven. They don’t use proper genealogical practices and rely on unofficial sources such as obituaries. They are lift information off ancestry.com with no thought to its accuracy or giving the person credit. It’s like plagiarism gone amok. Family members are horrified to find a stranger is managing their relative’s memorial. Some people will transfer it but many won’t. The people who collect thousands if memorial will just randomly keep suggesting edits in the hope that the owner will just transfer the memorial to them. Very few understand genealogy. They read an old newspaper article and think that is proof. It is a total mess. I find it really sad. A headstone and year of birth & death is adequate. If they want to do more they should open up their wallets and subscribe to ancestry.com, stop doing someone elses’s family tree and just worry about their own.

I agree with this person totally. I would love to just have the memorials for my family to help other family members.

But, it's very hard to get cooperation from the people who claim the memorial. In fact, I have yet had one to transfer ownership!

i don't agree with the name this consumer gave himself. That is NOT professional!

Don't revise history. Nine years ago, people were also creating thousands and thousands of memorials.

The reasons they are doing so are as myriad as there are members. Some do it for genealogy. Some do it because they are taphophiles. Some do it to preserve history.

Some do it just because they like the format. None of those reasons are wrong. Nine years ago people were adding info from Ancestry without further verification. That hasn't changed at all.

There were also people who added unverified "family lore". They still do. Nine years ago, there were people who objected to "strangers" creating their family member's memorials. However, nine years ago, there were no transfers.

A headstone and years of birth and death ARE adequate. Nine years ago, Find A Grave didn't say "stick to your own family." They still don't because "family" isn't the purpose of Find A Grave.

I am so tired of self-proclaimed "geneaologists" showing up on FAG and getting on their high horse about contributors on FAG. Some of the contributors to FAG could run circles around these whiny "genealogists" when it comes to research.Don't like FAG? Don't use FAG.

@PissedConsumer1512519

You're just a jealous person! What you say is all complete nonsense!

If you can do the long tedious hours of research than get with it MAN!

And how would you know if these people there are all self proclaimed genealogists? Have you asked them personally?

@PissedConsumer1512718

I agree, if coping people's PERSONAL newspaper obituarys, and confiscating photos from the newspaper be considered doing better work than what a genealogist does. I stick my finger down my throat and choke.

@PissedConsumer1513001

Clueless. You base your comments on what some do so it fits your childish agenda of putting down FAG members. After you are done choking, get a nose adjustment so that you are not always looking down it.FAG does not need you and your ilk on its site.

@PissedConsumer1512718

The old "tell someone they are jealous" response - when you have nothing of substance to add.I have yet to meet a person who complained about the research of others who did not view themselves as some sort of genealogy guru.Eever look at the trees on Ancestry? Ninety percent of them are the source of a headache, not any really factual info. Misinformation is regurgitated from tree to tree.It's not research, it is cut and paste crap.

@PissedConsumer1514327

Yep, you are definitely a jealous person! All you have done from one end of this PCon., is nag, and gripe at everyone! Maybe you should take a long break or perhaps leave F--g.

@PissedConsumer1515741

The *** who post on here and complain about Findagrave are pathetic. They cannot follow rules or read instructions.

@PissedConsumer1514327

LOL LOl LOL :) U R SAD!

View more comments (14)
Bad quality

Always changing stuff the way they want to, not what the custmer wants

3.0
If they are going to make changes, then ask their subscribers what change(s) they would like to see, not what the administrators want changed. And, add a damn phone number, so we can call in when we have a problem, and not just using an email address to contact you by, then wait 4 or 5 days for a reply. My problem is now, not 4 or 5 day later. *** by that time, I have already forgotten what my problem was in the first place, but you are probably hoping I will do that anyway. And too, when we call in, make sure it isn't out sourced to a country like Pakistan, or India, where we, as customers, can actually understand what the person trying to help us is saying.

Do you ask your guests how to decorate your home? Didn't think so.

At least they take personal information off their memorials for those who are listed on a monument that are alive, unlike "Billions of Graves" who invade everyones privacy including the living ! They have some lowlife slobs there who accumulate names even for the living!

They do not understand privacy. Criminal behavior!

@PissedConsumer1505466

I agree.Actually f-grave is more of a genealogy website now which makes it much better. I appreciate the ones there who give family memorials to family.

And people who add memorials are still welcomed. People just need to learn to share and put family first over vultures who hoard graves for numbers. Just because you took a cemetery picture doesn't mean you should have all rights to another persons family.

No need to be greedy. Our world is too full of narcism!

View more comments (2)
Find A Grave Website
Cons
  • Having to change my passcode
Find A Grave - Very frustrating
Does not find our family cemetery under original name, Thistlewood Cemetery or current name, Bee hgrove Cemetery. I was on the site trying to add my Uncle's gtave and photos and it messes up and loses the place and when ypy start over can't find the cemetery. Pmease...

This site is Pissed Consumer, not Find A Grave, no one is going to call you from here. Go to Findagrave.com, look under the FAQ's and it tells you how to get a hold of them.

But look on the bright side, you just posted your phone number for the whole world to see. :/

Find A Grave Products and Services Reviews

1.5
Compare Find A Grave vs Ancestry

Latest Question

finding jazzman717

I have been trying to contact jazzman717 via find a grave. I take care of a cemetery and this person often updates info on this site. I run a museum in our town and have been given boxes of old local newspapers which have...

Find A Grave Questions
3.4
Findagrave The New Findagrave is a Software Engineers Dream of Improvement, but to me is a Nightmare. It is a jumble of pages, advertisements and confusion. While everything is there it is very hard to follow and lacks any Beauty. The Old Findagrave was a Mona Lisa....

