53 views

I have been researching genealogy for over 20 years. The information available via Find a Grave is usually in Ancestry.

My family is upset because my relatives' (including my father and brother) private family cemetery, located on private property (we have the deed) and owned by the family for almost 100 years was entered by a stranger without permission. This person is an author who lives in another state. She photographed the headstones and created memorials. She even listed my very alive mother as deceased because her name is on a double headstone with my dad.

Then, she ignored requests to transfer those memorials from various family members. Find A Grave will not intervene on all of the memorials because aunts, uncles, and cousins are not within 4 degrees of relationship. She is a stranger who committed a crime to access the cemetery! She has thousands of memorials.

I doubt she is related to many of them.

I grew up with these people and loved them. Find a Grave should require memorials to only be created by a family member.

User's recommendation: Complain and Keep Complaining.

Product or Service Mentioned: Find A Grave Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Find A Grave Pros: Gives some good information.

Find A Grave Cons: Strangers create memorials & refuse to transfer to relatives.

Comments

#1935020

They did the same to my mothers headstone. Took a picture without consent and put it online.

My mothers burial was private and we even kept obituary offline. These *** come along and take a picture and put it online. That is an invasion of privacy.

So now I keep watching to see if they do it again. I will take legal action.

#1936663
@PissedConsumer1935020

They do not need consent to post your family photos as long as they took the photos. If you do not own the property then it is called public domain. The AG ruled this, one does not own a grave and the owner may or may not delete it.

Find A Grave Reviews