Their newly designed site looks to be aimed primary at gaining many more advertising impressions in much more prominent spots. The basic stuff that an actual human user would do was not taken into account.

They've spread out the five or six main tasks across multiple pages and multiple tabs. Everything commonly need used to be on the first page, right at the top. There were ads, but they were smaller and less obtrusive.

Please see my side-by-side photo with new site on the left and old on the right. You can see way more immediate information on the old site.

Review about: Find A Grave Website.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

DRMFreeZone

It's bad enough that there are now Four ads on each memorial page (where there used to be only one); but some of them are in incredibly poor taste for a website whose purpose (at least in part) is supposed to be honoring deceased family members and friends. Recently I've seen ads for theater movies with curse words in their taglines; and promotions for Planned Parenthood paying homage to liberal Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (which I personally find extremely offensive).

I have ad blocking software, which I used mostly due to extremely slow internet access where I live; but it also renders the "Save To" link (the shortcuts to editing virtual cemeteries, copying and printing) inaccessible on the new Find A Grave site. The admins have admitted this in their discussion forums; and it seems it was designed that way intentionally, as there has been relatively little positive response to any of the user-reported issues that need attention (like for example, the calendar date changing over at 8 p.m. EST instead of 2 a.m. like it was set previously).

Does anyone have an estimate on the present activity levels of the site, as compared to what they were prior to the upgrade? I'd imagine that a significant percentage of longtime contributing Find A Grave members have become disillusioned with the site (due to these and many other issues rendering the website considerably less user-friendly), and have reduced their participation accordingly.

Absolutely true! What a mess.

I haven't created a lot of memorials but I HAVE been able to do a LOT of linking of parents, children, grandparents, etc. because of my genealogy research. If this site stays the way it is, there is no way I will spend the time and energy needed to try and track through all the spread-out stuff they have on there. What you could once see at a glance, you now have to click and click and click and TAKE NOTES on in order to keep it straight.

They are obviously more interested in promoting their other sites than in providing a true quality product.

They've turned it into an advertising gimmick and I'm afraid it will soon be of little to no value for anyone. I really don't think very many people are going to be willing to wade through all of that nonsense just to add a name or try to link individuals together.

Could not agree more. If this site stays up i will stop uploading memorials. This new site is the absolute ***!

GoodCitizen
to Roder51 #1392220

The site is going to stay.

to Roder51 #1398882

Roder51 - yep, I agree with you. Adding memorials and submitting edits has become too tedious.

It was straight forward and easy before. Now, not so. I will stop contributing. Too bad for Find A Grave (and for countless families in search of their loved ones) because I spent a LOT of time connecting memorials and discovering relationships, which in my opinion is the desired result of the entire effort.

What good is a bunch of unidentified graves with no links and no bio info? They are just stones in a grave yard - just as anonymous as they were when the FAG member first photographed it.