This change. Either move on or complain endlessly. Your choice.

Dallas, Texas
3.0
Why can I not search for a person's memorial page using their memorial ID number?? Was this feature left out......on purpose?? I used to use it more than anything else. There is too much open space between the elements that people are seeking to use. Put all of the key...
Shakelia

Searching by memorial number is there. Click the "More search options" link beside the Search button.

You couldn't edit or supply information about a specific cemetery on the old site either.

You have to go to Find A Grave's Community Forums to do that.

I'll admit, I don't know how to create a new cemetery but I'm sure it's there.

You could see all of your memorials on the old site too - at least until you hit the 10k mark.

All you have to do is click the "Search" to narrow the list. Why is that a problem?

Find A Grave Website
Pros
  • I used to love it using the old web site
New web site
Preferred solution
Keep the old web site and make slight modifications to it.
2.6
At first *** appears to be a wonderful site for family memorials and family tree help... But BEWARE, what you write on their site NEVER belongs to you. The admins who work for f.a.g, own everything, they can-&-do give your work to whoever they wish and you are NEVER...

True - True - True

Gruesome Obit Hunters allowed free reign over family

3.3
Been fighting for over a year to get my uncle (and my father's twin brother) linked to his parents, grandparents, and siblings. Have US census records, US Cemetery records indicating his siblings, headstone with entire family's names on it including his and this nutcase still won't create the link and FindAGrave.com will do nothing. And I'm not the only one with issues. This site allows non-related individuals to control entries simply by the virtue of an obituary and only allows immediate family to take control of the entry - which I actually am okay with since I don't have so much ego I need ownership, bit family members information should ALWAYS take precedence over some whack job Obit hunter.

Here's the process to follow to get the links made:

1.) Submit the relationship links on the Edit tab.

2.) Wait for the memorial manager to accept or decline. They have 21 days in which to do so.

3.) If declined, go back to the Edit tab and choose the 6th option "Suggest any other correction".

3a.) Type out your requesting, including sources (preferably links) that prove the relationship.

3b.) Mark the box to send yourself a copy of the email, then submit.

4.) Wait for memorial manager to act on the Suggest A Correction. They have 30 days in which to do so. 5.) After 30 days, if the link is not made, forward your copy of the Suggest A Correction to the appropriate administrative address (found in the FAQs). 6.) Wait for the administrators to make the change.

It is currently taking 5-6 weeks for them to get to emails. NOTE: The memorial manager has the right to decline the relationship links IF the other memorials are "Unknown Burials".

Find A Grave Website
Cons
  • Poor staff
  • Getting screwed over
  • Posting of incorrect information

Garbage In, Garbage Out

2.9
*** can be helpful in research, but like Ancestry, there are so many errors, it hard to know what is right. Many contributors take photos and create records of every name in a cemetery--whether anyone is buried or not. Purchase of a plot and stone is called preplanning and does not constitute a burial. Contributors create the records with no knowledge of the family. Several of my relatives have errors related to maiden names and children. Some contributors are more willing to correct, but why make up data to begin without? I don't have an issue with establishing a record of deceased individuals, but leave the living alone and do not make up info on your contribution if you have no personal knowledge of the family.
Shakelia

If someone is "mowing the rows" (taking a photo of every grave in the cemetery), they do not know more information than what is on the stone. Additional information may come from research OR from edits submitted by others.

There is no way to know what was added directly by the memorial creator or what was submitted by others and which the memorial manager accepted on "good faith" believing others would not knowingly submit false info. Therefore, blaming the memorial manager for "making up" info is unfair.

Good news!! You can submit corrections to the incorrect info on the Edit tab.

If your suggestion is declined, you can follow up with documentation to the manager by sending a "Suggest A Correction (the 6th option on the Edit tab). After 30 days, if the manager still won't correct the memorial, you can appeal to Find A Grave directly by forwarding the "Suggest A Correction" to the appropriate address and clearly/succinctly requesting the change.

Semaj

I agree completely... it is not fair (or ethical) to leave the family out of the loop when making decisions about the content of these memorials.

I do like the ability to establish a memorial for our loved ones.

But many of the contributors on Find A Grave are not receptive to input from the family. Find A Grave's policies stand firmly by this disregard of the family of the deceased.

@Semaj

You hit the nail on the head my friend!

@PissedConsumer1345627

There are ten troublemakers there who only live to collect flowers for their personal memorials every single day. A VERY STRANGE BUNCH!! ODDBALLS!!

@PissedConsumer1345627

I don't like all the changes that are being made to find-a-g. Can't keep up with all of it!

@PissedConsumer1350115

Seems all the usual troublemakers, whiners and nut cases are complaining about all the changes that will take place soon. Actually its better for those who have a brain on this site.

Those who are grumbling in the flower department, as said, whine about everything and everyone.

They are to be ignored! On with the changes *-*-*-.....

View more comments (5)
Find A Grave Genealogy Record
Pros
  • Ability to search for a gravesite
Cons
  • Inability to file complaints with company

Find A Grave - Genealogy Record Review

3.1
Someone is using my father's celebrity status (with wrong name as I know my own father's birth name) and I could not create a grave on my own father because it is considered a duplicate. Findagrave deleted mine because a "fan" used my father's in his. He refused to transfer to me. I couldn't create my own family connection. How do I do that? I contacted findagrave with no responses. I wish there was a number I could call.

If Find A Grave considers your father "famous" they will take over management of the memorial as they do all famous individuals. If they do not consider your father famous, you can message the creator of the memorial thru the Edit tab (6th option) and write a message, stating your relationship and asking for it to be transferred to you. It is a required transfer.

I just wanted to say I am sorry you were treated this way.

View more comments (1)